General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim - Swim

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Manhattan Beach, California
United States
International Surf Festival
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 34s
Overall Rank = 232/829
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 22/78
Pre-race routine:

Sort of a cluster.... Wendy wanted to come, so we had to drive two cars to Manhattan Beach, drive back to Hermosa to drop me off, then she drove to the gym and parked and walked the mile from there (then she walked the two miles from pier to pier)

Quick Check in. This year they were using chip timing. I hope they don't do this again......
Event warmup:

Jumped in and got a few strokes in. There was an occasional set that came in and if it coincided with the start, would make it interesting.....
Swim
  • 57m 34s
  • 3520 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Didn't hear the gun or siren or whistle or whatever because I was wearing earplugs. Just one big mash into the water. 829 registered entrants plus the usual gaggle of bandits.

I started middle-left, as I did the year before, figuring I'd swim more or less straight out then over to the buoys. Of course, once you start swimming, you just go whereever everyone else does.

It was a little bit physical, probably the most physical I've had in the 3 years i've done this swim. At one point a guy was going almost 180 degrees opposite, so I swam over his legs right into the path of my friend Ann. I felt her basically swimming up ny back (confirmed it was her later), but she's tiny, so no harm, no foul.

I didn't really fight for any position, I'm sorta through with that. I am not winning anything, and this was more a training swim for IMAZ than anything else. Didn't even wear a watch.

Once we rounded the Hermosa Pier, things cleared up a bit, and I caught a few drafts, but nothing that good. As always, there were times I looked around and saw swimmers shoreward, ahead of me, and seaward, but no one around me. Really need navigation lessons.

It was a bit choppy out there, not nearly as nice as last weekend. There wer eplenty of lifeguards paddling in and amongst the swimmers, so any fears I had about a vertigo issue (someday I'll let this go) were diminished.

The first mile seemed to go very fast, in fact I saw the Mile House after I had passed it, a good sign. No idea of the time, but it felt fast. Soon I saw Dirk's old house ("90210" house) just after I passed it, and knew I had about 1/2 mile left.

I alternated between faster turnover and just getting a long, smooth stroke in, moving as much water as I could without killing myself. I also had a long 10 mile run planned for the day, so it's not like I could leave it all in the water.

And that's when.....time..... sloooowwweeed.... . doooowwwwn. The last 3/4 to 1/2 mile took FORever. I have learned not to judge by the pier, but to pick out something on shore, a tree sticking up, a particular building, and judge progress by that. But the roundhouse at the end of the Manhattan Pier just never seemed to get any closer. You can see the pier from a ways off so there's a temptation to pick it up, which is a mistake.

There's something going on with the bottom of the ocean around that pier, it's always bumpier and colder right there. Finally, finally, the pier got to within shouting distance. I moved inshore to get a better line around it. As we got closer, as always happens, I started to see more and more swimmers.

As I swam next to the pilings, I looked up as I breathed at the people standing on the railing. Reminded me of looking up at the Mill St. Bridge in IMAZ, and I looked forward to getting another shot at that.......

Came around and saw the flags. Seems like every year at this point someone comes screaming by me. Not just passing, but motoring, and I am always asking "where you been this whole swim???" This guy had a pink cap, tried to grab his feet, but only managed to hold on for 50 yards or so. Looked for a wave to carry me in, didn't catch anything, hands hit sand, two dolphins, up running slightly too soon, and up the beach tot he finish.

THere was a clock hidden behind the spectators and I was shocked to see 57:32 on it. I was certain I was close to sub 50. Everyone I talked to felt like they had a fast swim but the times were about 6-10 minuites slower than last year.

2 winners came out just barely sub 40, last year were 36, so it was definitely slower.

I did improve overall, I am usually top 40% in a "true" swim (as opposed to a tri swim) but slowly edged closer to top 25-30%, so I am happy with that. Can never judge an ocean swim by the time, have to judge improvements by overall percentage or placing.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

nothing

Event comments:

Most everyone I talked to (and me) ended up with cuts as a result of the stupid plastic timing chip they used. They even had bandaids at the "cutoff" because so many people were cut. Hopefully this is a one year experiment.

This is a great swim, I have a friend that's done it for 25 years straight, hope I can keep up a streak like that.

Last updated: 2008-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:57:34 | 3520 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/78
Overall: 232/829
Performance: Good
Suit: none
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting: Bad
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 3:06 PM

User image

Subject: Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim

2008-08-07 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1580887

User image

Master
Long Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim
Good job out there Chris. Sorry you didn't get sub-50, but that rocks that you did better relative to the pack than usual. I'm also glad to hear that you didn't have any problems with vertigo. I think you'll be ready to kick IMAZ's azz in November! Keep it up!
2008-08-07 6:01 PM
in reply to: #1580887

New user

Subject: RE: Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim

Chris,

Nice report.  I was nearer the pier and the group ahead of me took off before the gun!  It was hard to swim until I got around the Hermosa Beach pier and got to open water.  I agree, it seemed like forever before the Manhattan Beach pier got close.  Boy was I hurting at that point but I kept thinking about all the people supporting me and I didn't want to disappoint them. 

I didn't have a paddler so I was doing a zig zag the whole way and went wide of the second pier so I had to go around two people who were beside me.  I love the way the water gets cold around the end of the pier, probably due to the rip pulling deeper water out. 

I also got really lucky and caught a wave (or it caught me) and I gained about 20-30 seconds but the guy ahead of me was 15 and left me in the dust.  I guess I should run more!

Either way a fun race and I plan to do it again next year.  Hope to see you there.

Ron Laughing 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dwight Crum Pier-To-Pier 2 Mile Swim Rss Feed