General Discussion Race Reports! » Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Burley, Idaho
United States
Burley Lions Club
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Run around from T1 to T2 to determine where to best place all of my transition items. This is the first race where I've had to worry about two different transition areas.
Event warmup:

Light stretches/pre-race swim.
Swim
  • 16m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was much easier than expected! Very relaxing, and the current just kind of took me. It made me feel like the man :) I was flying!
What would you do differently?:

There were a few times I had to poke my head up to sight my line and tread water, and I'm sure I could shave another minute off of my swim time if I actually learned how to sight properly. Also, I get startled when I bang into others. If I could deal with that better, I'd be quicker too.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

I always struggle with T1... It's tough to get the suit off and get ready with everything for the bike. This time was even trickier because I'd forgotten my race belt for my number. I'd pinned it on to my top, and didn't want to swim with it, so I left my top at T1-- so I had to put it on after I was wet. It was a bit of a challenge. Also, I'd brought my sunglasses to the start by accident, so I had tied them to my tri short strings and swam with them in my wetsuit :) I had to untangle them to put them on in T1.

I would make sure that I left my sunglasses back at T1 prior to the race start, and also make sure that I could wear my top under my wetsuit. That would have saved nearly a minute.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 55s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 24.08 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course was exactly what I was hoping for, and I went into it feeling confident and familiar with this territory. It seemed very similar to the MS Bike Tour I'd participated in a month ago, and so I treated it similarly. That confidence allowed me to warmup on the bike in the first three or four miles and find a comfortable pace at about 24 mph! I kept looking down at my watch in disbelief, but seeing such a high number just made me want to keep pushing even stronger. I think participating in the Bike Tour and my recent rides have helped me to overcome any mental blocks I have had with this Oly distance ride in the past.

I'm not sure I would do anything different. I was trained and ready and I believe physically gave everything in my current ability on this ride. I gave it the perfect balance of good ride and rest for the run. I won't ever do triathlon again without aerobars. I know that made a huge difference!
Transition 2
  • 05m 25s
Comments:

This is where I REALLY screwed up on this race. I was so frustrated when I got into T2 and couldn't remember where I left my stuff!! Errgh! Should have paid attention to the row number before I started! Guess that's important when you have 1500+ participants. I spent nearly 4 minutes wandering around in transition before I ended up spotting my stuff.

I would make sure I know where my spot is in transition!! That's a rookie mistake! Why am I still making these stupid mistakes? This dumb mistake cost me several places in the race... Oh well.
Run
  • 52m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I'm not gonna lie. This was tough for me, but I was determined to come in at better than 8:30/mi pace for this stretch. The run is always a struggle for me after the bike, but I think the flats helped me to deal with this better. I felt pretty good for the first four miles, but it really started to get tough for the last two. I popped some candy at about 3.5 miles hoping it would give me just enough juice to endure the remainder of the run. Struggling at mile 5, I started to walk and just as I did, a guy behind me got me going again, and pushed me with the goal to finish 10 feet behind him. It hurt, but I pushed through the pain to finish strong without stopping, although not quite 10 feet behind him-- at least he was still in my sights.

I had to suffer through some pain in my achilles-- my shoes must have been too tight, and my socks didn't come up high enough. They rubbed the back of my ankles raw-- Ouch! But I didn't let that slow me up.

I would train more, and train harder. I want to get to where I can hold 7:30s for a 10k after a bike and swim. It just takes alot of work. Plus I could stand to stop drinking carbonated drinks... This may help :)
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch stretch stretch... After doing a 10k race thursday and then participating in this race, my calves were TIGHT! Ouch.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's always more mental than anything, especially in the run.. I need to learn how to overcome that block.

Event comments:

I thought this venue was excellent, and the event was very well organized for how large it was. There were plenty of volunteers to help make sure we all did the right thing. I'll definitely put this on my list of races to do!

Last updated: 2008-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:41 | 1640 yards | 01m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetsuit Full
Course: Straight course along the river with the current. Starting from the golf course to the T1 area (Scholar Park) in Burley.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:01:55 | 24.85 miles | 24.08 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Very flat course, with a few mild hills that we had to climb up/ride down. For all intents and purposes, this route is FLAT!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:52:06 | 06.21 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Again, a very flat course for the most part. The first little stretch, no more than about 1/8 mile was uphill, but then it stayed flat for the remainder. Not much shade for most of the run, so heat is a factor.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 12:39 PM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah
Subject: Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon

2008-07-28 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1562604

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: RE: Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon

Great Job, Billy --- You're amazing!  You've come a million miles.

SUGGESTION!  You seem to always forget something for your races.  Print out a checklist and take it with you. 

You might also want to take a magic marker and write on your hand where you parked your bike or set your gear.  Read about that in a mag recently -- makes sense!

In all seriousness though, you put up an extremely good race -- Your progress, particularly with the amount of training you've been doing is AWESOME.

Keep it up!

2008-07-28 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1562604

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon
Dang Billy, heck of a race. Are you planning on the Provo 1/2 IM?

Mike
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Burley Idaho Lions Spudman Triathlon Rss Feed