General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri HELP!!! PLEASE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-25 5:12 PM

New user

Subject: First Tri HELP!!! PLEASE

Hey all--- so my first tri is coming up on Aug 10, and I guess I don't really know what to expect. I'm comfortable with all my training and my performance, but the only problem is I don't have any "gear." I don't own a tri or road bike. I've only been swimming in a jammer swim suit. I don't have a wet suit, nor do I own tri shirt/shorts, etc. Basically, everything I have is from my days as either a swimmer, a casual biker, or a runner.  This is my first time putting it all together...

Am I going to be completely out of place? Will I even be able to race? I went over the checklist that BT provides, but I don't have a race belt or anything... can someone please either reassure me that it's not necessary to have all this, or at least tell me what I do need? (I plan on doing more tri's, but I wanted to see what my first experience was like before I made any purchases) I am VERY new to this.

Thanks!!!

2008-07-25 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1560164

Subject: RE: First Tri HELP!!! PLEASE

Nope. It's not necessary. 

Don't worry, okay? Everything will go fine. No, you won't be out of place at all. Everyone has their first time, and it's stupid to buy hundreds of bucks worth of gear, if you turn out to not like it at all.  There will be a number of other first-timers at you're race, I'm sure. My first race was a few weeks ago, and there were a number of people on mountain bikes. You don't need all the gear. I had no wetsuit, and I just put a t-shirt and shorts over my swimsuit and biked in my running shoes--no fancy clip ons for me! Everything will go fine, just don't push yourself. Take your time and have fun!

2008-07-25 5:21 PM

User image

SC
As far as swim goes. If the water is warm enough jammers will be fine.

Bike: If its got 2 wheels and pedals then you should be good. You'll see other (prettier/more expensive) bikes there as well but there will also be ppl with older road and mtn bikes.

Run: Descent pair of shoes.

Don't worry about feeling outta place or anything b/c most ppl are there for their own reasons and to meet their goals and won't focus too much on anyone else. If anyone does say anything, which they won't, just tell them it's your first tri and all will be forgiven and they'll give you more advice then you'll ever be able to process.

Lots of people use w/e they can on their first few tris, don't worry about it. 99.9% of ppl at tri events are some of the nicest you'll meet. That's one of the things that turn so many ppl on to it.

Good Luck!!
Welcome to BT and to the sport.
2008-07-25 5:22 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-25 5:24 PM

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC

You will see just about everything at the race as far as gear goes.

What you MUST have is a good helmet, and your bike needs to be safe.

The race belt is nice, just because it is easier than trying to deal with safety pins and trying to get your number on your shirt.  They only run a few bucks, but it certainly isn't a huge deal if you don't have one.

Personally, I'd go ahead and buy a set of tri shorts, just because you can swim/bike/run in them and don't have to worry about trying to change.  Of course, I see no reason why you couldn't do the whole thing in your jammers, other than the lack of padding when you're doing the bike, which might get a tad uncomfortable depending on the distance.

I wouldn't worry about being out of place - go and have a good time!

2008-07-25 5:27 PM

also-- as for the race belt, I just pinned my number to my  shirt the night before, so after the swim i threw my shirt on and was good to go, but since you're a guy, you may not want to bother with a shirt.

2008-07-26 10:37 AM

New user
Pekin
Great question,  my first tri is next weekend and I was having the exact same anxiety towards what I needed on race day (kinda like the dream when we were kids and went to school in underwear).  Now your post has answered my question.  I will err on the side of caution and wear a shirt being I'm a 238lber.  Good luck
2008-07-26 2:23 PM

Expert
oregon ave,

I throw out something here too.  You don't need all the extra stuff-I agree.  Most likely, you won't be in the top finishers of your age group though.  If that is not a concern, then don't even worry about it.  You will see all kinds of stuff going on.  If you do this race and like it and want to get better/faster, then look into all the goodies later.

Good luck!

2008-07-26 3:04 PM

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member

I did my first tri in a speedo and on my mountain bike.  I pulled a T shirt on after the swim.  It all worked ok for the first one.

That said, my first purchase was a shirt that I could use as a tri shirt - that is swim in, bike in, and run in.  You can get a sleeveless 'training' shirt - C9 - at Target for ~$19.  It's worth it.  I get one that fits fairly tight so I can swim in it.  Then there is no changing clothes in transition.  Jammers are ok if you are ok biking in them.  My second purchase was a pair of tri shorts (after three races)

Good luck, and have fun!

2008-07-27 9:07 AM

Expert
Wellington, North Island
You'll be fine. My first tri was an olympic distance and I did it on a hybrid wearing regular shoes, no wetsuit in quite cold water, no race belt (I still don't wear one), no tri shorts (just threw on some shorts over my bathing suit), and no clue.

I raced sans the fancy equipment for two years and now I realize it was a better way to go for me in the end. I was on a limited budget and by that point I knew I was hooked and I also had a much better idea of what I would want for my gear. Don't worry about what you don't have and just enjoy the experience, because it will be awesome.
2008-07-27 12:13 PM

New user
Just did my first tri yesterday. If I would recommend anything it would be tri-shorts! You can find them on ebay or other triathlon/bike websites for discount or closeout prices. The only things that I feel are absolutely essential are:

Good goggles, tri-shorts and a positive attitude that you are out there for fun/learning the first time.

