General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My parents drink ZERO water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-06 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1573316

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: My parents drink ZERO water
I rarely drink just tap water or bottled water.

Mainly Diet Soda, Coffee....Regular Soda after a hard hot workout (Well Coke Slurpie actually)

Sports drink when training but Coke during IM run....

Diet Soda is 99.9999999% water anyway.

2008-08-06 11:39 AM

Regular
SF Bay Area, CA

I saw a show on TV, it was produced in the UK, where they test out various theories in real life situations.  It is not necessarily scientifically valid, but it is interesting, and they do throw in some scientific measurements.

They took twin girls that were about 25 years old, and they weighed about the same.  Told one to drink at least X amount of glasses of water, while the other was not able to drink any water, for a few days.  They were testing if drinking a lot of water makes your skin nicer.  They used some instrument that measured the water content of your skin.  Before the trial the water content in their skin was almost exactly the same for both girls.  After the test it was almost exactly the same too.  In the end they surmised that the girl that did not drink any water, got enough liquid just from the foods she ate.  Then they did a little calculation to determine how much liquid they got from food.  I don't remember the numbers, but it was significant.

While this is one small test, it was very interesting.  I don't believe there is any scientific study validating the "8 glasses of water a day, or else" movement.

As far as coffee, they have tried and tried.  They have spent a ton of money on research to find some way that it is bad for you.  They have come up with nothing.  Nothing. 

BTW, I like coffee.  I drink two cups a day.  Whether I need it or not.  Besides that I only drink water (or sports drink when exercising).

As long as you go pee a few times a day, you are probably all right.  IMHO

2008-08-11 10:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
If it is any consolation to you, my dad also does not drink water. He only drinks rum and diet coke.

When he was visiting us in early July, he also had some juice for breakfast... but he is diabetic too, so juice probably just about kills him anyway. When he arrived, I bought him a 40 of Rum... which he drank in about 6 days. And that is WAY less than usual, because we kept him so busy. However, he did drink beer when we were "out" at restaurants or events. When I go home to visit, he probably does a 40 every 3 days.

Too bad kids can't change their parents... my brother and I try to dissuade the drinking, but it is tough. Besides I live half a country away, so I can only tell him so many times about making healthy choices.

Funny thing is, he had surgery on his nether region (I am guessing it was complication with his urethra and diabetes) - didn't share the details, but the doctor told him to stop drinking for 40 days... and HE DID!!! Unbelievable!! We were so proud of him... but I tell you, day 41 he was right back at it... claimed he never felt any different (or better) without the booze.

It is kinda heartbreaking... my dad is only 69... and my mom died when she was 52 from... Liver Cirrhosis. He still refuses to admit she was an alcoholic (after two "failed" attempts in detox and nearly 2 years in hospital).

Sorry for the downer post, but this is sitting close to myy heart right now since he was just here visiting and looking so old and worn out to me. He can hardly walk (after a broken foot this January)... and shingles a couple years ago.

Everyone go hug your pop, juice, beer, wine and coffee drinking parents ASAP!!
2008-08-12 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

For the record, I've (briefly) met Lisa's parents and they aren't nearly as dry as she makes them out to be.

Her dad also didn't appear to be as jittery as someone that hopped up on caffeine should be, so maybe I was just to tired from the race to notice.

Clearly they could be drinking healthier liquids, but if they weren't getting enough hydration, I'd think it would manifest in some noticeable way. My dad would do construction work on a roof top in 95 degree heat all day with barely a thought to drinking anything. I think our parent's generation was made out of tougher stock. 

2008-08-13 9:42 AM
in reply to: #1599151

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
wingsfan - 2008-08-12 8:58 PM

For the record, I've (briefly) met Lisa's parents and they aren't nearly as dry as she makes them out to be.

Her dad also didn't appear to be as jittery as someone that hopped up on caffeine should be, so maybe I was just to tired from the race to notice.

Clearly they could be drinking healthier liquids, but if they weren't getting enough hydration, I'd think it would manifest in some noticeable way. My dad would do construction work on a roof top in 95 degree heat all day with barely a thought to drinking anything. I think our parent's generation was made out of tougher stock. 

Heh that's true you did meet them!
What people don't see at first glance are the headaches, fatigue, etc. he gets when he doesn't have the caffiene (diet soda). He has had chronic headaches all his life, and was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea so he blames every headache on that now. Could be the cause, but sometimes I think we ignore cause/effect factors or blame them on something convenient becuase we don't want to change our habits. My mom admits that she rarely pees, and that it's fairly dark (sorry if TMI). She is the one who - while she only drinks diet soda - hardly drinks any of it at all. Just a few sips with each meal.

But I guess since they are still alive and havn't keeled over from de-hydration it is okay. That seems to be the general consensus.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My parents drink ZERO water Rss Feed  

of 2