General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building your own bike and bike fit??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-19 4:09 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: Building your own bike and bike fit???
Ok, I like to build my own bikes from parts, it is the inner mechanic in me and i like to know how things work. I built the bike in my avatar 1 1/2 years ago, after the research i did and many measurements i think i nailed the fit pretty well, i find it comfy even on long rides, It is a 59cm Lemond. I will at some point probably want to build my tri bike, i am anal what can i say, but i think i probably should get fit for that bike. So here is the question; Will a bike shop do a paid for fitting for you even though you will not buy a bike from them??  Not that i don't trust them or not like them, i just like the feeling I get from building my own. p.s. i was a Certified "A" auto tech in my first career, so i have pretty decent mechanical skills. What do you all think??  

Edited by Rudedog55 2008-08-19 4:16 PM

2008-08-19 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1614509

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Building your own bike and bike fit???

"Will a bike shop do a paid for fitting for you even though you will not buy a bike from them??"

If the shop is worth their salt, yes. It'll cost a little bit, but really what should come out of a fit is the dimensions in space for your contact points (saddle and bars relative to bottom bracket), and then the bike choices should be narrowed down accordingly. But, if it's your first tri fit, be aware that it might get you close, but over time you may get more (or less) aggressive. Just food for thought.

I'm like you, though -- I'd rather build my own. I'm even thinking of getting the torch and jigs to build my own frames.

2008-08-19 5:20 PM
in reply to: #1614509

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Building your own bike and bike fit???
^^^ X2

I've had multiple fits done by a MS shop out here, and I've yet to buy a bike from them. Granted, I've supported their business by picking up some comps here and there, but seeing as I get the largest savings off modules, wheels, etc, I take their fitting measurements and buy through my other sources. They've NEVER given me any smack for it, and actually understand it's both a part of doing business (competition) and maintaining loyalty (you WILL eventually buy stuff from them, even if it's not a complete bike). My hope is that other shops will try to support you the best way they can, and you will reward them the best way you can.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building your own bike and bike fit??? Rss Feed