Just try to relax after the first 200m in the water and get into a rhythm with your stroke and breathing. The rest will fall into place.

Good luck and good tri-ing.

FiremanMc

2008-08-05 11:53 PM

New user

well thank you all so much for your advice... i only have a couple days til race day and i feel much better about everything.  any last minute tips would be greatly appreciated... however, i feel comfortable and confident now that you all have reassured me

good luck with the rest of your races and i'll post back soon letting you know how it worked out.

Joe 

2008-08-06 1:43 AM

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

I'm assuming its a sprint or olympic distance? You will be fine. There are plenty of people out there just doing their thing on whatever they have. Do make sure the bike and helmet are safe. There are plenty of articles on essentials, so I won't presume to tell you what you need becuase  you can look it all up yourself.  But, if you want suggestions feel free to send me a note.

You said you feel good about your training. That's awesome! Because that is the number one key to success in a race. It seems some of us forget that once and a awhile.

2008-08-06 7:42 AM

Master
Loveland, Ohio

I did my first tri at the end of June on a bike from Target.  Check out my album from that race, get a good giggle and feel better about your bike.

I'm just talking about clothing here:  I swam in a swim suit.  In T1, I put on an "athletic" shirt from Walmart, a pair of bike shorts I got from another BTer in the classifieds here.  In T2, I just switched to running shorts.

There are other things to consider like sunglasses, hydration, nutrition, etc., but this is really the bare minimum, especially if you're doing a sprint:

Swim.  You will need some swim outfit and a pair of goggles.

Bike: You have to have a bike and helmet.  Shorts and shirt.

Run: Running shoes, shorts and shirt.

I know BT has a good checklist, but check this one out, too.  It's from the book The Complete Idiot's Guide to Triathlon Training.  I took these notes.

Transition 1 Checklist       Page 106

Swim
Towel                                                  Foot rinse supplies

Bike
Bicycle                                                Helmet
Cycling shorts                                      Jersey or singlet
Bike shoes                                           Socks
Lubrication                                           Sunglasses
Pump, CO2, spare tubes                         Water bottles, energy drinks
Mike multi-tool                                      Floor pump
Nutrition for bike segment                       Heart rate monitor

Neutral
Contact solution or eye drops                 Transition hydration
Transition snack                                   Change of clothes
First-aid kit                                          Postworkout nutrition
Sunscreen                                           Keys/phone/cash

Transition 2 Checklist       Page 108

Bike
Towel                                                  Washcloth

Run
Socks                                                  Shoes
Shorts                                                 Jersey top
Sunglasses                                           Hat
Fuel belt                                              Nutrition for run
Hydration for run                                   Lubrication/liquid bandage

Neutral
Contact solution or eye drops                  Transition hydration
Transition snack                                    Change of clothes
First-aid kit                                           Postworkout nutrition
Sunscreen                                            Keys/phone/cash

Best of luck to you this weekend!

2008-08-06 8:17 AM

Veteran
Norcross, Georgia

jjost1...take a deep breath.  You are going to have a great race.  Most of us went through this same thing the first race.  You will be fine with what you have already.  After this race you will have an idea of what gear you would like to pick up for your next event. 

From personal experience, I bought a few things prior to understanding what I really wanted.  If I had waited I would have realized what items worked best for me.

Good Luck on Sunday!

2008-08-06 8:32 AM

This thread was exactly what I was looking for - thanks, everyone!!

2008-08-06 8:40 AM

Extreme Veteran
My first tri is the week after yours and the only thing I picked up special was a trisuit so I don't have to change. I found one on sale and got it. Other than that I have a pair of running shoes and my bike from Target that I've had for a few years now (along with a helmet).

Edited by jenni4 2008-08-06 8:41 AM
2008-08-06 8:48 AM

You can always change.  I do so for longer races because it just isn't healthy to stay damp.

But please, for the love of all that is good and holy, bring an extra towel and shield yourself.

2008-08-06 9:03 AM

Master
It's easy to feel intimidated on race day when you see all of the aero/carbon equipment, but don't be afraid to talk to people about their gear. Most people are quite nice and helpful, and you'll be able to see different ways of doing things that will give you an idea of purchases you may make in the future. Look at how people set up their transitions and their bike set-ups. Take the time to soak it all in, and don't forget to have fun.

Have a great race!
2008-08-12 10:15 PM

New user

Well alright!  I did it!

First tri over, and man I loved it!  It was so much fun.  It was a sprint tri in Naperville, IL and I ended up finishing in the top 25% overall.  My times were respectable, but I know I could have gone faster.

Regardless, it was a great experience... and you all were right.  The atmosphere was so friendly and laid back.  Nothing intimidating about it.  Thanks for all your help, and thanks for helping make my experience a great one! 

2008-08-13 9:17 AM

Expert
oregon ave,
Great job!  Glad you liked it and glad this site could help you.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri HELP!!! PLEASE Rss Feed