Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » London Ontario Swim, Bike, Run, Triathlon Clubs... Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-21 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
Subject: London Ontario Swim, Bike, Run, Triathlon Clubs...
Ive taken the time to search for a few.... if anyone has any information on the best Athletic Clubs of London feel free to let me know.

2008-08-21 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1619036

Veteran
Ontario
Subject: RE: London Ontario Swim, Bike, Run, Triathlon Clubs...

Not really a big sport in London yet.  I searched myself a lot but was never able to find anything active.

There are a couple of biking (mountain and road) and running clubs around though.  Also lots of swim groups at the aquatic center. 

2008-08-21 1:58 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Not sure if you know/have done it, but the closest race to London is Lakeside triathlon in June.  Great venue.

2008-08-22 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Swim-check out the YMCA or Aquatic center
Run- There's a few groups, London Pacers,London Runner's or something but I would highly reccomend Runners Choice, they have training groups for all levels and weekly group runs for anyone.
Bike-Depends where ya got your bike, I bought mine at reynolds cycle and they have an awesome group ride every monday night, very friendly and not snobs at all like some other shops. There are also a few London cycling clubs for the more serious cyclist.

Any more questions just ask.

Any planned runs or tri's in the area?
2008-08-22 3:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
I am definately going to check the aquatic center out for swim teams. Ill have to keep my open for running teams. Biking is pretty straight forward..if i find a friendly team ill ride with them, i am looking for mainly a swimming team and running team to perfect my paces and technique for 2009 season.

Yeha there is a Triathlon in London on the 21st of September, Lakeside II.
2008-08-25 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1619383

User image

Ontario
They are running a Lakeside II this year.  It is a repeat of the popular June race.  It is on Sepember 23rd. 

2008-08-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: #1622102

User image

Ontario

There is a bike club out of Champion, on Adelaide street that has a strong triathlon group.  They ride on Saturday mornings and one night a week, I think it is Wednesdays or Thursdays. 

Also the downtown YMCA has a triathlon club and UWO has one too. 

Welcome to London and happy tri-ing!

2008-08-25 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1622102

User image

Ontario

The swim club out of the acquatic center in london is called the Silver Dlphins.  They do recruiting in August and start with new members in September so it would be time to sign up now.  Their website is www.londonsilverdolphins.ca

If you get this before tomorrow, you can attend the last Splash and Dash at Lake Wittaker of the season.  YOu can just show up and pay there.  It's 23.00.   It is an informal swim and run race, everyone races themselves.  YOu can swim either 800 or 1600 yards and then run 5k.  Its about 25 minutes Southeast of London.  No prizes for winning, but everyone gets something cool from the swag bag.  for more info go to www.sherifraser.net

There is lots of triathlon-ing going on here in London, you just have to know where to ask! 

Feel free to message me if you have any other q's!

2008-08-25 10:29 PM

New user

That's too bad there is not a formal club in London. Maybe with all this interest a club can be started by us BT members. At least to meet and help teach each other new things. Not sure how to go about that but it could work out.

I must agree that Runner's Choice is excellent for training programs at any skill level.

2008-09-04 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Chatham, Ontario
You can start your own!
2008-09-07 2:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
My first goal when i get to London is to find  new job. Shouldn't be that difficult. Some pretty nice suggestions here for clubs, sounds like theres a ton of opportunities.... cant wait to get my nose in there woooo

should be a fun winter triathlon training season in the city.

2008-09-29 8:54 PM

User image

Ontario

I just heard the news.  Two guys just bought or leased acutally a building for the purpose of creating an all triathlon training facility in the south of London.  The plan is to put all the tri stuff under one roof, pool, run groups, spin classes, gym etc.  They are starting renovations now.  It will be out near Warnecliffe and Exeter, I think where the shoe warehouse is.  I don't know how long renovations to the building will take, but I am holding my breath. 

Has anyone else heard any details about this? 

K

2008-09-30 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie

whoa!! that is the motivation im loking for!! im lovin the idea of the perfect setup, but uhh yeah i found out from you, only details i know.

I rolled on down to that section of the city yesterday (Reynold cycle)..... ill have to stop by there again sometime, they might have heard the word.

Edited by Jyles16 2008-09-30 3:12 PM
2008-10-09 1:11 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
I have a friend who lives in London and competes on the national scene... there is a decent club, but I don't know how to find them.
2008-10-09 7:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
well shiiit!! try to find out some information, id love to train with some strong triathletes....as specially swimmers.
2008-11-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: #1705039

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
katherinel - 2008-09-29 9:54 PM

I just heard the news.  Two guys just bought or leased acutally a building for the purpose of creating an all triathlon training facility in the south of London.  The plan is to put all the tri stuff under one roof, pool, run groups, spin classes, gym etc.  They are starting renovations now.  It will be out near Warnecliffe and Exeter, I think where the shoe warehouse is.  I don't know how long renovations to the building will take, but I am holding my breath. 

Has anyone else heard any details about this? 

K

Yep, I have some details about it.  I trained with the 2 guys last year, one was the coach and one was a group member.  Great guys with lots to offer.  This is what they had to say in a recent email..

