General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For Females Only: Chaffing on Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-08-21 10:20 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: For Females Only: Chaffing on Bike
If you're a guy, I'm going to have to ask you to just click your back button. So, if you could just go ahead and click your back button now, that would be great.

Onto my question(s): what do you female bikers use for chaffing on the bike? I have tried Chamois butter, but it stings my private parts.

I have good bike shorts (Pearl Isuzmi Attack) and also have TYR tri shorts with the quick dry pad. Doesn't seem to matter which I wear, I get serious butt pain and chaffing on any ride over 3 hours. I actually prefer the lighter tri shorts.

Does a female specific saddle make that much of a difference? I was pretty happy with my female
saddle (Specialized Dolce), but on the advice of a (male) friend, I switched to a race saddle (Forte T1). I like the new saddle...it was painful at first, but I did adapt to it. But, the chaffing on long rides is even worse with this new saddle.

I'm having a lot of pain right now - help! This is really putting a crimp in my style! Thanks!

2008-08-21 10:46 PM
in reply to: #1620391

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: For Females Only: Chaffing on Bike

Have you had a bike fit? If so have you discussed this issue with your bike fitter? I know most are guys so it is a bit awkward but do discuss it with him/her. If you haven't had a fit get one.

Is it your soft tissue or what that gets chaffed? Inner thigh or where? More so when in aero?

I use bag balm now more than chamois butt'r as it is way cheaper and works well. I often use both on long rides. If you don't rotate your hips it can make them move slightly that can cause issues.

Shorts can make a difference as can saddle.

Do you ride a saddle with cut out?

I switched to a Sella SMP saddle about 6 months ago with a huge cut out so none of my soft tissue touches the saddle and my issue was solved. For us women soft tissue gets smooched when riding in aero so often if that is  the issue you can ride more comfortable upright on  a road bike or  on bull horns of tri bike.

It takes awhile to adjust as you must sit on your sitz bones and it can be a tough time while adjusting. I and another women I know that have this saddle get saddle sores..mine are blocked sweat glands that are annoying but not like my other problem.   

2008-08-22 12:50 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

I have found that using a harder saddle actually helped. The soft girly bits would get smooshed and that would cause general surface soreness on the bits and also the pubic bone.

I bought a Specialized Roubaix bike (men's version) but ordered the Ruby (girl version) seat. It is exactly the same width measurement as the men's, BUT the shape of the saddle and the cutouts is different. My hubby and I have the exact same bike except for the seat (same size even) and I can easily tell the different blindfolded sitting on the seats.

If your bits are smooshed, try a different saddle, girl specific. If things are actually rubbing, frictionwise, you may need a different saddle position, your shorts may not fit properly (too big? moving around too much in them?) Or you may need more chamois butter. Sounds like the bag balm might work for ya if some of the others sting. You could always try the Assos stuff, it's supposed to be tingly! Spendy though.

Good luck. Nothing sux on a bike ride more than an unhappy keister.  Plus, if your bits aren't happy no other 'happy' is gonna happen later. And that's no good either.

2008-08-22 5:57 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Definitely soft tissue. I took a Georgia O'keefe flower painting and painted red where it hurts. I have raw red spots there.

My sit bones hurt alot when I first got this new saddle, but that has worked itself out.

I did have a bike fit two years ago, and after that, riding aero was way more comfortable than riding upright. So, I ride in the aero position 90% of the time. I have fiddled with my aero position a little since the fit. And the new saddle also required more fiddling because it was a drastically different shape. The old saddle was butterfly shape with a narrow nose and lots of padding in the back. This new saddle has a wide nose with more padding there, and hard in the back. (Actually, I was scheduled for another fitting but canceled it because I won that bike contest here. Haven't gotten new bike yet.)

Yes, the new saddle has a cutout.

I spent $25 on assos chamois cream at the advise of my LBS, and can't tolerate it!

I will try the bag balm. Huh, just looked it up on google, and I have some of that left over from surgery i had last year. yeah, i can try it without spending any money!

Are you saying that it IS possible to ride long (4+ hours) without huge butt pain? Tx!

Edited by keyone 2008-08-22 6:12 AM
2008-08-22 6:00 AM

User image

Master

Is the photo in the OP the guy from the Integrity Interactive courses at work?

For the girly bits, you may want to lube outside (bag balm, vasaline, chamois butter) and inside (astroglide, k-y) but bottom line (HA, pun intended) is that you don't want your insides rubbing so start looking for a new seat.

My bike's stock seat was raised in the center (where most seats are cutout) which was horrible.  I now have a Terry butterfly which worked well until I got a new bike fit.  My bike fitter suggested that a less padded seat would actually be more comfy because it wouldn't be as wide.  Good luck!

