Triathlon Racing Inc.
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 40m 51s
Overall Rank = 91/273
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 9/28
Pre-race routine:

Typical race day routine. Up at 4, out the door at 4:30. At the race venue, the mosquitos were absolutely horrible....and they were big, too!! I was afraid I would DNS due to blood loss!!! Made it, though. Got a nice end spot on the bike rack with plenty of room.
Swim
  • 40m 53s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

So the race site/instructions said 1 loop.....got to the water, then there were murmurs of 2 loops....sh!t, which is it!? Once we started swimming and could see all the buoys, 2 laps was obvious, but it was a bit unnerving not knowing to start.

Dirty water...cloudy...very warm.

I've done many tri's now, including some crowded 70.3's and a 140.6...I was, for some reason, hit more on this course than ever!!! There were alot of swimmers swimming every which way!!! Geez, people, SITE!!! I got hit in the eye by someone's arm cutting in front of me...no shiner, but I thought there would be. Lots of people grabbing my feet and legs, and I even had to let them know with some kicks to back off....I rarely, rarely do that.....b/c they back off or move before I have to!

Had to swim thru some weeds...yuck.
What would you do differently?:

Get closer to the front of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

A bit of a jog to T1. I could not get one wetsuit leg off my ankle!!! my chip ankle. The harder I tried, my calf started to cramp up bad!! It sucked! Finally got it off and was off.

Get thinner ankles...maybe I have kankles??
Bike
  • 2h 44m 37s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course rattled my teeth out! I lost my Acclerade bottle (rattled out of the holder...didn't know until I reached back to get it!). There was a century ride going on too, and I had to round around people riding 2, 3, 8 abreast...move!!!! I came upon someone who crashed (not sure how I didn't see it--must have been aero and looking down), cradshed bad! He was till tangled in his bike and his water bottle was rolling away from him. Someone turned around to help him....I slowed down and pulled up---the SAG wagon was off in the distance, so I said I would catch up and tell them to come back stat. Of course, the vehicle sped up and I didn't catch up for about 2 miles (at the turnaround)...I've never seen road rash like I saw today. :(

After that, pretty normal....except my teeth rattling out.

Wear a NFL certified mouth guard.
Transition 2
  • 03m 43s
Comments:

So I run to my bike rack, put my bike on, and the bike rack and bike start to move forward....oh, sh!t!!!!...didn't catch it. crash. some spectators came to help me out...we got it fixed, but it cost me some time and I have nice lovely new scratches on my bike......sigh.

Wrap bike in bubble wrap.
Run
  • 2h 10m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

By now, it's hot and humid and sunny (now it's not as humid, as say, Florida, but for here, it was humid and it sucked). The first out and back was 4 miles total and it was totally exposed and hot. I paid for my lack of Bricks during this segment bad. The next 9 miles went ok. I still felt overheated and had to do some quick powerwalk breaks. I knew I would pay for my lack of bricks and lack of long runs...and I did. :)

Not sure.....
Post race
Warm down:

Some walking around and stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing 2 other 70.3's and a 140.6 before this. ;-)

Event comments:

I could see they were running out of water at the aid stations durning my run....I bet they ran out for the later runners. Not good. The rough road was taxing. It wasn't the best organized race I've done, but it was ok (I've been spoiled on my long courses!). Bottom line, my long course season is OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last updated: 2008-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:53 | 2112 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/28
Overall: 77/273
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: 2 laps in a lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:44:37 | 56 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/28
Overall: 1003/273
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back. Most of the course varied between very rough and rough. It sucked. Mostly flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:10:51 | 13.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/28
Overall: 113/273
Performance: Below average
Course: Interesting course.....3 out and backs from the main T area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-09 7:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Salt Lake City, UT
Subject: The Utah Half Triathlon

2008-08-10 5:01 AM
in reply to: #1592409

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: RE: The Utah Half Triathlon

Wow!  Sounds like a tough day!  Sweet work keeping going and finishing up strong.

I can relate to the rough swim.  Geez!  My eye is still smarting and will be black for awhile too.

Congrats on another strong race!

2008-11-25 10:27 PM
in reply to: #1592409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Would you do this one again? It sounds like it wasn't the best experience in the world.
2008-11-27 12:07 AM
in reply to: #1826789

User image

In the Shadow of Timpanogos
First, I applaud your courage at swimming in the nastiest, most carp ridden, weed filled lake in the west. I did a training swim there once and the fact that I couldn't see my hand 1 inch in front of my face gave me all the encouragement I needed to never swim there again!

I love the ride route though...It is one of my favorite long ride routes, except instead of turning around at the end of the lake, I like to keep going around the big weed covered mountain..I admit, the chip seal road does give you the jitters for the next day or so!
2008-11-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1828505

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA

utahredrocks - 2008-11-26 10:07 PM First, I applaud your courage at swimming in the nastiest, most carp ridden, weed filled lake in the west. I did a training swim there once and the fact that I couldn't see my hand 1 inch in front of my face gave me all the encouragement I needed to never swim there again!

When I asked my niece, who grew up in Utah County, about the lake she gave me a pretty similar reaction. I'm thinking that for someone who finds the swim a little nerve wracking at the best of times, maybe this lake might not be for me. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Utah Half Triathlon Rss Feed