Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pet Insurance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-13 10:29 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: Pet Insurance
I'm thinking of taking out some Pet insurance for my dogs.  Talk to me about it, people...got any good suggestions?

2008-08-13 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1600134

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ocean City
Subject: RE: Pet Insurance
Def get pet insurance, I could have saved my dog last year if I had it.
2008-08-13 10:52 AM

User image

Regular

If you are gonna get it - get it early on.

I have one dog with epilepsy but since we did not get it until after she was diagnoised everything she gets (ear infections, allergies, etc) is somehow related to her epilepsy.  The other one is healthy as a horse and never needed it.  Since I could not do annual exams or heartworm med with it,  those are out of pocket expenses, I cancelled it a few years ago.  I think I have seen that one company will let you pay more to cover that stuff but when I did the math the annual premium was more than the annual exam and heartworm.  One had a bladder infection as a puppy and nothing bladder related was covered when we signed up as it was considered pre-exsiting. 

What I have done is just put 100 dollars into a savings account every month to cover any of their needs.  That method paid for the bowel obstruction surgery for the epileptic one. 

I willprobably revisit the issue when we get a puppy in the future but our experience with it with 2-3 year old dogs was very little was covered.

Just my experience with our two.  VPI I think was the company if I remember correctly.

2008-08-13 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1600173

User image

Master
Northern California

colby995 - 2008-08-13 8:35 AM Def get pet insurance, I could have saved my dog last year if I had it.

How so?

2008-08-13 11:18 AM
in reply to: #1600256

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
hnygren - 2008-08-13 6:52 PM

I have one dog with epilepsy but since we did not get it until after she was diagnoised everything she gets (ear infections, allergies, etc) is somehow related to her epilepsy.  The other one is healthy as a horse and never needed it.  Since I could not do annual exams or heartworm med with it,  those are out of pocket expenses, I cancelled it a few years ago.  I think I have seen that one company will let you pay more to cover that stuff but when I did the math the annual premium was more than the annual exam and heartworm.  One had a bladder infection as a puppy and nothing bladder related was covered when we signed up as it was considered pre-exsiting. 

What I have done is just put 100 dollars into a savings account every month to cover any of their needs.  That method paid for the bowel obstruction surgery for the epileptic one. 

I willprobably revisit the issue when we get a puppy in the future but our experience with it with 2-3 year old dogs was very little was covered.

Just my experience with our two.  VPI I think was the company if I remember correctly.

VPI was the one I was looking at online.  And I am worried about the "pre-existing" thing because my one dog seems to have arthritis ("but it could be something else" and I can't really say it wasn't pre-existing.  But it's what made me think of getting it.

This is really something I should have done a few years ago....

So I guess I may end up getting the cheapest coverage just to cover anything ELSE big in the future...

The rider looks like it would save you a LITTLE money every year...costs $150/year (ish) and If I use the things I think I would use it would be about $250 (dental, exams, etc.).

2008-08-13 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1600362

User image

Master
Northern California
jldicarlo - 2008-08-13 9:18 AM
hnygren - 2008-08-13 6:52 PM

VPI was the one I was looking at online.  And I am worried about the "pre-existing" thing because my one dog seems to have arthritis ("but it could be something else" and I can't really say it wasn't pre-existing.  But it's what made me think of getting it.

So I guess I may end up getting the cheapest coverage just to cover anything ELSE big in the future...

The rider looks like it would save you a LITTLE money every year...costs $150/year (ish) and If I use the things I think I would use it would be about $250 (dental, exams, etc.).

Does pet insurance require you to pay for the procedure up front and THEN they decide if its under coverage or not? Seems as if I've heard that.

2008-08-13 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I believe I have VPI and we love it. We did get it when our dog was a puppy so there were no issues. You may have trouble getting it if your dogs are older. Or you may have a higher rate, I'm not sure how they do it.
It's great, we get a check back everytime we bring our dog in, even when he was neutered and all of his yearly shots. Nothing major has happened to him so I can't comment on that. I would say get it but do your research if the dog(s) are older.
2008-08-13 12:39 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-13 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1600362

Regular
jldicarlo - 2008-08-13 11:18 AM

When you sign up your vet has to send in all the records for the pet.  Anything in there is considered pre-exsisting.  So if your dog was seen by your vet for arthritis, it would be pre-existing.  If they ever had a bladder infection, yeast infection anything they were seen for other than annual fecal, heartworm test etc is pre-existing.  That was what got us.  I had Aspen seen after her first seizure and then being concerned about cost for an epileptic applied for it. 

I think it could be good if gotten early.  I would like to see them do away with the pre-existing for things like infections as those may really never be seen again.  I can see their point with the epilepsy, Addison's, Cushing type issues though.

Mine have not needed dentals to date, so I have been lucky there.  Our annual is $35 and heartworm meds cost me about $160.  I just wasn't gonna save that much money.

If the math works in your favor go for it.  You do have to pay up front and get reimbursed (or we did several years ago)  Fortunately for me epilepsy meds are really cheap.  Bowel obstruction surgery however was not so the pet emergency savings account helped. 

2008-08-13 12:54 PM

MotoQueen
As in any insurance, the insurance companies are betting that you aren't going to need it. You are betting that you might need it. And it is affordable because most people don't need it and pay for the cost of those who do.

My dog didn't need arthritis medicine until she was 10 years old. The cost of the medicine for the two years until she passed was way less than what the cost of the insurance would have been over 12 years.

I've always had pets, never had insurance, and never came across an instance where I could not afford the treatment because out of 51 years of pets, only one was so ill that we needed to put her down, and cost was not the issue.

2008-08-13 4:03 PM

Master
Loveland, Ohio

We have VPI, too.  We have a general coverage and then I've got a cancer rider.  I decided not to go with them paying for annual visits.  Paying for that has never been a problem.

You do have to pay upfront for the cost, but the reimbursement's supposed to be quick.

2008-08-13 4:07 PM

Champion
Chicago
Our two dogs would cost about $70 a month to insure. We spent at least $500 diagnosing our lab's stomach problems (she's allergic to pretty much all grains and meats, nice) so would it have been worth it? Probably not. Now, if either gets a major issue then we've decided we'd rather liquidate some savings rather than let them go. My pups are my kids -- nothing can happen to them.
2008-08-13 4:35 PM

Pro
St Charles, IL

I'm a bit torn on this.

I have gone with a pre-paid yearly medical plan ( covers all the standard stuff like annual visits, vaccinations, etc. ).  That's paid for itself twice over in what I've saved due to the steep discount that gets me.

Taetum ( as you know if you've read my blog ) has begun to suffer from seizures.  I've spent ~$3k out of pocket in diagnosing the cause.  Not sure how much of that would have been covered, but that's ultrasound, xray, and an MRI.

Turns out that what we feared was the case, was indeed reality.  Taetum has a brain tumor in her frontal lobe.  Not uncommon in dogs her age, but very sad for her, as her health is otherwise great ( no joint, hip, liver, kidey issues at all ).

It's operable, but that would end up being >$10k.  

Even if insurance reimbursed part of that, not sure that I'd have 10k to front out of pocket.  Though there were short term financing options available.

Ultimately, I've decided not to do the surgery, as it's pretty invasive, and will add maybe 6 months to a year to Taetum's life before the tumor comes back again.

So... it's a tough call.  A lot of it for me depends on the age of the dog, and whether there are already any pre-existing conditions, which would end up not being covered and thus rendering the ins. moot. 

2008-08-13 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1601636

Elite
Tucson, AZ
coredump - 2008-08-13 1:35 PM

Taetum ( as you know if you've read my blog ) has begun to suffer from seizures.  I've spent ~$3k out of pocket in diagnosing the cause.  Not sure how much of that would have been covered, but that's ultrasound, xray, and an MRI.

Turns out that what we feared was the case, was indeed reality.  Taetum has a brain tumor in her frontal lobe.  Not uncommon in dogs her age, but very sad for her, as her health is otherwise great ( no joint, hip, liver, kidey issues at all ).

Oh I am so sorry. I hope Taetum will be ok!

2008-08-13 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1601725

Pro
St Charles, IL
PirateGirl - 2008-08-13 4:58 PM
coredump - 2008-08-13 1:35 PM

Taetum ( as you know if you've read my blog ) has begun to suffer from seizures. I've spent ~$3k out of pocket in diagnosing the cause. Not sure how much of that would have been covered, but that's ultrasound, xray, and an MRI.

Turns out that what we feared was the case, was indeed reality. Taetum has a brain tumor in her frontal lobe. Not uncommon in dogs her age, but very sad for her, as her health is otherwise great ( no joint, hip, liver, kidey issues at all ).

Oh I am so sorry. I hope Taetum will be ok!

Sadly, no.  The tumor is growing.  At present, the seizures are controlled with meds ( phenobarb ), but she likely has 6 months or less before the seizures cannot be controlled with meds.