"...That work is finally coming to life with the creation of a true multisport shop in London.     I think that you will find this new shop to be an exciting mix of both retail and training for multisport athletes in our community.  Here are just some of the activities we will have on site.  A CompuTrainer MultiRider suite where you can actually complete the bike course of your races before you ever get there.   This would be especially helpful for those going to Muskoka 70.3 next year.   There will be an Endless pool on site which is an incredibly useful tool for immediate feedback on your swimming technique, also helpful if you don't like doing flip turns.   A bike fitting studio to ensure that your current ride or any future rocket is precisely fit to your body.   A wide variety of products and apparel for training and racing.   Personalized coaching packages for athletes of all levels.   A variety of workouts offered through the week and weekends including running, cycling, core strength, and specialized CompuTrainer theme workouts.  For those of you already planning your offseason training schedule, please note that I will be offering a Saturday morning cycling workout in our new studio.   For more information on this and other workouts please contact me.   There will be much more information coming out in the next couple of weeks.  Stay tuned." 

2008-11-02 2:58 PM
in reply to: #1781763

User image

Ontario

Excellent news!  I am so excited I want to go camp out front until the construction is done.  I'd love to get on a computrainer to train for my next race.  How cool is that??? 

Keep us posted Elly.

K

2008-11-03 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie

That is the greatest thing I have heard all fall. I drove by the place not too long ago, didnt notice anything. Is it taking the place of the shoe outlet type store?

Anyways, that is great news!! I will definately become a part of it.

Keep up the updates. wow....excited.   Retail, and training..... thats a great idea.

Was that post an e-mail to a bunch of people, or on a website?

Edited by Jyles16 2008-11-03 11:30 AM
2008-11-03 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1783499

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Jyles16 - 2008-11-03 12:27 PM

That is the greatest thing I have heard all fall. I drove by the place not too long ago, didnt notice anything. Is it taking the place of the shoe outlet type store?

Anyways, that is great news!! I will definately become a part of it.

Keep up the updates. wow....excited.   Retail, and training..... thats a great idea.

Was that post an e-mail to a bunch of people, or on a website?

I agree, its very exciting!  The guy who sent me that email was/is the triathlon club coach that runs out of the downtown YMCA, which I was a part of when I lived in London last year.

2008-11-03 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1731825

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Jyles16 - 2008-10-09 8:04 PM

well shiiit!! try to find out some information, id love to train with some strong triathletes....as specially swimmers.

Sorry, I found out it was the UWO club. And I've been told their swim workouts aren't to be envied.

The Silver Dolphins have some swimmers who used to be in the local club (LAC), so those workouts should be ok. If you're a star swimmer and a good triathlete, you can talk to the LAC coach and he might let you swim mornings.
2008-11-04 6:21 AM
in reply to: #1785236

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario

So Fresh So Clean - 2008-11-03 9:44 PM
Jyles16 - 2008-10-09 8:04 PM well shiiit!! try to find out some information, id love to train with some strong triathletes....as specially swimmers.
Sorry, I found out it was the UWO club. And I've been told their swim workouts aren't to be envied. The Silver Dolphins have some swimmers who used to be in the local club (LAC), so those workouts should be ok. If you're a star swimmer and a good triathlete, you can talk to the LAC coach and he might let you swim mornings.

Gotta let you know that I spend a winter working out with the UWO tri club, and I thik there are better options in town.  

2008-11-04 6:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie

Keep everyone here updated on the status of the multisport zone. I amgoing to continue attending spin classes at goodlife, ad running randomly untill it opens up. I shoud also start getting into the habit of swimming again, i havet swam since my last triathlon......yikes!!

Sounds like a great time and aweosme opportunity to meet many new triathletes around London! also the greatest training equipment i can even imagine!! I need a new rear tire and rim. What is the least amount i could spend?.... I just want to use a trainer, no racing.

2008-12-10 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie

BUMP HAHAHAHAH

Any more information on the Multisport zone, i have seen soe advertisements looking for workers, but havent noticed it on the southdale-wharncliff road yet.

Any help/info?

2008-12-10 4:45 PM
in reply to: #1847461

User image

Expert
Guelph, Ontario
Jyles16 - 2008-12-10 12:28 PM

BUMP HAHAHAHAH

Any more information on the Multisport zone, i have seen soe advertisements looking for workers, but havent noticed it on the southdale-wharncliff road yet.

Any help/info?

Hope this helps. From an email I got Dec 3....

I am hoping to have a timeline later this week with regards to completion of our training studio, which is currently hung up in permits and related issues.   Darryl and I are also working on our website which will be the easiest method of sharing information on the location, products, training, coaching and more.   In the meantime, if you are interested in what I'll be offering in January, let me know so that you can start to make decisions about your training for the new year.   I apologize for the delays.

2008-12-11 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sault Ste. Marie
Perfect. Post the Link when the website it up and running. Cant wait.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » London Ontario Swim, Bike, Run, Triathlon Clubs... Rss Feed  

of 2