United States
Playtri
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 14m 10s
Overall Rank = 91/383
Age Group = Ocver 40 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

Couldn't sleep again,, woke up right around 2am.. laid in bed for a couple of hours, got up at 4 am..ate a huge breakfast of 3 large eggs, yogert, and a monster drink. 500+ calories. Transition didn't open until 5:30 and it's a 5 minute drive from my house, but It's really nice to have 3 1/2 hours of time before these local races.
Event warmup:

Swam 500 meter warm up for a 350 meter race. ??? i have no idea why.
I had my old tri top and it's just stretched out too much, I had safty pined it all over the back to close the back pocket and tighten the shirt some the night before, but it still felt like a parachute on me while swimming. So just before the start I decided to put it by the beachers by the timing mat for T1. my evil plan was that if it wasn't stolen or moved, I'd grab it and put on the wet shirt while running. Just made sure the front zipper was all the way down to make it easier.

With a bigger race in just a couple of weeks I really didnt' want to do anything stupid today, however I always hear of people getting injured in any sport when they decide to just to easy or be extra cautious so I decided for today to go at a good constitant effort, not all out, but a really honest effort, and if something happens Oh well
Swim
  • 06m 13s
  • 383 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

I messed up my start. I wanted to drop straight down and use the wall to push off, I was to far out to get a nice kick to start. I don't remember passing anyone, but Dennis who was a couple people behind me passed quite a few..so maybe i did. I didn't want to go to fast just a nice steady pace. at the first wall I had a great push off, so great the my HR monitor went down to my stomach and by the third stroke just came off. I just laughed to myself and kept going never even thinking to attempt to stop to get it. One the last lap I knew dennis was closing on me [or someone] so I hugged the wall on the side of the ladder to make it harder for someone to pass me and make me wait at the exit. Got out heard someone call my name which was a big surprise,
What would you do differently?:

not much I could have gone faster, but I finished the swim feeling really good not winded at all and ready to go.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

This was a great transition, grabed my shirt without slowing down as I ran past, nice run outside, saw marcy from swimming next to stacy [RD] and yelled that I lost my HR monitor in the pool, they both yelled back to keep running they would get it later,
got my shirt on easy while running, had my race belt under my tri shorts so all I had to do was grab my helmet, bike and take off..pedels were on bike, no socks just grab and go. I was doing a very easy jog and I could have been a little faster on this even

This is the first time I remembered to tuck my race belt and number under my tri shorts. i really liked that.
I was one of the fastest Over all in the tranistion now that I've looked at it there were a handfull of people a4-6 seconds faster but very few. SO I'm really happy about that.. Free Speed
Bike
  • 38m 2s
  • 12.75 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Got on the bike fast and up to speed, got one foot in, then the other, then took my race number out so it could be seen I was glad that I did really good there.
I could see Traci in front of me so I caught up to her and played leap frog up with here up to and on main st.. once I got on N. colony I passed her for good. I really didn't pass many people though, but I didn't get passed either, not on the first loop or maybe once, at the end of my 2nd loop a couple of people with numbers just 10 higher than mine passed me so I knew it was their 2nd loop also.
even with no HR monitor I pushed it really good but could tell when I need to shift down and spin more. there were only a few times that I looked down at my cadence and saw it below 95. TOday I did really well on shifting to a lower gear before the turns so when I slowed down and came out of them I was in the right gear. Right were all the construction was on Paige and N colony I nearly lost my whole aero bottle and bracket, I didnt' bother to slow down thinking that the carpet would give a better or smoother ride over it all and I should have know better. the 2nd time I just bunny hopped it on the bike which must have looked funny

Hey my first 20+ on regular stock wheels so I'm happy. This is apx a 6.4 mile loop. I know that the say it's 12 miles but even in playtri's info they call it a 10 k loop. I've measured it many different ways so I'm using the 12.7 miles for my total.. I can see how it makes a big difference when you know the course
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

when everyone was telling me that I was going to fast into T2 I knew I had the right speed. I gave a thumbs up to the crowd and did a nice dismount. Unfortunately I spied a Taco Bueno flag on a rack and immediately ran right to it.. not only was there no food, but it wasn't even my rack, Bastards !! so I ran to mine, helmet came off quick, bike up, pre tied shoes with no socks, grabbed a gu from my stuff and started a nice easy run out of the area. Just over the timing mat I saw David B with his super cute kids and a camera,, and waved hi.

