Vacation Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 01m 52s
Overall Rank = 151/182
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Just like last year, I got to the race site later than intended. It wasn't too big a deal except for in transition. I didn't get an actual rack spot, and had to lean my bike up against one of the side barriers (so did a lot of other people--there were not nearly enough racks). Got my stuff all situated, did the body marking, port-a-john routine, and put my wetsuit on.
Event warmup:

Swam maybe 100 yards or so. Water temp was lovely. Chatted with Pattie a bit and said hi to Emily just before our wave started.
Swim
  • 30m 12s
  • 1750 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Solid swim. The first lap was pretty uneventful really. The second lap was crowded since the sprint course waves were also in the water by that time. Lots of swimming around people but otherwise nothing noteworthy. I was really trying to find someone to draft off of, but was having a hard time so I finally just gave up on it. I probably swam farther than I needed to because I was not staying super close to the buoys, but it was so crowded in there, I was happy to stay farther to the outside and have a bit more room to swim. I didn't really push very hard in this swim, I must admit. Just got into a steady groove and kept going.
What would you do differently?:

Not a lot...draft better maybe
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Meh. Pretty slow but I took the time to wipe off my feet a little and put socks on.

Run (not walk) to my spot. :)
Bike
  • 1h 20m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.60 mile/hr
Comments:

Decent bike. It's weird because my computer had me at 17.0 mph, the results had me at 18.2 mph, and the auto-calc thing on this report puts me at 18.6 mph. LOL I'll take that last one, please! :) I tried to override the auto calc number in this report and use the official number of 18.2 mph, but every time I click Save it resets to 18.6. Even the official 18.2 seems awfully far off from my bike computer's 17.0, but I always go with the official results. This time it's in my favor. :)

Anyway, this ride was fine. The road surface is pretty bad, so it requires more concentration which is good for helping me not think about how slow I am.

Had a Hammer gel right at the start of the ride. Not surpisingly it gave me a side cramp, but I figured if I ate it early enough on the ride, the cramp would subside before the run, which it did. Tried to drink enough water so that I wasn't thirsty but not too much (which would lead to another cramp). Did well with that.

Bike more in the weeks leading up to the race...
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Would have been faster if there weren't all kinds of people milling around in the T area. Seriously, I yelled "Excuse me!" to the group that was totally body blocking the path to my spot. They didn't move. I yelled again, and this time they moved just enough for me to get through. The kicker is they were spectators! Why, yes, by all means let's let spectators further crowd the already sardine-packed transition area! grrr

Just plow right over them? Ok, I guess that is not nice...
Run
  • 1h 08m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

First lap - ok, not great, not too bad for the most part.

Second lap - pure torture. Good gravy, did this SUCK. The first part was ok, but after about mile 4, things deteriorated QUICKLY. I was so super hot I thought I was going to have to walk. I kept truding along, though, only walking at the water stop.

By the last half mile or so, my hands felt like they were no longer attached to my body, and my face was absolutely on fire, so I was enormously glad I was almost done. Pattie passed me with about 150 yards to go (darn you, Pattie!! ;) ) and I did not have any energy at all to try to keep up with her.

This ended up being an 11:02/mile average which is much slower than my 10:22/mile average from last year. That sucks, but I do think I ran shorter last year. This year, they had arrows indicating which way to go when the run/bike path would split for a short while, and each time except one it would direct us to the outside path. I know last year (when there were no arrows) I took the inside every time. Probably not a huge difference in the distace, but some.

Do more than a handful of 5+ mile runs during the whole summer leading up to this race.
Post race
Warm down:

There wasn't any water at the finish when I crossed the line.. WTF?? Actually, they had water, but no cups to put it in... Are you kidding me??? So one volunteer tells me I can get some water "over there." and points in the general direction of the registration building. I wander around over there for FAR too long before finally finding a stash of warm water bottles in the corner. I was dying for some water at this point, so I sucked down nearly the whole thing immediately, warm or not. I also grabbed an extra bottle to give to someone who might need it later since the stock was getting so low.

Anyway, I walked back to my T area and changed my shirt. Just then I saw Emily cross the finish so I talked to her for a minute and gave her the extra water bottle. The awards actually started shortly after, so that was nice anyway. I did stretch some and went and stood in the cool lake water for a while to help the legs.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My training the last few weeks has been very sub par, and I felt every bit of that during this race. I was waaaay underprepared for that run and it sucked.

Event comments:

So, this race was a disappointing performance for me, but I have no one to blame but myself. I would say that I'll do better next year except that I doubt I'll do this race next year for a number of reasons. There are some good things about this race (low race fee, convenient location), but there are some definite drawbacks as well:

-road surface on the bike is awful; very bumpy
-not even close to enough racks for all the racers
-not even close to enough port-a-johns
-not even close to enough post-race snacks/drinks

I know Vacation Sports events are lower key than most and that is fine, but not being able to cover the basic needs of the race is a problem. I've raced this course twice now and volunteered once and all three times it's been the same story. So next year I think I'll find an oly at a different venue and see if I can't do a little better. :)

Last updated: 2008-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:12 | 1750 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 57/182
Performance: Average
Suit: ProMotion sleeveless
Course: Rectangular course (with all buoys intact this year!). Long course did two laps.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:35
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:20:09 | 24.85 miles | 18.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 152/182
Wind: Little
Course: Long loop on Wheelock Pkwy; two times around for the long course
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:30 | 06.21 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 175/182
Performance: Bad
Course: 5k loop around Lake Phalen - twice around for the long course
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 9:02 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: St. Paul Triathlon

2008-08-18 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1610132

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: St. Paul Triathlon

I totally forgot about the absolute cluster in T2!  As I tried to find the run exit, there were bodies everywhere.  I saw a line to the exit and took it.  Getting there I had to *jump* over not one, but two people.  I just yelled, "Over you!" and jumped.  That was nuts! 

I'm feeling kind of beat up after that run.  At least you had a good swim.  I need to be speedy in the water like you are.  Good seeing you again!

2008-08-18 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
Reading reports like yours and Emilies just cement the fact that Randy evenys are not worth the cost savings.  Sounds like you had a tough run.  It did get awfully hot out yesterday though.  Nice job with the AG award.
2008-08-18 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Wow, I am surprised to hear that there were spectators in the transition area. That's awful and would have made me supremely crabby. Nice swim time, though and a good looking race overall!
2008-08-18 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1610260

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Oh - T2 was so annoying!  I don't remember spectators, but I would say there were enough racers who did the sprint milling around that I had a hard time too.  I really prepared to defend myself but luckily they moved when I asked.  My spot ended up not being as bad as I thought but the area was crowded and they should have assigned racks for long and short.

You must plan to do Liberty next year.  It was so nice!  Much more beautiful location, nice ride (hilly but rolling) and the run is an out and back with a lot more shade I think.  All in all it's so much better it's worth it the drive.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2008-08-18 10:22 AM
2008-08-18 1:29 PM

User image

Rosemount

I agree with you.  Plow them over.  It was a mess in T2.  The water issue at the end was unacceptable.  You would think that an event on a very hot day the event staff would plan to refil the water coolers.

2008-08-21 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Great race, especially considering that life has gotten in the way of training for you recently.  Nice job pushing through the last couple of miles on the run. Well done!
2008-08-25 5:08 PM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Kelly, great race!  Way to tough out the heat.  Bummer about the race support issues.

I agree with Emily.  Come do Liberty with us next year.  Or better yet, come do the Liberty HALF with me next year...

Have fun at Burrito!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Paul Triathlon Rss Feed