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2008-08-22 6:01 AM
2008-08-22 6:05 AM
in reply to: #1620516

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Mrs. brown_dog_us - 2008-08-22 7:00 AM

Is the photo in the OP the guy from the Integrity Interactive courses at work?

He's from the movie "Office Space". Hilarious movie!

2008-08-22 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA

Ummmm, yeah, I'm gonna need you to come in on Saturday.....and that's not a half day.

I'm going to be in the minority but I'm not a fan of the cut-outs in saddles. But a question for the OP, is the problem soft tissue or the red area on the outside like you put on the painting?

I had actually switched to a men's saddle for awhile because the nose was shorter and narrower. I have narrow-medium sit bones and women's saddles are usually too wide to be comfortable for me. I just got a new Trek WSD saddle that is matched to the size of my sit bones and has an indention in the middle for soft tissue relief. I just put it on my bike on Wednesday and haven't actually tried it yet but, in theory, it should be comfortable. (if it's set up right)

disclaimer: I work at a Trek dealer but this women's saddle is brand new in their product line and I haven't tried it yet.

2008-08-22 6:53 AM
in reply to: #1620554

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
autigers_1998 - 2008-08-22 7:46 AM

But a question for the OP, is the problem soft tissue or the red area on the outside like you put on the painting?

Well, um, both. The problem is the soft tissue at the red areas that I added to the painting. The outside edges of the labia majora (I looked it up on google)
2008-08-22 7:14 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
I've found that keeping things well trimmed down below helps... Some have found the full shave or waxxing route to be helpful - I haven't gone to that extreme yet, but I'm trimmed pretty close.

If Chamois butt'r doesn't work for you, try something else to give a little lubrication. Could be body glide, or even plain old vaseline. I've been using Aquaphor (basically more refined vaseline) with pretty good success. There's nothing in there that should cause any stinging or irritation.
2008-08-22 7:26 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Have you tried getting a Brazilian done? No hair=less chafing! I am much more comfortable on long rides now that I got rid of it all. Wish I'd done it years ago.

2008-08-22 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
I think part of the problem is the Assos cream.  I was using that, but it has a bit of menthol to it, so it's tingley.  Which is probably why you get the stinging.  Try Chamois Butt'r, which I've found doesn't have any menthol/tingley stuff.  It works a lot better for me.  I'd have to run to the barn to check the bag balm (I use it for cuts on horses, helps the hair to grow back quickly) but I think it might have a bit of menthol too, so you might not like it down there.

2008-08-22 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
chamois butter didn't work for me either. A&D ointment works well, I found that I needed more than I thought and really have to coat myself! It wasn't the saddle either, I have one pair of pearl shorts that cause more problems than others.

Good luck!
2008-08-22 8:19 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
I was having some issues too and actually searched the forums here for some past information. I was using Chamois butter and it just wasn't doing the job. I do think I need a new saddle, but that'll probably happen this winter.  Anyhow, I have the same areas with irritation..I actually found I like the Gold Bond Medicated lotion--granted, it is tingley, so if you don't like that--don't use it! BUT, I also have started (thanks to things I learned from some past threads I found), post-shower and before bed, applying 100% Witch Hazel to the irritated areas and it has helped TONS in healing and keeping healed those irritated areas.  Now, I just need a new saddle.  So, I'd suggest trying some various creams, etc. while biking, getting the saddle that fits you best, and for the irritation that is there now, apply the Witch Hazel--it's a natural astringent meant to help cuts, chaffed areas, etc.  I'll also echo the aquaphor, I have lots of free samples of it, and it has helped when I use it too.
2008-08-22 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

changing saddles fixed this problem for me - I have the Terry Damselfly and love it.  I have lasered most of the area and keep the landing strip closely trimmed.  Body glide is the final step that has kept my girlie parts happy.

Prior to changing saddles I had the same problem.   

2008-08-22 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
I still have my own saddle issues, so I can't be of a lot of help, but I did want to add that I've been using a tub of Aquaphor and love it- NO tingles, just vaseline-y.  And cheap at CVS/Walgreens. 
2008-08-22 9:46 AM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY

After years of never having an issue with this, I started to have problems this season and also had to switch saddles. I had a female saddle (like the butterfly) that was too wide for me so it was chafing the same place you're having issues with and i ended up with a saddle sore right before my oly (that was fun). I switched to the Damselfly and while getting used to the firmness is taking some time, the narrower profile is so much better.