stop and make ballon animals for David's kids to help entertain them some, but he was doing a great job
Run
  • 27m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

ok here is my weakness, going fast on the run.. I did stop right after the t2 mat to get a drink to wash down my gel and maybe i shouldn't have stopped but it was really only 5 secs, I can easily run 20 sec faster per mile but just went at a nice easy pace, hard enough to say I'm going, but not that hard. Legs felt great and I could have gone faster on the run. The two people that passed me at the end of the bike passed me again by mile one so I knew that I had a good T2 time to pass them there. I repassed one later even. Traci also caught up to me just past mile one and as soon as she passed I jumped right behind her to draft, after about 5 min. she yelled " i know you are still back there" so I told her to draft off me and jumped in front of her, I didn't think I sped up much but when I looked later she was a good 20 ft back. which I'm told isnt' good drafting distance. Being behind her was a nice break and allowed me to catch a 2nd wind though. This was still a good 5k time for me, since I always run at one pace regardless of it's a 5k or full marathon but I am getting better at it.

push hard from my two on in. If I can just get down to around a 8 min /mile pace I'd be very happy. I just need to drop about 20 pounds so I can still be a clyde but run faster.
Post race
Warm down:

just hung out by the finish line,, was surprise to see David G there as well as Craig, Tommy came over also and the three of them gave me some really good insights for IMKY so if I didnt' thank all three of you then I'm doing it now.. "Thank You"!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I like to say 18 + weeks of IM training but in reality this was the best all around sprint i've had, I put together a good race in all the area's plus transitions. I laugh that the only way I PR a sprint is by training for an Ironman. and actually I know I could have gone much harder on the run and a bit harder on the bike. with IMKY just 2 weeks away I didnt' want to chance it to much. It was nice just racing with no clue, my watch was messed up time wise and no HR info. I enjoyed just going off what my effort was

Event comments:

I'm a big fan of most anything playtri does. When I needed to get into transition I asked staci about my HR strap and even though she was busy she took the time to talk with me for a minute, & give me the info.

I never save this file the right way on the first time... I think the internet is broke or something..

Last updated: 2008-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:13 | 383 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 66/383
Performance: Good
Funny you should ask
Suit:
Course: pool swim, nice wide lanes, one direction in the lane
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:02 | 12.75 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 88/383
Wind: Some
Course: 2 lop course with a few 90 degrees turns in one spot, one very small hill
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:47 | 03.1 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 191/383
Course: single loop course through a neighborhood
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 12:07 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: Take on the Heat Triathlon

2008-08-18 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1610736

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Subject: RE: Take on the Heat Triathlon

You got me by 7 seconds. Your skillful blocking move at the swim exit gave you all the cushion you needed so... I'm filing a protest for an 8 second penalty. Also a heart rate monitor hit me in the eye and slowed me down.

We got to the rack at the same time and you were gone before I even got my shoes off the towel. That was crazy fast. Great race!

2008-08-18 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Longview

You had a great race.  I don't see any BS in this report though....

Congrats on your 2nd place win, and I know you will do great at IMKY!

2008-08-18 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
dude...speedy...nice.
2008-08-18 3:03 PM

User image

Expert
Frisco TX (DFW area)
Well once again your humor comes through, great report - My wife saw your monitor on the pool floor.  Great race
2008-08-18 5:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hate it when those jokers fake me out with the free taco flags. It gets me every time as well! Good race, Gary, and I agree with the others...IMKY is no match for you. Unless they have a free monster rest stop along the way!

2008-08-18 8:12 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

Great job out there. Did you get the HRM strap back?? I really think the making of balloon animals will speed you up, but don't try it at IMKY!

Nice job!

2008-08-18 9:41 PM

User image

New user

Great race, Gary! I did see a Polar strap on the bottom of the pool somewhere between lane 1 and 3! Wish I HAD picked it up for you- I could blame my slow swim time on my good samaritan-ship!

Great job- I'm sure you'll be a force to be reckoned with at IMKY- So long as there aren't any KFC flags in the transition area!

(Gleser's wife, Linda)

2008-08-18 10:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats on all 3 of your splits but especially the bike with your best ever!  Way to go!    I enjoyed chatting with you after the race. 
2008-08-18 10:38 PM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth

congrats on staying injury free!  That would be the goal I was hoping you had in mind.  :-)

2008-08-19 10:21 AM

User image

Master
Gold Coast Australia.
Congratulations on a fantastic time! Great RR too. Man, you swim really fast! Good job!

2008-08-19 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice race Gary!  That was us (Jen, Craig and me) yelling for you as you got out of the pool.  I think I have a picture of you executing the grab the shirt on the fly!  Very nice skillz!
2008-08-21 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Stud!  Great race!

If it takes Gaarryy 18+ IM weeks to train for a sprint, the how many and what type of weeks does it take to train Gaarryy for an IM?    Just kidding.  You've prepared yourself well!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Take on the Heat Triathlon Rss Feed