General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how close is swim-run to swim-bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-25 10:29 AM

Expert
Southeast
Subject: how close is swim-run to swim-bike?

Swim-bike bricks are logistically tough for me -- I've managed only one (I'm very new to tri training).  But the other day, forced more by circumstance than by planning, I did a swim-run workout (actually, run-swim-run).  It went fine, but it got me to thinking...

How good preparation is swim-run for the actual transition of swim-bike?  (I'm not talking about doing T1, just about the physiological shift that occurs going from swimming to biking.)

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

2008-07-25 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1558885

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: how close is swim-run to swim-bike?
i am also relatively new to tri. only been doing them about a year. i personally do not find the swim-bike transition a difficult one, and did not do alot of swim to bike training. if you've done one before, what did it feel like? was it difficult? did your legs feel like they were screaming. If no, than you might not need to do alot of that type of training. your using very different muscle groups for the two sports so i have always felt pretty fresh getting on the bike from a swim. the most important thing (i think) to make sure you are training is the bike to run. for my first tri (a sprint) i did a brick workout every week so that i am not remotely phase by the move from biking to running, but I specifically remember feeling like death the first few times i did that.

on a different note.... why is it strategically difficult to train the swim to bike? does your pool have a bathroom or locker room? can you fit your bike in or on your car? are the roads near the pool user friendly for bikes? if yes, than it doesn't sound like it's difficult, maybe inconvenient.... but do it anyway.
2008-07-25 1:05 PM
in reply to: #1559340

Expert
Southeast

Thanks.

I agree that bike-run transitions seem more important, and those are no trouble, logistically, and I'm starting to get used to them.

I didn't find it terribly difficult to go from swim to run.  My legs felt a little soft at first, but my pace felt fine -- I could have pushed a lot faster if I had wanted to.

The logistical problems with swim-bike are many (for me), including timing and most especially the location of the pool (no way I'm leaving my shiny bike outside around there, even locked up).  It isn't just laziness on my part.  (I have a lot of faults, but laziness isn't among them.)

2008-07-25 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Most people seem to focus on the bike/run BRICKs. Body position and muscle groups used on the bike make standing upright and running a bit awkward and uncomfortable for .5 - a mile or so. Everything becomes easier with practice, but you should be fine without doing specific swim/bike workouts. Do practice your T1 layout and routine, though.
2008-07-25 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Montana
If you are just looking for a little feedback about your choice of gear, you could get yourself wet in your own shower and run through the house to your bike. I've read about people who do that. The only thing you might experience from the swim to the bike is light-headedness from standing up so fast. HTH
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » how close is swim-run to swim-bike? Rss Feed