General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to start a female TRI Training Group in North Houston Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-23 9:31 PM

New user

Subject: Looking to start a female TRI Training Group in North Houston

Calling all goddesses of TRI sports, pro's, ametuers and wannabes.

I would like to start somekind of ladies TRI group.  Ongoing, not race specific.  I want to hear YOUR thoughts, suggestions, is there already one around??

Thanks!Kiss

2008-07-23 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1554297

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: RE: Looking to start a female TRI Training Group in North Houston

Hi Lauri!  I would love to have someone to ride with.  My swim and run training has to fit around kids but I am wanting to get out on Sunday for a nice ride - an actual in the saddle ride as i am limited to the spinner for the week.  I'm technically in Cypress - but live 1/2 block from city limits.   What are your thoughts?

Cathleen

2008-07-24 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Where are you thinking about (North Houston covers a lot of ground)? The Woodlands Cycling Club has started a Women's Race team that rides together (women only) once per week. It's a good group of women if anyone's interested in joining us Sunday nights. That's the closest thing I know of a women's specific training group around and I'd definitely be interested in joining one for other rides/runs/swims. Let me know what you're thinking!
2008-07-24 10:26 AM

New user

I am very interested in joining a women's group for tri training.  I am beginning training for the Lone Star in April and am TOTALLY lost on places to ride other than my neighborhood!  I live in the Tomball area, but am open to driving for a ride on the weekends.
2008-07-27 6:01 PM

User image

The Woodlands, TX

I am interested too. I am in The Woodlands area. I'm a total newbie, planning on doing the Stephanie Johnson Tri in Sept. and hopefully many more!

I've been searching for a group up here and haven't found one. 

2008-07-30 8:25 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
So how do we get this started?

2008-07-30 8:51 PM

User image

The Woodlands, TX

I don't know what you ladies have in mind, but I would love someone(s) to do a OWS with. I haven't done one yet and don't plan on trying it by myself.

I'm really open to anything. The Woodlands has some great bike and running routes.

What areas and days/times is good for everyone? 

Kelly 

2008-07-31 1:17 PM
in reply to: #1571723

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
mom2boys70 - 2008-07-30 8:51 PM

I don't know what you ladies have in mind, but I would love someone(s) to do a OWS with. I haven't done one yet and don't plan on trying it by myself.

I'm really open to anything. The Woodlands has some great bike and running routes.

What areas and days/times is good for everyone? 

Kelly 

I'm not sure where we can OWS around here. If anyone knows, I'd love to go out and practice with a buddy/group. As for running/riding...Wednesday nights I am almost always out in Woodlane wishing I had some riding buddies. It's close to the Woodlands, off of 2978. We could meet in the Woodlands and ride over together. If you haven't been back there, it's great riding. Wide opened roads, not much traffic. It's great for doing time trials and intervals.
2008-07-31 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1554308

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
houston-tri-mama - 2008-07-23 9:36 PM

Hi Lauri!  I would love to have someone to ride with.  My swim and run training has to fit around kids but I am wanting to get out on Sunday for a nice ride - an actual in the saddle ride as i am limited to the spinner for the week.  I'm technically in Cypress - but live 1/2 block from city limits.   What are your thoughts?

Cathleen

Are you thinking Sunday mornings or evenings? I ride with a women's group on Sunday evenings. Depending on the distance you are looking for, I can hook you up with them. Some weeks it's great tri trainning, others not so much. We could always do our own thing on the weeks that they're doing racing strategy stuff.
2008-07-31 4:38 PM

User image

The Woodlands, TX

Wednesday nights work for me too if you don't mind riding with a newbie. I don't want to hold anyone back. Smile

Sundays also work for me right now. I'm training for the Houston 1/2 so my long runs are on Saturday, once they get too long, I may need that as a recovery day though.

Kelly 

2008-08-01 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1574265

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
mom2boys70 - 2008-07-31 4:38 PM

Wednesday nights work for me too if you don't mind riding with a newbie. I don't want to hold anyone back. Smile

Sundays also work for me right now. I'm training for the Houston 1/2 so my long runs are on Saturday, once they get too long, I may need that as a recovery day though.

Kelly 

Of course I don't mind! It's more fun and easier to improve as a newbie if you ride with others. Plus, it's not like I'm an awesome rider or anything anyways. Sunday nights we have a women's ride. It's "all levels" but that kind of depends on who shows up. Wednesdays I can promise not to drop you

So, that being said - anyone want in for next Wednesday (August 6) evening??? We can meet in the Wooldands, at the YMCA off of Ashlane (best parking/meeting place close to Woodlane). We'll ride out together and base our drills and speeds off of who shows up. That or if anyone else has a good riding area and a place to meet, we can rotate where we go each week.

2008-08-01 3:10 PM
in reply to: #1576205

User image

The Woodlands, TX

That sounds great.

What time would you like to meet? 

2008-08-03 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
How does 6:15 sound?
2008-08-04 8:45 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX

FYI.....the water's not the greatest, but you can get in some open water swim practice at Lake Conroe. Lake Conroe Park off of 105 has two swim areas marked off by bouys. You can swim inside of these, or if you're a little more adventurous, swim from one to the other. The marked swim area isn't too far different from a race experience.....it gives you a bouy line to follow and the waves/chop/temperatures/turbidity that are so much different than the pool.

I think they charge $2 per person to get in, and it can be really crowded on weekend afternoons. They close around 7:00 during the week, and weekday afternoons / evenings are pretty empty.

2008-08-04 7:34 PM

User image

The Woodlands, TX

That sounds good. I'll PM you my email and phone #. Hopefully the weather will clear up by then.

Anyone else interested in joining us? 

Thanks for the OWS location! I'll have to try it out.

2008-08-07 12:23 PM

New user

Hey gals!  Ok, I dropped the ball...  Luckily Erin and Kelley picked it up! We met last night for a nice ride leaving from the YMCA through the Woodlands (Ashlane at Woodlands Parkway).  We are planning on meeting up again next Wednesday too.....  Just get intouch with any of us:  Erin, Kelly or myself if you would like to go!

Hope to see you there!Laughing

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Looking to start a female TRI Training Group in North Houston Rss Feed