She's had 12 great years though, which 4 more than Rottie's typically live.  And I'm doing my best to make whatever time she has left as happy for her as I can.   

2008-08-13 5:11 PM

Elite

jldicarlo - 2008-08-13 10:29 AM I'm thinking of taking out some Pet insurance for my dogs. Talk to me about it, people...got any good suggestions?

Saved me from $3200 on my horse...horses are a bit different, a bit more expensive, but I would have definitely gotten it for my dog. Unfortunately he had a bad bout of lyme's, so he wouldn't pass the health test.  I def. recommend it, esp if you can't imagine putting your animal to sleep b/c you can't afford a surgery for them.  That is my biggest fear. 

2008-08-13 7:09 PM

Pro
Hailey, ID
Save some $$$, open a savings account and you won't need to insure a pet. Sounds a little over the top to me. Insurance companies make money because you're less likely to need it. If we all would start "self insuring" for little things like dogs, we would all be wealthier.

2008-08-14 11:14 AM

My advice is to check out www.petinsurancereview.com and see the comparisons and user reviews of all the kinds offered. Some offer more benefits than others.
2008-08-14 1:10 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Wow.  That review website has a lot of stuff on it.  But it also has the typical 1 or 10 mentality.   People seem to either love it or hate it and there are about half of each response!  That doesn't help!

Thanks for all the responses, guys.

I'm still torn.  One of the major reasons I was considering it was because my dog is limping...but since that would be a pre-existing condition it wouldn't be covered (that seemed standard across the board).  And as others have said, it's a gamble...you are betting you will need it and the companies are betting you won't.  So you either totally make out or pay a whole bunch of money you didn't need to.

I love my girls but I just don't know if insurance is worth it.  I worry the most when I'm not home.  While I was deployed I worried a lot that something would happen to them.  Grrrrrrr....why do decisions have to be so hard?

2008-08-14 3:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
I have pet insurance with my younger dog aka Irondog (Collie/St. Bernard) who is 7. I bought it after her run in with a porcipine which was $500 out of pocket (and at the time I had about $3 to my name). Karma has been known to do dumb things, and due to her unknown heritage and poor start in life (she was feral), her immune system has always been a bit questionable. She has eaten weird things, injured herself in competition (agility) and has a persistent rash that won't go away...

Anyway, I also used to have it on my older dog (Collie/Foxhound) who is now 14.5 years old. I stopped the insurance at age 10. I LOVE this dog more than just about anything in the world, but I also decided that she has lived a long, full life. I am happy and treasure each day I have with her. As long as she is happy and comfortable, she will be the spoiled princess. I also know that the day I lose her, will provide me the opportunity to rescue another dog from an abusive and negligent situation. I have given her the best life that I can... and as much as a dog can appreciate it, I think Pookie would understand my decision and embrace it. Pookie survived two strokes last year that I did not spend large amounts of $$ to diagnose. Our old school vet gave us some solid recommendations and cared for our dog in a dignified and affordable way. I trust him very much.

I appreciate the pet insurance with Karma, but I also think there is a time and a place for it. KNock on wood, nothing extremely costly has happened to Karma to date... but I am sure the same rules apply that we will stop the insurance once she is 10... being a large breed dog, their lifespans are a little shorter anyway, so major issues that happen to her after that age will be difficult to really treat effectively anyway.

I am a thumbs up on the insurance, but I also don't personally fear death nearly as much as I fear wasting away through a longstanding illness, or suffering through a prolonged, unhappy section of my life. Perhaps that has affected how I would treat my dogs when I think they are suffering or ill.
2008-08-14 4:06 PM

Master
Portland, Oregon

First, Coredump - I'm really sorry about your furkid - my little corgi had a nearly identical case and we lost him last February. He was overall very healthy otherwise, and it was really hard.

Regarding insurance, there is a reason that it's a for-profit industry. After having spent $$$ on an MRI for both a disk/spine problem for my corgi, subsequent back surgery, then more on the brain tumor and it's MRI/bloodwork, etc., none of the insurances would have covered all of it. I still would have paid for a big chunk.  Put the premium in a savings account and just pay for annual shots, etc out of pocket. If you ever need the $$ in the savings to pay the vet, you'll have it. If you don't, you still have it. Get yourself a new bike.

Or better yet, just all y'all send your premiums to me and when you need coverage I'll tell ya that whatever it is isn't covered or was pre-existing, and I'LL get a new bike.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Pet Insurance Rss Feed