General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chain ring question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-29 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Maine
Subject: Chain ring question

Ok, showing my ignorance here...I've been checking out the 1/2 ironman training plan here on BT, and several times it mentions doing an easy ride in the small chainring. I have a road bike with three chain rings. I'm thinking that for me the small chainring would actually be the middle one? Is this right? Related question - can you remove one of the rings without throwing off the whole system?

Thanks for the info all!

Rob

Edited by huskyboy 2005-01-29 6:41 PM

2005-01-29 7:12 PM
in reply to: #110136

Veteran
MO
Subject: RE: Chain ring question

Generally, I think triple cranks are integrated into the rest of the system. I asked a similar question of my LBS a few months ago, because I was thinking of buying a bike with a double and swapping it for a triple. The guy I talked to said that I'd need to swap out so many other components (derailleurs, I forget what else - he estimated $100-$200 in components) that if I really wanted a triple I should just buy a bike with one in the first place.

Can I ask why you want to remove your third ring? It's not adding that much weight to your bike, and if you don't want to use it you can just.......well, not use it.

2005-01-29 8:06 PM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
The smallest chainring of a triple crank is mostly for climbing when someone doesn't have much leg strength.

The type of chainring you have will determine the ease of removal; your LBS could tell you that. As for new derailleurs, I would be surprised if this were the case for taking one off. You would just adjust the limits of the front. That being said, as Angie pointed out, if you don't need the lowest ring, don't use it. You're probably only going to shave 100 g or so to remove it.

As for the 1/2 IM training plan recommendation, yes, use your middle chain ring. I would assume that this is to encourage high cadence, which builds endurance. As opposed to using the big ring and getting above your lactic threshold.
2005-01-29 8:20 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-01-29 9:06 PM

Master
Maine
Thanks for the answers. I was really just more curious about the ring removal thing, so I think I'll be leaving it in place. Too bad, I'm sure my speed would have jumped dramatically .
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chain ring question Rss Feed