General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For Females Only: Chaffing on Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-04-02 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1620391

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Subject: RE: For Females Only: Chaffing on Bike
My apologies if you really thought there would be no guys. A bike fit has been mentioned but specifically make sure your bike seat is not too high because that will force you to rock side to side too much. A narrower, harder seat may help too but that's been mentioned already. Good luck.

Edit: sitting back more on your sit-bones may help redistribute the pressures too.

Edited by Micawber 2009-04-02 12:47 PM

2009-04-02 1:04 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
I know you've done lots of different saddles and fittings, but I found having the cut out seat made things worse.  Also check that the seat isn't tipped too low at the nose.  It sounds counter intuative, but that will make you slide forward and put more pressure on the girly parts.  Raising the nose of the seat adjusts the weight back onto the sit bones and off the soft tissue.  If you only feel it after the long rides (hence chaffing issues) I found putting Body Glide on my inner hip creases, the bikini line when the thigh meets the hips, helps prevent chaffing and keeps my body position in check. I also like Lanolin cream.  I discovered this when I was nursing and it has become my catch all aide. 
2009-04-02 1:07 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

I've been fitted. And I still am not all that comfy.

But I think mine is more of a "getting used too", than a position thing. It takes a while for your sit bones to toughen up right?

And why are my girly bits more comfy outside in aero rather than inside on the trainer in aero?

2009-04-02 1:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Time riding helps and so does having a bike set up to fit you well.

When I ride I sit on my sitz bones and not my privates which is why I think Selle SMP saddles work. The cut out is huge..can put your hand through it.

Terry saddles I used to ride but seems as I ride more and for more years harder and smaller are better. 

I started with Terry Butterfly that was the Tri version following year went to Terry Zero X which is their race saddle smaller harder when I bought my tri bike. Last year in training for IM after a winter of riding my road bike for hours on the weekend and liking my Specialized saddle I decided to look at other saddles. Ended up trying the Selle SMP Pro which I liked in many ways but ended up with some blocked sweat glands only on my right side. My fit guy worked with  me and said I had leg length differential and that messing around didn't help. This year I bought a Selle SMP Glider which is narrower and shorter, same shape but not as wide really. I can see the difference when pedaling on the trainer..more clearance on my thigh/crotch area....and it took a little getting used to as any saddle does as it has less padding but the size fits my butt better.

If you opt to change saddles go to a place you can try them and return them as they can be pretty expensive. My new saddles suggested retail is $270. Honestly as much time as I spend on my bike having a happy bum while riding and afterwards is very important.

2009-04-02 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2056525

User image

Elite

I've been having problems not on the true "girly" parts, thats fine.  My problem is basically where the seams for the chamois are. I just seem to have too many, folds?  you know, right where your leg meets your crotch parts.  that side area and on the sides next to the soft tissue is where I get the saddle sores.

I'm wondering if my shorts are too big?

2009-04-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2058136

User image

Champion
MA
turtlegirl - 2009-04-02 3:15 PM

I've been having problems not on the true "girly" parts, thats fine.  My problem is basically where the seams for the chamois are. I just seem to have too many, folds?  you know, right where your leg meets your crotch parts.  that side area and on the sides next to the soft tissue is where I get the saddle sores.

Thats were I get them as well..my doc said they were plugged sweat glands and us women have lots of sweat glands there.

I get out of my bike or tri shorts after riding right away.

For me it doesn't have to do with shorts as I have lots of brands and types hopefully narrower saddle will avoid it as it was a new occurrence for me last summer but I did lots more longer rides with some 6-8 hours.

If your chamois ends there I can't see how that could be good...my chamois (what's the plural?) go down my thigh a bit maybe 3 inches where the chamois is sewed to the shorts...that three inch section is light and just a way to make it so that seem is wider.

Look at the top chamois on the right..the textured part contacts your crotch and the smooth part is what helps it be bigger so it goes down your leg some so the seam isn't there. I love Shebeest TTT shorts on sale at Sierra Trading Post or Terry Bella shorts which are wicking and breathable chamois with micro holes to keep you cooler.

Edited by KathyG 2009-04-02 3:28 PM

2009-04-02 8:09 PM

User image

Master
I have to whisper this really soft so I don't get serious flogging here ...

I use a Brooks old-school leather saddle. I went through 5 or 6 saddles previously and they were agony, pure agony. Even the women's. Even cutouts. Even without cutouts. It's the first saddle that doesn't hurt me. I can even do back to back rides. But hard-core roadies wouldn't be caught dead with a saddle like that.
2009-04-02 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2058382

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
KathyG - 2009-04-02 3:27 PM

Thats were I get them as well..my doc said they were plugged sweat glands and us women have lots of sweat glands there.

x2

2009-04-02 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2058382

User image

Elite
KathyG - 2009-04-02 3:27 PM
turtlegirl - 2009-04-02 3:15 PM

For me it doesn't have to do with shorts as I have lots of brands and types hopefully narrower saddle will avoid it as it was a new occurrence for me last summer but I did lots more longer rides with some 6-8 hours.

If your chamois ends there I can't see how that could be good...my chamois (what's the plural?) go down my thigh a bit maybe 3 inches where the chamois is sewed to the shorts...that three inch section is light and just a way to make it so that seem is wider.

Look at the top chamois on the right..the textured part contacts your crotch and the smooth part is what helps it be bigger so it goes down your leg some so the seam isn't there. I love Shebeest TTT shorts on sale at Sierra Trading Post or Terry Bella shorts which are wicking and breathable chamois with micro holes to keep you cooler.

of course those are the shorts I have!!  I do get out of them right away.....I just did some researching...found out that it is what I thought, a bursa!  I joke that I'm growing a pearl there...

I just may get desperate enough to try that old school brooks. people swear by it!  which model?  and kathy, I did get an SMP but not an uber expensive one...it ended up being too wide for me. which model do you have?

I swear to god that I use dr. Scholls corn pads...its the only thing that helps!

2009-06-08 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1621103

User image

Expert
Decatur
i'm unearthing this post because i am now having the same issues. i JUST bought the terry butterfly and the nose seems to be too wide causing the same chaffing issues...

looks like I need to change it for the other terry saddle.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For Females Only: Chaffing on Bike Rss Feed  

of 2