Canada
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 43s
Overall Rank = 152/194
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/20
Pre-race routine:

As this was my first triathalon, I have not developed a routine yet. I woke up at 5:00am had a bagle with PB (as I have read many people doing that here) packed up my gear and my wife and I got in the car for the 1 hour drive from Mississauga to Barrie. I arrived in Barrie with plenty of time to spare and with threatening rain I kept going back and forth from the car to the transition area with more stuff hoping to keep it dry. No such luck about 25 minutes before the start we had a down pour and things got a little wet. Ah well. Watched the first few waves of the KOS start and then went to get my wet suit on.
Event warmup:

Putting on my wetsuit, twice (rookie mistake #1 put it on backwards on first try)
Swim
  • 19m 2s
  • 766 yards
  • 02m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well I thought I would be smart and start to the back and try to keep my distance. It was a great thought but after I hit the water (it was cold) I found myself right in the middle of everyone. (rookie mistake #2 no pre race ows training) due to the cold water and getting hit I lost my breath and almost thought I was going to have to drop out. I rounded the first bouy and swam over to a recue board to hang on for a minute or two. The lifeguard was very kind asked if I was ok and if I wanted him to take me back to shore. I said no I think I would be ok with a rest for a minute or two. I eventually was able to continue but I had to resort to a side stroke for most of the way with some freestyle thrown in here and there. I was go glad to finish the swim and have been trying to play psychology on myself and not let it stop me from doing another tri (getting there)
What would you do differently?:

Practice ows a lot!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 and T2 times were included in the bike time. I was wiped out from the swim and just walked from the beach to my TA, this took over 2 minutes, the good news is I was very organized and got into my bike stuff very quickly and was on my way in good time, but again walked to the mount line just to try to still catch my breath for about 200m of distance travelled I think it took me over 4 min, a big area of improvement for next year.

Considering how my swim went not much, next year I hope to be able to run out of the swim and to the mount line and I should be ok.
Bike
  • 44m 13s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.87 mile/hr
Comments:

You would think that after that swim things would be going well for me but I still had some troubles before things got better. Some background, 10 days before this race my bike was stolen, so I was looking for a bike to use as I couldn't afford to buy a new one right now. Thankfully I was able to borrow a road bike from a friend however it needed a tune up. So I took the bike and was only able to get it back 3 days before the race. I didn't have time to even ride the bike after the tune up (rookie mistake #3) and when I got on the bike the rear gears would not change. I went throught most of the first lap in the granny gear (big front ring though) and my first lap was pretty slow. I kept working on the gears as I continued to ride and just at the end of the first lap things started to work out. The ride was a 4 loop out and back and the out was on a gradual incline and into the wind and the back was of course slightly downhill with the wind. The rest of the bike went better and as this was supposed to be my strongest event I was very pleased with my time considering it included the Transition times and I had that gear problem.

Not get my bike stolen, practice on new bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This went a little better but I still walked to my TA as the road was wet and I didn't want to fall. I changed very quickly again and walked my way over to the run start. I was still burned out from my swim and the legs weren't quite ready to go.

Slow down a little bit on the last lap of the bike, maybe, but I just was trying to make up time due to the mechanical problems.
Run
  • 31m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

This does deserve some background. 1 year ago I participated in a 5km (3 mile for my US friends) road race/walk and I was able to walk that distance in 45 minutes. I decided then I was going to get in shape and do a triathlon (this triathlon) so I have lost 25lbs and 9"off my waist and trained as hard as I could and participated in this event. I haven't run for over 20 years, in fact I was never a runner, so I knew this would be my toughest part. The route was a 5k out and back again up hill going out and down hill coming back. I had to walk a lot on the out but was able to run most of the back and I finished only 2 minutes out of my goal time. Some perspective (mostly for myself) my fasted 5km time so far had been 30 minutes on a treadmill without doing the swim and bike previously so this was actually a success even though it is really slow. I checked the distance on gmaps and it was about 250m short of 5km so that was of some help on the time but it was in the ball park.

Buy good running shoes earlier in my training and not get injuries and knotts that prevent any running for 4 months from January to April. (Rookie mistake #4)
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my wife and went to my TA to pack up, walked around a bunch and enjoyed watching the remaining people come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to loose 15 more lbs. No practice in open water, getting my bike stolen and no practice on new bike. Injuries that prevented substantial running training. However for a first tri I am pleased that I achieved my first goal "finish wanting to do another"

Event comments:

It was a great first time, I look forward to doing it again using triathlon as a measurement of my fitness.

Last updated: 2008-08-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:02 | 766 yards | 02m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/20
Overall: 159/194
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Beach start, out 50m then run parallel to beach and direct back to start.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: