General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill for gaining speed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-11 10:48 AM
in reply to: #1589243

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Treadmill for gaining speed

To clarify, I am following one of Hal Higdon's 10K race plans. http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kinter.htmI have started using the 3mile run days as treadmill days. Setting the pace faster than normal pace.

This is a stand alone race (Nike 10K Human race).

The run is the worst part of my tri so I wanted to focus on running for a few months to see what kind of gains I can get. After the 10K I still need a half mary this fall. This is all to build up to the Marathon in late Dec or Jan. I think once I complete the mary I will have a mental edge to continue training for the big distances (HIM and IM).

When I use the treadmill I ensure I am out of the way of a big fan and I am def putting in work. After just 3miles I am drenched. I figure pace training is best for me. I have been trying HR training but it seems all my runs are up in the 165-180 range which acccording to the charts is too high for an everyday run. But staying in zone 1 2 3 is just painfully slow.

Edited by sax 2008-08-11 10:52 AM

2008-08-11 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1594211

User image

Expert
Ontario
sax - 2008-08-11 11:48 AM

To clarify, I am following one of Hal Higdon's 10K race plans. http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10kinter.htmI have started using the 3mile run days as treadmill days. Setting the pace faster than normal pace.

The run is the worst part of my tri so I wanted to focus on running for a few months to see what kind of gains I can get. After the 10K I still need a half mary this fall. This is all to build up to the Marathon in late Dec or Jan. I think once I complete the mary I will have a mental edge to continue training for the big distances (HIM and IM).

When I use the treadmill I ensure I am out of the way of a big fan and I am def putting in work. After just 3miles I am drenched. I figure pace training is best for me. I have been trying HR training but it seems all my runs are up in the 165-180 range which acccording to the charts is too high for an everyday run. But staying in zone 1 2 3 is just painfully slow.

I would suggest you read the plan info on the page you linked us to.   The 3 mile runs are supposed to be at easy pace.... why are you "setting the pace faster than normal"?   The plan has speedwork on Wed.  in tempo runs or intervals.   Running every run hard is not the way to get faster.  

2008-08-11 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1594748

User image

Master
cathyd - 2008-08-11 11:18 AM
sax - 2008-08-11 11:48 AM

I would suggest you read the plan info on the page you linked us to. The 3 mile runs are supposed to be at easy pace.... why are you "setting the pace faster than normal"? The plan has speedwork on Wed. in tempo runs or intervals. Running every run hard is not the way to get faster.

I do understand the "run at comfortable pace" description but I am adapting it a little.  I have been running at a comfortable pace for years.  It doesn't work to get me faster.  So I figured I would experiment and try for a slightly faster than race pace for the 3m Monday runs, then do the tempo speed work on wed as designed.  All of the other runs will be of the slower nature to build endurance.  I just feel like my body wants me to do this speed work.  I will play it by feel over the next few weeks.

2008-08-11 2:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-11 3:34 PM

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
Make sure you keep at least the 1% incline to simulate the road.
2008-08-12 2:48 PM

Veteran
I disagree about the incline. Totally. I actually run as fast as I can on a 3% decline at times. It gives my lower legs and knees 9it seems) a really good workout. Very sore the next day. I don't have a problem going up hills (aside from ebing slow) - my main problem is a long gradual downhillwhere i am, at times, afraid torun fast because of footing or joint pounding. Treadmill makes me feel much more comfortable using my knees as shock absorbers going down a decline.

2008-08-12 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1598070

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland

big john h - 2008-08-11 9:48 PM I disagree about the incline. Totally. I actually run as fast as I can on a 3% decline at times. It gives my lower legs and knees 9it seems) a really good workout. Very sore the next day. I don't have a problem going up hills (aside from ebing slow) - my main problem is a long gradual downhillwhere i am, at times, afraid torun fast because of footing or joint pounding. Treadmill makes me feel much more comfortable using my knees as shock absorbers going down a decline.

If you speak with experienced runners or coaches (I am not), they will explain you that between 1 and 2% of incline will reproduce the normal road and, at least, will save you from stressing shins. If you don't use light incline, you will soon suffer from shin splint, unless you use it fro few km per week. 

2008-08-13 1:59 PM

Veteran
you are probably right - many running websites state the same thing - that putting the treadmill on 1% will, over a long run, mimic the elevation and grade of a normal run. I have never heard the shin splint theory - i thought it was just to slow you down so you didn't think your treadmill speed was going to translate to the road. But I really advocate running at a decline to strengthen your lower legs. at least it works for me. and i'm not a doctor or serious runner either (30-45 miles per month)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Treadmill for gaining speed Rss Feed  

of 2