General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lateral Knee Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-22 7:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
Subject: Lateral Knee Pain

I have had knee pain on the outside of my right knee for several months now. I was running/riding pretty heavily (for me) this spring and I am guessing that I overdid it. After looking at various illustrations of the knee joint/tendons etc., I think I have narrowed my problem down to the lateral ligament that attaches the femur to the head of the fibula (outer shin). I can walk and run with no pain but flexion w/stress, such as squatting or kneeling with weight on the knee, causes significant burning pain. I suspect it is a lateral ligament sprain. I don't think it is IT band because the pain is low-outside and below the kneecap.

SO.....I need to know how to treat it. Has anyone had any experience with this? I won't substitute advice for medical help, but I know there is a wealth of experience on this site in the area of knee injuries. Anything you all could add would be appreciated.

Thanks

2008-08-22 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1620577

User image

Subject: RE: Lateral Knee Pain

Based on your post I presume you would like to resolve this without seeing the Doc even after 3 months of pain. However, I must say that an athlete in pain should seek the help of their physician, athletic trainer, physical therapist, etc......Wink

That being said and speaking only for the cycling portion, here are some possible causes for knee pain while exercising. Some carry over to running:

Weak lower back

Hip abductor weakness

Hip abductor imbalances

Improper Warm-up

Improper Cool-Down

Lack of Stretching

Over training

Shoe fit

Cleat placement

Crank Length

Seat position

Too many Low RPM training sessions

No medical advice given...just some common causes that can be corrected by the individual unless it is an anatomy issue.

Speaking for myself only...I would stretch, continue to do exercises that do not lead to pain for 'x' amount of time. Which means no running or cycling. Ice pack the area for 20 minutes after each workout. Check and correct any of the aforementioned possible causes. If that does not work it is appointment time.

2-3 months is a long time to wait...Hope you feel better soon

Best of Luck

Edited by reconbyfire 2008-08-22 10:51 AM
2008-08-26 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
2008-08-26 7:53 PM

New user

ITBS can create pain where you are describing it. 

I would have a doctor look at it, I am going through ITB issues myself right now.

If you do not want to get it looked at, I would self-treat it as ITB w/stretching and rehab exercises, and see what hapens.  But I would get a doctor to look at it since its persisted for 3 months.

Good luck

2008-09-10 8:59 AM

User image

Kingsport

It actually DOES sound like IT band issues. The IT band attaches to the fibula below and lateral to the knee. If the IT band is too tight, it can either create issues just lateral to the knee(where the ligament "pops" back and forth across the edge of the knee like a rubber band) or can create pain where the ligament attaches below and lateral of the knee.

The knee doesnt hurt during normal walking motions because it doesnt go through the full range of motion. an easy test to determine ITband issues is to stand on the affected leg while holding the other foot off the ground. begin doing slow squats, down to about a 60 degree bend. you will most likely have the pain during this exercise.

If so lighten your run workouts, focus on stretching and strengthening 2-3 times per day. your focus muscle groups should be hip abducters, piriformis, glut medius and quads.

2008-09-12 7:49 PM
in reply to: #1663616

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
brasnick - 2008-09-10 9:59 AM

It actually DOES sound like IT band issues. The IT band attaches to the fibula below and lateral to the knee. If the IT band is too tight, it can either create issues just lateral to the knee(where the ligament "pops" back and forth across the edge of the knee like a rubber band) or can create pain where the ligament attaches below and lateral of the knee.

The knee doesnt hurt during normal walking motions because it doesnt go through the full range of motion. an easy test to determine ITband issues is to stand on the affected leg while holding the other foot off the ground. begin doing slow squats, down to about a 60 degree bend. you will most likely have the pain during this exercise.

If so lighten your run workouts, focus on stretching and strengthening 2-3 times per day. your focus muscle groups should be hip abducters, piriformis, glut medius and quads.

I have just started to run again and have no pain related to that. I only seem to experience pain if I kneel and put pressure on the knee itself. I guess the best advice is "don't do that" then!  I will do the stretches and try the running along with it. thanks for the advice.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lateral Knee Pain Rss Feed