General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Time Sprint Triathlon Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-21 7:21 PM

Subject: First Time Sprint Triathlon Questions

I am doing my first triathlon ever on Sunday, and I realized this morning I have a gazillion questions and/or worries.  It's the Solana Beach sprint triathlon.   The articles on this site were super-helpful answering a number of my questions, but I have few left.  I apologize if someone has already answered these questions in prior posts or articles.  I am posting in the hope that someone out there has some words of wisdom.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1)  Pacing?  I have been trying to simulate each portion of the race during a workouts, and sometimes 2 of the 3, going at or near the goal race pace I set for myself.  But I really don't know what to expect during the real thing.  I guess my question is:  how should I feel during and after the swim and the bike?  Should I feel completely fresh after the swim?  What should my perceived level of effort be on the bike?  How should I feel after the bike (I know that my legs will feel pretty heavy for the first 10 minutes or so on the run)?

2)  What is the bike course likely to be marked with?  For a 9 mile course, are there generally signs and volunteers (like in a 10K run), or just arrows painted on the pavement (like a 100 mile ride)?  I just don't want to wander off the course and waste time doubling back  -- I did that on my century ride last October. 

3)  When do I put the race number on my jersey?  I think I am supposed to have my race number stapled to my bike, and some of the things I have read suggest that you only need to put on the race number belt (which I bought) just before the run.  Is there any standard procedure there?

4)   Does anyone have one piece of advice for me to concentrate on during each of the three sections?

2008-07-21 7:38 PM
in reply to: #1547223

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: RE: First Time Sprint Triathlon Questions
pton98 - 2008-07-21 7:21 PM

I am doing my first triathlon ever on Sunday, and I realized this morning I have a gazillion questions and/or worries.  It's the Solana Beach sprint triathlon.   The articles on this site were super-helpful answering a number of my questions, but I have few left.  I apologize if someone has already answered these questions in prior posts or articles.  I am posting in the hope that someone out there has some words of wisdom.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1)  Pacing?  I have been trying to simulate each portion of the race during a workouts, and sometimes 2 of the 3, going at or near the goal race pace I set for myself.  But I really don't know what to expect during the real thing.  I guess my question is:  how should I feel during and after the swim and the bike?  Should I feel completely fresh after the swim?  What should my perceived level of effort be on the bike?  How should I feel after the bike (I know that my legs will feel pretty heavy for the first 10 minutes or so on the run)? I would say listen to you body. Make sure on the swim to start out slower than normal. With all the race jitters you will have a tendancy to start out too fast. It's a sprint and I have no idea your fitness level. Many would say don't hold anything back since it is a sprint.

2)  What is the bike course likely to be marked with?  For a 9 mile course, are there generally signs and volunteers (like in a 10K run), or just arrows painted on the pavement (like a 100 mile ride)?  I just don't want to wander off the course and waste time doubling back  -- I did that on my century ride last October.  Chances are you won't be leading or at the very back of the pack. You should be able to follow those in front of you. I know around here they mark the bike route with paint on the road. Best advise is to take time to drive or ride the course. This will help you become familar with the course and any hills, sharp turns, etc.

3)  When do I put the race number on my jersey?  I think I am supposed to have my race number stapled to my bike, and some of the things I have read suggest that you only need to put on the race number belt (which I bought) just before the run.  Is there any standard procedure there? You can attach the number to the belt then put the belt on in T2 just before you head out for the run (unless your RD insists on you wearing the # on the bike also, then put the belt on in T1).

4)   Does anyone have one piece of advice for me to concentrate on during each of the three sections? Best advice, have fun. Be prepared but don't overthink this. Very few people make the podium their first time out. Set your goals and try to reach them, but more importantly have fun. If you have fun you are more likely to make tris a lifestyle. Then you can concentrate on improving your times. Good luck!!!

2008-07-21 7:41 PM
in reply to: #1547223

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
1) Pacing: for your first triathlon, I'd say go at a moderate pace in all three legs. Go no faster than in training, and don't let yourself get out of breath. That's how I approached my first race.

2) All the triathlons I have done have been well marked with volunteers at all the turns pointing you which way to go for the bike and run. Plus, there are other racers around to follow. Hopefully, your race will be well organized, too!

3) If you have a race belt, just clip that on during T2 (transition between the bike and the run). There is a separate race number that you put on your bike top tube.

4) Above all else, HAVE FUN!

Get to your race early so you have plenty of time to set things up. You can also observe what other folks are doing (aka putting race numbers on their bike, how to rack your bike, etc) and you can follow suit.

Good luck!

Edited by keyone 2008-07-21 7:43 PM
2008-07-22 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1547294

Thanks for the responses!  My nerves are more in control now.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Time Sprint Triathlon Questions Rss Feed