General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crashed my bike today Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-11 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1593081

New user

Subject: RE: Crashed my bike today
Good luck on your recovery.  Take it easy and listen to your body.

2008-08-11 10:06 AM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
ouch! sorry to hear about your crash! glad that your teeth are all still there. hope you have a speedy recovery!
2008-08-11 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Lake Norman, NC

Damn!

{{{{{{{{{{ healing vibes }}}}}}}}}}

2008-08-11 12:38 PM

User image

Regular

Hey LM,

I will thinking bout you and praying for a quick recovery!

2008-08-11 12:46 PM

User image

Like graceful dave, I had a complete Grade III AC separation 2/5 of this year.  Sling on and off for 2 days.  Lots of ROM exercises and pretty good about phys. therapy homework.

I rode 80 miles on 2/16, and was swimming 3600 yd workout 2 weekslater.  It hurt, but I did it, and made it to the starting line at IMAZ 4/13.  Still put in 500 miles on the bike and almost 90 miles running in Feb

2008-08-11 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Malvern, PA

crashes suck... glad you didn't break anything...

get well soon...

2008-08-11 4:14 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Ow.

Feel better!
2008-08-11 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

Ouch!

Hope you heal soon! 

"He who runs away, lives to fight another day!"
As other have said, listen to your body and heal fully.

2008-08-11 8:41 PM

User image

Get Better.
2008-08-12 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

I just got back from Trip #1 to the orthopedist and it wasn't the good news I was hoping for. Based on the location and level of pain, plus my total lack of mobility in my arm, he thinks I have a fracture of the greater tuberosity of the humerus (whatever that means). I need an MRI to confirm it and to rule out a rotator tear. Anyone ever had this?

He did say depending on the severity of the fracture, which would likely be pretty small, that I could probably run and bike on the trainer, but he won't confirm anything until the test. So I continue to wait. 

2008-08-12 11:51 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Sorry to hear about your smash on the bike.

Please let us know how things finally turn out after all of the diagnostics.

I know your a runner and the doc has said you can run, but please be careful with that. I found (When I dislocated my shoulder last year) that overuse injuries are more likely with your arm immobile.

I found that not having one arm to swing threw off my biomechanics enough to start causing overuse/strain type groans on the opposite leg from my injury. (I had to really back off the intensity an of course stay on the treadie)

Best of luck to you. Oh, and no, your not insane for posting from the ER on your BB

2008-08-12 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1597265

User image

Champion
New York, NY
LazyMarathoner - 2008-08-12 12:40 PM

I just got back from Trip #1 to the orthopedist and it wasn't the good news I was hoping for. Based on the location and level of pain, plus my total lack of mobility in my arm, he thinks I have a fracture of the greater tuberosity of the humerus (whatever that means). I need an MRI to confirm it and to rule out a rotator tear. Anyone ever had this?

He did say depending on the severity of the fracture, which would likely be pretty small, that I could probably run and bike on the trainer, but he won't confirm anything until the test. So I continue to wait.

so the good news is - no cast.

yes, you will need to be careful - running will depend on how the impact feels.

and if the humerus has a fracture, you do have a high likelihood of rotator cuff tear or labral tear......

but you should heal up just fine.....

when is the MRI? 

2008-08-12 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1597328

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
TriToy - 2008-08-12 12:52 PM

so the good news is - no cast.

yes, you will need to be careful - running will depend on how the impact feels.

and if the humerus has a fracture, you do have a high likelihood of rotator cuff tear or labral tear......

but you should heal up just fine.....

when is the MRI?

Well, that's another story. For fun on top of the injuries, I discovered this morning that I'm not technically insured! My husband's HR guy apparently screwed up the paperwork so we don't have coverage, even though we've been paying for it. It needs to be fixed ASAP before I can schedule the MRI, then there is a 3 business day wait for authorization since the insurance company is so cheap, so I'm thinking Monday at the earliest. I'd really like to get it done this week if possible and will do everything I can to expedite it.

