General Discussion Triathlon Talk » burning sensation in muscles after training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-07 11:38 AM

Veteran
Subject: burning sensation in muscles after training
Hi,

I am training for a half marathon at the moment but I am having to take lots of time off training due to muscle weakness and this horrible burning sensation I get at the back of my legs and arms muscles.

I had a blood test for muscle enzyme and it was normal. I have hypothyroidism and am on meds for that.

I take whey protein after training and also take Bcomplex, potassium, calcium and mutlivitamins.

I read about muscle acidosis and excess of lactic acid but don't know if this is the case.

I make sure I don't overtrain and take two breaks a week.

Can anyone advise, please?
thank you
Anna

2008-08-08 4:57 AM
in reply to: #1587780

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: RE: burning sensation in muscles after training
Are you getting enough carbs in your diet? Your body relies on some percentage of carbohydrates for fuel even when you are doing long slow distance training.

The amount of fat for fuel that you have stored is nearly limitless, so you don't need to replenish that, but you do need to replenish carbs.

Taking whey protein after working out is good in moderation, but you don't need much, certainly 5-10g of protein (20-40 calories) along with 20-40g of carbs (80-160 calories) would be OK immediately after a workout followed by a balanced meal within 2-3 hours depending on your body weight and workout length.

Most whey protein supplements recommend 20-40 g of protein per "serving size"...so take a close look at what you are using. it's possible that you don't have enough preferred fuel (glycogen and fat), and are using more protein to fuel your workouts than you should.

Try using a higher carb recovery drink after your workouts and see if it makes a difference.
2008-08-08 11:51 AM
in reply to: #1587780

Veteran
Subject: RE: burning sensation in muscles after training
Hi Bear,

thank you for your message.

I have carbs during my sessions, if they are more than 1 hour and also straightaway after I finish them. I have Gatorade. Larabar bars and a powder called amino vital endurance. I eat porridge with honey after my shower, orange juice or a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Shoud I have more?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » burning sensation in muscles after training Rss Feed