United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 40s
Overall Rank = 105/140
Age Group = m40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to sleep in my own comfy bed. I really like races close to home. Went to bed a little later than I should and got up alittle earlier, so I was operating on about 4.5 hours of sleep. 2 bagels and a banana later I was on my way. This race had 'open' racking. in other words to you could rack where ever you wanted. I got there about 20 minutes after transition opened up and had a lot of choices. Decided to pick a spot right by the fence in the middle of transition. That way I would only have a bike on one side of me and was right in the middle so not to run too far either way. Well, after I set up my transition I saw him...no not Charles Benson. It was Scoobysdad. That's right I saw Scoobysdad. Walked around a bit and found other Donkeys as well. Then I was back at my spot about to put on my wetsuit when I heard a familiar voice. A voice I had heard for many years telling me such important things such as to not talk to strangers, to put on clean underwear and watch out for fast women. It was my mom. How embarassing. Here I was talking to strangers, not wearing underwear and surrounded by fast women.

This was the first race my parents had been to and they were very interesting in the whole thing, asking lots of questions. Like why was I putting deodorant on my legs (body glide). Before I knew it, transition was closing it was time to head down to the beach.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Talking to my parents.
Swim
  • 37m 14s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

As become the trend I was very calm going into this swim. I'm sure it helped that this my 'home' lake for OWS this year. I went out in the old guy wave (40-99) It was pretty small, as the oly distance only had 140 people doing it. For the first time I was really able to successfully draft. I found a pair of feet and just followed. I was able to hang with him for about the first 1/2. A few more times I was able to find feet to follow. As I neared the end of the second lap I had a thought I have never had during a swim: I can't believe its almost over. I was just really enjoying myself. It was a great morning for a swim.
What would you do differently?:

This is actually one of my better swims. A number of people thought that it was a bit longer than advertised. I suppose I could have pushed harder earlier, but until I improve my technique, this is about as good as it is going to get.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

This is actually one of my better T-1 times, This is surprising because my mother decided to come up and talk to me while I was in transition. This was a bit distracting, but I managed to get out pretty quick. Ok, gotta go mom...

spend a little less time catching up with the folks.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 17s
  • 24.94 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a nice couple of loops on roads I am very familiar with. I was impressed that they found a course this flat in this area dominated by hills. With my slow swim, I felt like I was playing catch-up the whole bike. The first loop I had to dodge a lot of the sprint folks. The second loop I was surrounded by the ladies. The women's wave was behind my wave on the swim so I was pretty much only by women. Trust me, I'm not complaining. I pushed pretty hard on this ride and think I might have paid for it a little (or a lot) on the run. Had a bottle of Perpetuem that I drank 80% and two gels. I only drank maybe 1/2 of my water bottle. That's no good.

Say it with me: More Time In the Saddle!
Transition 2
  • 01m 46s
Comments:

Little bit of an adventure. Bike next to me (sprint participant) had her bike half in my spot and couldn't get racked, so I moved her's over. However, I cut my finger on her handle bar and started bleeding pretty good. I remembered that I had some band-aids in my Trasition bag (always be prepared mom says). So I grabbed one and put it on out on the run. Otherwise uneventful

Not cut my finger on someone else's bike that wasn't where it was supposed to be.
Run
  • 57m 11s
  • 6.22 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this was the disappointment for the day. Started out feeling pretty and 1st mile avg was about 8:15. I was hoping for about a 8:30 pace. got that at mile 2, then mile 3 was 8:45 and then kept sliding down from there with last mile about a 10min avg. Basically I just melted down. I wanted to beat my previous Oly PR (1:59) and I did that. However, if I could have held my pace I would have done much better than that. I really think the blame for this is not poor running fitness, but lack of real base and volume with the bike. It was one of many lessons I have learned this summer. Was nice with all the support from my fellow Donkeys out on the course.

Don't get me started...
Post race
Warm down:

Felt like falling into a heap, but decided to get some food instead. Hung out with the Donkeys, while 90% of them collected hardware.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am paying for the sins of low training volumes and no real plan. I am doing it with a smile on my face though.

Event comments:

This is a great race for a great cause and it will be on my list for next year. Had a few hiccups that can be expected for 1st year venue. Wasn't crazy about the free-for-all transition (all three distances where ever they wanted to be)but really pretty minor. Perfect weather was a nice touch too.

Last updated: 2008-06-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:14 | 1640 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/140
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: two rectangle laps around the lake
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:18:17 | 24.94 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: two loops, mostly flatter stuff
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:11 | 06.22 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: two loops on flat road and through the park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-28 1:34 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Subject: Tri-ing for Children's

2008-07-28 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1564853

User image

Expert
Wauwatosa
Subject: RE: Tri-ing for Children's
Great Race! and it was good to meet you!
2008-07-28 3:25 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
So nice to see-- and be seen by you-- Sunday! Congrats on the great swim... seems you conquered your own personal "Charles Benson". Great PR!
2008-07-29 10:11 AM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
darn cut fingers!!!  and yes, more baby!!
2008-07-29 2:46 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Good race Jim.  I agree, in many cases it's all about the bike fitness.  Sets you up for either a great or a poor run.  Nice of your folks to come out!
2008-07-29 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois

Great race and nice PR.   Must have been very cool for you parents to be there.  Mine have yet to make it to a race, although they are planning on being there for MOO.  That will be interesting

And good work on the band aid.  I wonder what else you have in that bag?

2008-08-05 11:12 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Hey - great race and great report.  I think I might have to hit that one next year.  I did their's two years ago at a different location but it sounds like they have it right where they are now.  Preat PR.  I love the "mom" theme througout.  Especially the don't talk to strangers, underwear, fast women thing.  That was very funny!  Nicely done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri-ing for Children's Rss Feed