And WaterDog66 - thanks for noting I'm not insane. It's good to get a second opinion occasionally

2008-08-12 12:15 PM

User image

Ugh, so sorry to hear about your crash.  God Speed to a Speedy Recovery.

2008-08-12 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1597365

User image

Champion
New York, NY
LazyMarathoner - 2008-08-12 1:08 PM

Well, that's another story. For fun on top of the injuries, I discovered this morning that I'm not technically insured! My husband's HR guy apparently screwed up the paperwork so we don't have coverage, even though we've been paying for it. It needs to be fixed ASAP before I can schedule the MRI, then there is a 3 business day wait for authorization since the insurance company is so cheap, so I'm thinking Monday at the earliest. I'd really like to get it done this week if possible and will do everything I can to expedite it.

And WaterDog66 - thanks for noting I'm not insane. It's good to get a second opinion occasionally

well that sucks!  I would be ready to KILL the HR guy - since you have been PAYING!!!! wtf!

as to waterdogg's second opinion, just remember where the second opinion came from! Surprised

2008-08-12 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1597265

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC

I currently healing from this exact injury. I had a MRI to diagnose it. My MRI results read; a non-displaced fracture of the greater tuberosity of the humerus head; extensive bone marrow edema with mild bursitis and tendinitis. I crashed in May. I cannot lift my arm above my head still without pain. I have just started back swimming and although my technique is horrible I can do it. It's not painfree yet...just a little uncomfortable at first.

I was on the trainer the day after my crash. It took a few weeks to be able to get down in the aero position and I waited about a month before I rode out on the rode. It was diagnosed 6 weeks post the accident so I didn't wear at sling for the first bit. Once I was diagnosed I had to wear a sling for three weeks and limit my movement. I ran the entire time. My shoulder did not and still does not bother me at all when it is below my shoulder...it's trying to do anything about my head, or reaching for anything right out in front me.

Good luck...keep us posted. I definately know how you feel...sounds like we are in the same boat.

2008-08-13 1:58 PM
in reply to: #1599294

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
canadarn2001 - 2008-08-12 10:58 PM

I currently healing from this exact injury. I had a MRI to diagnose it. My MRI results read; a non-displaced fracture of the greater tuberosity of the humerus head; extensive bone marrow edema with mild bursitis and tendinitis. I crashed in May. I cannot lift my arm above my head still without pain. I have just started back swimming and although my technique is horrible I can do it. It's not painfree yet...just a little uncomfortable at first. I was on the trainer the day after my crash. It took a few weeks to be able to get down in the aero position and I waited about a month before I rode out on the rode. It was diagnosed 6 weeks post the accident so I didn't wear at sling for the first bit. Once I was diagnosed I had to wear a sling for three weeks and limit my movement. I ran the entire time. My shoulder did not and still does not bother me at all when it is below my shoulder...it's trying to do anything about my head, or reaching for anything right out in front me. Good luck...keep us posted. I definately know how you feel...sounds like we are in the same boat.

Wow, you had to go three months without swimming? That is what I'm most worried about. I just learned so a big break like that will not be good for me. I got my MRI scheduled for tonight and my fingers are crossed this isn't the diagnosis, but if it is, it's good to hear what you were able to do. Thanks for sharing.

Did you have to run with the sling or just keep your arm still? My road rash is too bad on my knee to get on the trainer yet, but I'm hoping this weekend I'll be able to. Being completely sedentary is driving me crazy! 

2008-08-13 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina
I crashed May 23, and got a grade 2 shoulder separation, and some bruising to the rotator cuff, etc. I'm a big believer in physical therapy. My physical therapist had me back in the pool within a couple weeks - 50 yds. one day, 100 yds. the next, etc. I'm on a program of daily shoulder exercises. I can't stress enough how much these have helped. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Crashed my bike today Rss Feed  

of 2