I echo the recommendations on Aquaphor. I love this stuff and use it for biking and running. It works great and there's nothing in it that can irritate you. Also, the brazilian is by far the way to go as well, it will minimize chafing tremendously.

2008-08-22 9:58 AM

User image

Lafayette, CO
I have found that my new saddle, the Specialized Jett had helped and I use A+D cream with aloe on long rides and race days as well.  With my saddle they measure my sit bones which came out totally unexpectedly (considering the sizable rear end I have) as needing the smallest saddle. 
2008-08-22 11:16 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks everybody.

I checked the Assos chamois creme label and it has witch hazel in it. I think that's what gives me the stingy sensation that I don't like.

I happen to have some bag balm around from varicose vein surgery, and looked at that label. It is just vaseline and lanolin. I tried that on my chaffed spots today before my 4 mile run. Not that I need it there for running, but just thought testing it in a short workout would be better than testing it on a long bike. It felt good. No stingy.

After my shower, I put some of the Assos chamois stuff on my chaffed areas, since someone here said that Witch hazel helps healing. I figure I can tolerate the stingy if it means faster healing!

Probably A&D and Aquaphor are pretty much the same as Bag Balm. I may buy whichever is cheaper when the Bag balm is gone (assuming it works on my long ride).

Thanks especially for the tip about putting lots on. Good to know!

I will think about the hair removal ideas. I do think that is factor actually.

I will let you know how it all plays out! Thanks again!

Edited by keyone 2008-08-22 11:22 AM
2009-04-01 9:53 PM

User image

Expert
Decatur

are we talking a&d ointment or cream?

i think i'm getting my first saddle sore or blocked sweat gland or something. small, but annoying  nonetheless.

2009-04-01 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas

careful with the brazillian as i found out quickly that i'm prone to ingrown hairs and the waxing down there began all my issues with my rides becoming uncomfortable.

i'm going to also recommend desoto 400 mile bike shorts. although it won't alleviate your issue...all the creams, seats and proper fit suggested, will help with that....they are another option and should help. padding isn't too thick and they're way more comfortable than any other short i've ridden in...in fact i probably won't ever ride in anything else...i have 2 pair, i love them so much.

anyway...just another suggestion as all the creams/seats and fitting has already been said.

2009-04-02 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I would be careful with the witch hazel.  It's very drying (used in some acne products) and may make it worse...

A cautionary note to echo a previous poster about the waxing/shaving.  I ended up with a saddle sore that I couldn't clear up for months - although I was also wearing underwear on the bike.  So it was probably more a case of chafing. *laughing*  It does make it more comfortable though.

I would maybe try a different saddle - or go back to the previous one?  Or even move it forward and down so that you're sitting on your sit bones as opposed to balancing on your pelvic bone between your legs? (The term "taint" was thrown around when I asked about posture a little while ago...

I use a really cheap Bontrager saddle - but it works for me... 

P.S. I LOVE Office Space!!! 

"The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

Edited by Silver_wlf 2009-04-02 6:57 AM

2009-04-02 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
I'm gonna echo the shaving thing too - I totally shave and I'm starting to wonder if that might causing some of my irritation problems - which are more centered on the bikini area - which is really irritating when the sweating starts so my advice if you go that route, is to stay on top of it and use hair conditioner when you shave, not cream or gel or (gasp!) soap.  On my last long ride, I wasn't feeling the seat love by the end of it & everyone keeps talking about that Terry seat.....I just might give it a whirl...I second the notion of Aquaphor..that stuff is the BOMB.  Good luck & keep us girlies posted...sometimes I wish my parts would just go numb like men complain...good lord, if I'm out there for a long time, sometimes just the slightest shift in my posture is like I'm being stuck by a million needles!  OUCH!
2009-04-02 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I would definitely try a new saddle, maybe a narrower one?

Try Bodyglide or Aquaphor for the chafing during your ride (I actually use a combo), and then diaper rash creme afterwards (post shower).

I would also recommend getting a mild astringent or witch hazel and wiping down the "perimeter" area after your shower (i.e. not the centermost interior bits, but everything else).

One other thought would be nothing at all (although if you've tried that, never mind). It depends on my bike and my shorts, but in some cases, I find that NOTHING is better than using something.

2009-04-02 9:11 AM

I keep that area very well-maintained, esp in the summer. Nothing hurts worse that hot and sweaty lady bits that are all stubbly - sorry for the visual, boys who are lurking. But the ladies understand.
2009-04-02 9:37 AM

User image

Master
PA
Another vote to try the brazilian.  Go to a good salon too.  And fyi, you may be sore, so you might want to plan to give it a day or two before you ride. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » For Females Only: Chaffing on Bike Rss Feed  

of 2