General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman Calorie Intake Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-10 10:09 AM

User image

Hopkins, Minnesota
Subject: Half Ironman Calorie Intake Plan

I'm doing square lake half ironman in Minnesota this Sep. Does anyone have advice for calorie intake during a half ironman? I need some help.

Thanks

2008-08-10 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1592696

User image

West Simsbury, CT
Subject: RE: Half Ironman Calorie Intake Plan

KISS...Keep it simple, stupid!

Assuming you are between 140-170 lbs, you should be targeting about 300 calories per hour.  Experiment with various options in training (bars, gels, liquid calories, etc) and you should be all set.  Personally, I'm a GU guy....1 every 20 minutes with about 24 oz of water per hour.

2008-08-10 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1592696

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Half Ironman Calorie Intake Plan

Experiment.  A lot. 

Start with 200-300 calories an hour on the bike and 150-200 calories an hour on the run and see how your body responds, then adjust as necessary.  Try, solids, gels and liquid calories.  Your goal is to find something that your body tolerates, and you can stand the taste of it for the 4-7+ hours you will be racing.  Other than that, it is personal preference, which are all across the board.  You should recognise that how your body responds on a easy training ride isn't necessarily the way it will respond at race pace.  Also, first find out what will be on the course for your HIM and try that.  If you can tolerate what will be on the course, it is one less thing to worry about.

Personally, I shoot for about 800 calories on the bike of Gaterade Endurance and GU.  By the time I get to the run, by stomach usually says no to any solids, so I try to get in as much GE as I think I can handle.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Ironman Calorie Intake Plan Rss Feed