General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-workout nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-31 4:24 PM

New user

Lexington, KY
Subject: Post-workout nutrition
Hello all,

I've recently started my first serious attempt at triathlon training. I've slowly started to build my distance up over the last 2 months or so. I come from a background of very serious swimming training in high school and college, but this is quite a bit different. Anyway, recently I've noticed that after each workout I've been extremely hungry and I've reached for just about anything that's close (not always a healthy choice), but I've started wondering what should I be eating after a workout? I've concentrated very hard on rehydration with water and "electrolyte solutions" before, during, and after however I still feel hungry (not that these would curb my hunger). Which would be most appropriate carb-dense food, protein-dense food, combinatin carb and protein dense foods, or something else that I haven't fully considered? I'd appreciate any comments and suggestions although I have to admit I'm on a fairly restricted budget. I couldn't find a good answer to this searching the forum and most internet resources are at least co-sponsored by a food company which may or may not give the clearest and most honest answers.

Thanks and ave a good day!
Kevin Hatton

2005-01-31 4:39 PM
in reply to: #110754

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
Subject: RE: Post-workout nutrition
I usally drink Endurox immediately after run / bike / swim training. If that doesn't fill me up I go with multigrain toast with all natural peanut butter and a bannana on top. This is very dry, so to fix this I drizzle honey over it. I try to avoid the main brand peanut butter (Skippy, Jiff, etc) because they contain partially hydrogenated oil, which is very bad.

After strength training I use Myoplex Origninal (250 cal protein shake).
After drill intensive swimming / biking I use Myoplex Sport (500 cal protein / carb shake).
2005-01-31 4:41 PM

User image

San Jose, CA
Hi Kevin,

Depending on the length of the workout, I try to incorporate carb/protein/fat into each recovery meal. IE: The longer you workout, the more you should eat....Here are a couple of examples:
Short Workouts:
Glass of Chocolate Milk
1/2 Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich on Whole Wheat toast
1/2 Turkey and Avocado Sandwich on Whole Wheat toast
Small Apple, 1 oz of cheese, and 2 or 3 Whole Wheat crackers
Protien Shake made with berries, protein powder, and soy milk

Medium Workout:
Full Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich on Whole Wheat toast and a glass of Fruit Juice
Full Turkey and Avocado Sandwich on Whole Wheat toast and a glass of Fruit Juice
1 cup Spaghetti with 1/2 cup Meat Sauce
1 Whole Wheat tortilla with 1 oz cheese, and 4 oz chicken breast pieces (heat for 1 min. in microwave)

Loooong Workout:
Treat yourself to a big a$5 burrito from your favorite Mexican place (sans sour cream or creamy sauces)
Huge Salad with everything in it that you like (instead of dressing, try Seasoned Rice Vinegar or lemon wedges)...load it with lots of veggies and beans.
Big bowl of Chili with a big piece of Cornbread and Fruit Salad
Basically anything that will fill you up...you've worked hard, so don't skimp on the recovery fuel

I hope this helps, they sure work for me:-)
-Katie

2005-01-31 4:46 PM

Elite
Livingston, MT
After a workout I throw back an Endurox. Love the stuff and the best part is that it works well for me. About a half hour after that, I'll eat something with a mix of protein and carbs (usually a meal replacement bar). You may want to consider sucking down a gu or something similar before you excercise. I find that helps fuel the workout and I find that I'm not so hungry afterwards.

2005-01-31 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
I wish I'd read this thread last Saturday, after finishing my 5K event. I was famished, and its clear to me that I didn't fuel up afterward appropriately. Thanks for the info.
2005-01-31 5:17 PM

Master
Boston
Hi, I know my boyfriend drinks carnation instant breakfasts (rich milk choc kind) with milk after a workout, or eats cottage cheese with some fruit. Mixed nuts would be good, or even melted cheese on a tortilla.

2005-01-31 5:22 PM
in reply to: #110766

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tinton Falls, NJ
Katie,

Just read your post and wanted to add something. I'll keep my own views on specifically what you should consume as I don't want anyone to feel I'm turning this thread into a promo for PBN. With that being said, ask ChuckyFister if I steered him in the right direction when it comes to recovery nutrition :o)

If you do want to go w/ a food source vs a nutritional supplement immediately post-workout, I would strongly suggest you eliminate the fat calories. I am a big proponent of an equally balanced 40/30/30 dietary program outside of that 'recovery window', but during the critical period immediately post-workout, you don't want to consume anything which would inhibit the uptake of quality CHO & PRO into your system. There is nothing in fat calories which aid in recovery and as a matter of fact, they significantly reduce the absorption rate of the other nutrients you're trying to get into your system.

Shoot me an e-mail or drop another post if you have any specific questions.

Brian Shea
www.PersonalBestNutrition.com

2005-01-31 5:49 PM
in reply to: #110806

Elite
Livingston, MT
BrianPBN - 2005-01-31 2:22 PM

With that being said, ask ChuckyFister if I steered him in the right direction when it comes to recovery nutrition )

I tend to take the advice of those that have IMFL times in the 9:30's and end up qualifying for Kona seriously, especially when they follow that up by kicking @$$ at Kona.

2005-01-31 6:00 PM
in reply to: #110816

User image

San Jose, CA
Urm..thanks I think. I just got my info from Chris Carmichael's book and tend not to take this all sooooo seriously. I just do what works for me and haven't had any issue with GI distress or injury. I'm not about to spend my precious time measuring meals to the gram or even worrying about the rate and percentage of absorbtion of any particular substance. I just give my body a balance of everything I know it needs and tend not to overdo it. My two cents only;-)

Cheers,
-KT
2005-01-31 6:31 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

I used to use Endurox R4 for about 3 years until I discovered Shaklee Physique.

I never really looked forward to Endurox R4 after a workout and it really wasn't that "satisfying" but mix Shaklee Physique with orange juice and you got yourself a darn yummy after workout drink that, well, has got good ol' OJ nutritional/antioxident properties in it.

Besides, my coach recommends it over R4 (had a "slight" influence on my decision

2005-01-31 6:40 PM
in reply to: #110823

Elite
Livingston, MT
Katie - 2005-01-31 3:00 PM

Urm..thanks I think. I just got my info from Chris Carmichael's book and tend not to take this all sooooo seriously. I just do what works for me and haven't had any issue with GI distress or injury. I'm not about to spend my precious time measuring meals to the gram or even worrying about the rate and percentage of absorbtion of any particular substance. I just give my body a balance of everything I know it needs and tend not to overdo it. My two cents only;-)

Cheers,
-KT

hmm, sorry if my post came off as a slam. It was intended to pat Brian on the back.

2005-01-31 6:50 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
to keep it simple, much of the research suggests your post workout should be carbs with some protein to aid in muscle reapair. Bowl of cereal, nat. peanut butter on whole grain/wheat bread...even a smoothie with lots of yummy fruits and soy/milk for the protein. And you really need to be sure your tank has some gas in it prior to your workout, not just hydrated, but fueled. let us know what you try and how it works!!!
2005-01-31 7:21 PM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario
Immediately afterwards I slam 250 ml Welch's grape and then scarf a whole wheat bagel and a little later chug a whey protein shake, or a smoothie with choc milk, peanut butter & banana blended...mmmmm...if my workout was resistance training. Follow up my next meal with lots of lean protein.  
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post-workout nutrition Rss Feed