Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-21 11:22 AM
in reply to: #1618542

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie?
I agree with the AFE approval comment. It's especially hard since I just bought the RM in December. I actually sold my motorcycle to partially fund the new bike. But why do I have the feeling that money is going to go towards a new kitchen floor? I'm with you Feldon, I think I'll be buying a frameset (still unsure as to what) and building it up on the cheap(ish).

I was actually relatively pleased with my run time on Sunday. I've had some injury problems (sprained ankle, bad DH mountain bike crash, etc) so I was happy with what I did. I usually run around a 50 minute 10K but I measured the run course at 10.5K via mapmyrun.com. I also heard the same thing from a Garmin user after the race. I'll be running the Harvest Half in Sept to ensure my running doesn't fall off. And then I'll pick some smaller events during the winter/spring to keep me motivated. I think I can get my 10K time to comfortable under 45 minutes. Kinda hard to fathom since I only started running ~ 18 months ago (as a 280 lbs smoker!).

I'm coming from the deep south as well. Usually, I drive and ride from the southland dog park on Monday and Wednesday. On Fridays I'll ride from Copperfield to downtown. But my wife's work schedule has changed I'll have to rethink my scheduling so as to avoid babysitting/daycare. I've had my concerns with using the same bike for two purposes mostly regarding wheels. So, at the very least, I'll be picking up a new set of commuting wheels this winter.

CC

2008-08-21 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1598236

User image

Champion
Calgary
Wow, I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do the ride from Cranston to Downtown, had a record this week, 57 minutes, went down 9th ave, cuts the distance but not going to be doing it again. Since May I have been trying to get it up to 3 days a week but I am usually a wreck after Tuesday, especially with the volume I usually do on the weekends.

I too take the Bow River Pathway, which has been fun lately concidering all the tearing apart that they are doing.

Definitly get another bike for commuting. LOL, or better yet get another bike for racing, which I guess is what you are talking about.
2008-08-21 2:44 PM
in reply to: #1619042

Regular

I commute on the bike 4 days a week usually, but because in the morning I only go from the Southland dog walk area (16.5km) it's not so bad.  Seems that you always have a head wind coming home which just becomes exhausting after a while.

I know what you mean by them tearing up the path, its been a gong show this year with all the road work the city has been doing.  I curse the city each time a new detour sign comes up.  I've had to change my route a few times now just to get out of town.  No way will I take 9th ave out of downtown I did that once and won't ever again.  Since the Edmonton Trail closure I've been crossing the river and taking the path out along side Memorial and coming back over on the 12th Street bridge.  I always avoid going through the weir area and take 8th Avenue and then hook onto 9th ave (couple days ago they ripped up the sidewalk here so now I have to walk my bike over that...it never ends) to the bird sancutary where I'm back onto the pathway system.  After I go through Carburn park I hang a left into Riverbend and onto 18th Street which now extends through into Douglasdale.  I cross Deerfoort at 24th Street and take that road which I think is Douglasdale Blvd to McKenzie Lake Blvd which leads right to Cranston.  27.5 clicks.  My best time has been 51:15.

Yes, the new bike will be for racing and some training only.  I wouldn't mind a new cyclecross bike just so I can go through that gravel area by lafarge and shave a kilometer off my commute, but it's not too bad avoiding that.

2008-08-21 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1619540

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
Well, my wife does say "You're all F'n crazy" with respect to the bike commute from the south to downtown.

I'm fortunate that I work at 10th ave and 1st SE. So I just take 12th ave east and cross Elbow by Deane's House. Then I'll usually take the path through the weir area (why avoid it?) to the sanctuary. And then I just follow the river all the way home. Occasionally, I'll ride between the river and the canal from the zoo to 50th street for variety. I ride the 'cross bike with 34's so I use the Lafarge road/trail. I then keep following the trail until I pop out near the Esso in McKenzie Lake. I then ride trough McKenzie Towne and down to Copperfield. But I've been slacking in the riding department due to taper/recover/workload/vacation, etc...... I think my direct route is 27K, scenic is around 30K, and the I really-don't-want-to-go-to-work route is near 37K.

CC
2008-08-22 4:37 PM
in reply to: #1598236

User image

Champion
Calgary
I recently added the wier route in instead of shortcutting down 8th ave, which I have been doing. I also stopped trying dodging the cars because of the construction by fort Calgary and have been going across the river and to the zoo and back across the river. In the end it adds a bit of time but then you dont have to worry about any crazys.

I used to take the pathway along the ridge from douglous dale through to mackenzie then I would hop off the path in Mackenzie and cross 22x into Cranston, that 24th street freaked me out too much. I recently stopped that and now bike past the golf course and get into Cranston by going up the monster hill. That hill is my new best friend. Takes me 2 minutes to get up it and I know it is going to make me super buff. I now only ride on the rode to get into mackenzie in the morning, only because I cannot stand going down hills you have to brake on, seems like a waste of energy to me.

See you guys on the trails.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Last-minute advice for Chaparral newbie? Rss Feed  

of 2