United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 19s
Overall Rank = 108/149
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30 eat orange, two HB eggs, frosted mini wheats. 1/2 c coffee the usual 1/2 hr stretch - shower. Drove out to race site at 5:45
Event warmup:

Rode bike out to end of road and back ~ 1 mile maybe. Just a bit of jogging to be sure everything was working ok. Felt really good and ready to go.

Because of all Jack's cautions about the "dirt road from Hell" I did drink a little extra in transition before the race - Ate 1 cliff bar 45 min before start. - think I drank a little too much
Swim
  • 33m 41s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt really easy in the water, and thought I was swimming well and at my usual pace. I did just a little zig zag, and tended just a bit to swim to my left, which was interesting when a girl who was passing me kept swimming to her right and trying to climb over me, I finally just gave her a gentle push (away not down). I tried to draft off of several folks who passed me, and did ok for a while on each, but the water was very murky, you could see just almost to your finger tips. I could feel the draft, but with each they either veered off or I did. I stopped to clear my goggles after the turn - what a wonderful thing. Sighting was pretty good although coming back into the sun I admit mostly I was following the croud and keeping an eye on the shore as well. I thought I swam pretty straight. I could have swum quite a bit harder, but just wanted to take it easy and conserve energy for the bike and run, which I did.
What would you do differently?:

At this distance, perhaps push it a bit more. Practice sighting more. Get more group OWS experience?
Transition 1
  • 00m 56s
Comments:

I had a great rack spot, and the transition practice paid off. We even had to put on our number before the bike.
Putting my riding gloves in bento box, worked well again.

I think I'll practice with helmet on handle bars instead of ground, it might be easier, and a few seconds faster.
Bike
  • 1h 28m 43s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.81 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I had a very good ride. I felt pretty strong going out against the wind, and at the same time didn't push it too hard. I had good energy coming back and did not have to sacrifice speed on the down wind leg. Coming back into the park was a little tough to turn back into the wind, and it seemed a little long, especially after riding 22 - 24 mph with the wind. But I thought I rode it well and did not push it so hard that I couldn't run. I rode comfortably in the drops going against the wind. I used the hand up water bottle to soak myself down and that worked well. Helped me stay cool.

With all the riding I've been doing I'm a little dissappointed with my time compared to last year, and my overall rank. It was quite a bit windier this year, but everyone had the same wind.

Probably due to all of Jack's comments about how hot it was going to be and about dehydration, I think I drank just a little bit too much. Took a gel at 45 min, then just past the turn around, then again just before dismount. Nutrition was very good - except for perhaps a bit much fluid, either before or during the ride.

I'm learning to judge my effort by how hard I'm breathing and I think I pretty well rode the race the way I wanted to. Just wish I was stronger/faster

Train to ride faster and stronger. - do not re run last year's race but ride the conditions that are there on race day. I think I did ok on this, but I was anticipating where the wind would be rather than just go with feel.
don't overdrink before the race.
Perhaps I need to get a tri bike?
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

This was a pretty good transition. I did have to take one running shoe off to re do the sock, but I think that was a good decision. I did not get one of my bike shoes all the way undone, and struggled for a second getting it off. The second one was fine. Stayed pretty focused. I remembered to douse myself with my extra water bottle before heading out on the run. having the socks prepared in the shoes worked very well again. The short socks worked well in T2 and fine on the run

open running shoe all the way.
Run
  • 1h 04m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt like a very good run. The first 1.5 miles I was stiff but after that loosened up pretty well. In the Tall City sprint a lady named Kim was just in front of me at the TT style start and we chatted. At about three miles I heard her talking to the guy behind me. She caught me shortly and we ran together for 5 minutes or so and chatted. It's fun when you make a new Tri friend. I walked through each aide station and took two glasses of cool water, one to drink and the other to dump on myself. What a difference that makes. I did it right from T2. After the turn around, I caught a young fellow from El Paso. He had a story! First it was his very first triathlon. He was doing pretty well, but somehow he had managed to leave all his tri stuff in the trunk of his rental car in AUSTIN! That's 4.5 hrs away. so he had just gone to the local shop and bought new clothes, shoes, helmet etc. He was getting blisters from running in new shoes. Bummer.I ran with him taking it easy and chatting for about a mile. I did pick up the pace just a little after ~1/2 and he kept up. At ~ 2.5 miles out I picked up the pace and he couldn't hang any longer, but it was fun running with him. I ran pretty much a tempo pace for the last 2.5 miles and still had enough in the tank to "sprint" to the finish. I finished strong but don't think I could have run another 100 yards. Perfect pacing for me. run my race, run my pace. - for a while he drafted off me - I was amused

I'm not sure why my time is longer. I felt much stronger, and picked up the pace at 3.5 miles and ran the race I wanted to. Just was slower than last year?? It certainly felt better.

Bricks? to get early run better? Run more. Take nutrition??
Post race
Warm down:

eat a bagle, walk around a bit - got in the river and cooled off - swam a couple of 100 yards a couple of times.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind / training.

Last updated: 2008-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:41 | 1500 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 79/149
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: up the river and back into the sun. The water was awesome - not quite hot like last year - just a bit cool till you got used to it.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:56
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:28:43 | 24.85 miles | 16.81 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 125/149
Wind: Strong
Course: Out of the park ~2miles on bumpy road. Right on Knickerbocker - nice 4 lane with smoothed over chipseal - good riding, but against the wind, over the bridge and past the airport. Right turn to stay on Knickerbocker, and up over bridge and out to the south on narrow two lane road with little traffic. Big right hand turn and out some more against the wind. Return the same way we came out.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:47 | 06.21 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 99/149
Course: Out and back on the "dirt road from Hell" Combination of dirt path through park then on dirt/ packed dirt / loose dirt, with a couple of hills. Luck was with us and the wind helped keep it from being too hot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes