General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Town Race 10k PR BY 2 MINUTES Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Evergreen Town Race 10k PR BY 2 MINUTES - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Evergreen, Colorado
United States
Alpine Rescue Team
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 14s
Overall Rank = 6/417
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Slept at Dillard's house last night... Let me just say that the last week has been tough. I have had some big training days on very little sleep (because of my move to vail). In the 3 days leading up to this race I bricked The Copper Triangle which is 80 miles with 6000 ft. of ascent, and the next day I ran a 14 mile trail run with about 4500 feet of ascent... Saturday was brutal too. I came down to Denver without any sleep, ran 6.5 with my run group, rode 25 with dills and then bricked 6 hard miles too... drank beers and finally got a little sleep. Anyway, I was wiped out before I even toed the starting line.
Event warmup:

Walked up the hill to the starting line.
Run
  • 35m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

As I said, I entered this race fatigued. I knew that my fitness level was high, but I needed to overcome my tired body and mind. There is something that happens, however when the race number is pinned on! I can't explain it but, everything changes once the number is on. I ran the fist mile in 5:17 and had to really try not to go out too fast. After the first mile I settled down and got passed by a few people who looked like they could be in my age group. I let them go. I knew that there were a few really good runners behind me who were also in my age group so I just tried to run my race and to keep them behind me. I got through mile 3 in about 16:30 and decided to try and relax through mile 4. I think this was good because I felt like I was getting stronger on mile 5 and I was realing in some of the runners ahead of me. At around mile 5.5 I passed one of the guys in my AG who was ahead of me. I kept running as smoothly as I could and both of my feet had large blisters. As I neared mile 6 I dropped another guy and noticed that the guy who had been winning my age group was losing his form. I decided to surge and catch him. With less than .2 miles to go I decided to run past him. He appeared to want to give me a fight for the position, but quickly gave up. I cruised in to an age group win and a PR by 2 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

I wish I knew I was so close to breaking 35 minutes, I probably wouldn't have backed off on mile 4.
Post race
Warm down:

Beers

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fatigue, warm day too.

Event comments:

Fast course and a great race. This was my 25th race of the year and one of my goals this season was to go under 37 minutes in a 10K. To get WAY under 36 minutes was a total surprise!

Last updated: 2008-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:14 | 06.21 miles | 05m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 6/417
Performance: Good
No heart rate monitor today.
Course: Paved with an elevation loss. The first mile was very steep and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 1:38 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: Evergreen Town Race 10k PR BY 2 MINUTES

2008-08-04 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1579350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Evergreen Town Race 10k PR BY 2 MINUTES
Nice race, great strategy sounds like. Maybe you shouldn't taper for IM? Thought about running this one but it didn't work out...
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Evergreen Town Race 10k PR BY 2 MINUTES Rss Feed