Race Day Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 11s
Overall Rank = 9/316
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 2:30am. I laid in bed and I think I fell asleep but at 3:30 decided to get up. I ate my bagel with sugar and cinnamon, 2 scoops of honey with 1 bottle of water to wash it down. I drove the 75 miles and a time change (lost an hour) to the race site. About half way there I stopped for a potty break and downed a gel pack with some more water. I picked up my packet, got body marked and set up my transition area.
Event warmup:

I took the bike out for a 1 mile ride to check the mechanics. I took all the unneeded stuff back to the car and ran 1/2 mile on the trails coming back to transition. Jumped in the pool for a quick 200 meter swim. The water was warmer than the air because I was chilling after the swim.
Swim
  • 03m 14s
  • 200 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

As I was standing in line, I talked to some very nice people. We were allowed to self cede ourselves and I was between a man and a women. I got to the timing mat and was off. I'm always afraid of catching the person ahead of me or slowing down the person behind me but today the swim was perfect. I kept the 5 second gap between us the whole swim.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have swam a little quicker but it was so short it really didn't matter.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

From the pool timing mat to the transition area was about a 100 yard run. I put on my breath right strip, number belt, socks and bike shoes, glasses, helmet and was off. I was race number 38 and the lower numbered racers were the farthest from the bike out. Last year they were the closest. It was a run through transition with bike shoes on so it slowed my time down a little.

Get my cheap self to buy some triathlon bike shoes.
Bike
  • 24m 47s
  • 9 miles
  • 21.79 mile/hr
Comments:

This is the fastest I have ever ridden in a race. I was right on the edge of my maximum ability the whole race. I had one person pass me, who later was awarded 2nd place OA, and I had to have passed 15 people. I was able to stay in the aero position 90% of the time.

Not a thing
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

I was off the bike cleanly and across the timing mat as other people were coming out of transition. It was a bad idea to have people coming in and going out across the same timing mat. I had to run through the entire transition area to my bike rack so I was a little slow with bike shoes on. Helmet off, bike shoes off, running shoes on, and I was off.

Nothing...went really smooth.
Run
  • 19m 35s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

They said this was a 3 mile run but it was the same as last years 2.6 mile run. By my time it was 2.6 miles. Came out of transition and my legs felt the best they ever have. I was about a 1/2 mile in and the right calf had the start of a little cramping so I slowed down a bit. About that time a 55 year old man passed me so I paced off of him the rest of the run and was able to pass him back at the end. So overall I was not passed by anyone and passed a few people on the run.

Push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, took a shower, and ate some pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of run training the last couple of months. Just can't seem to get my legs back since the Nashville Marathon back in April.

Event comments:

Race Day Events did a good job this time. Plenty of volunteers with a good post race program. The 1st place finisher was the master winner so I moved up to age group winner. I received a cup, fanny pack and a really nice beach towel.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:14 | 200 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 39/316
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 4 laps in a 25 meter pool with lane changing under the ropes.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:24:47 | 09 miles | 21.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/24
Overall: 12/316
Wind: None
Course: Big figure 8 on city streets and county roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:35 | 02.6 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 30/316
Course: Paved trails through a park with 1/2 mile on grass around a lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes