United States
Manitowoc - Two Rivers YMCA
72F / 22C
Total Time = 1h 53m 31s
Overall Rank = 194/214
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/13
Pre-race routine:

Set the alarm for 4:30. Went to bed at 9PM, woke up at 11- took a sleeping pill, 2 ibuprofen and a Tums. Fell right back asleep, alarm didn't go off- woke up at 4:34! In the car and on the way by 5. Got to the Y about 6:15. Changed flat tire on front of bike- very relaxing, loosened me right up. First time I've ever changed an inner tube, went pretty well. Not enough time to get nervous!
Event warmup:

Run to the tent to get body marked.
Swim
  • 08m 3s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

What the hell was that? Everybody kept walking even though they were practically up to their waists! I started swimming, but got trapped and couldn't get out to get around. Then, every three strokes I had to correct because I was swimming WAY off course. I did more breast stroke than anything else I think.
What would you do differently?:

I have no ideas. Cut to the outside earlier I guess. I just waited for an opening and zoomed.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

T1 was included in swim- I think it was about 4 minutes. I was mostly goofing around at this point and not really taking this seriously because the swim was so weird.

RUN to my bike.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 42s
  • 15 miles
  • 13.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Didn't pump up the tires as much as I should have because I was afraid of another flat. I've never had a flat tire since I bought my first bike in high school and then I got two in one week. Took it pretty easy and enjoyed the scenery. It was a bit depressing to have so many people pass me, but I did the best I could. I remembered to smile and have fun!

Remember how the gear shifter works. I was coming down from the big ring to the middle ring and shifted down instead of up- big ring shifter is opposite of the little ring shifter. I was on my way back through Shoto when I did this. My legs were just whirling around! Bet it looked funny...
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

T2 included in bike time so this is a guesstimate. Just had to take off helmet and gloves- took off sunglasses too, they were starting to bug me and it was overcast so didn't need them.

Nothing
Run
  • 40m 47s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 13m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

O good lord, what was I thinking. Running is so hard for me, I just kept telling myself I could do it- and I did. I didn't stop to walk at all, but I swear my legs are solid concrete. I've seriously got to figure out the shoe situation- my feet hurt so much I was almost crying. Got a blister on my left big toe. And I could feel myself favoring my left foot/leg/side. When I got sight of the Y picked up the pace and when I got in the chute went as fast as I could go.

Skip the run! Just kidding- but seriously, this is my weakest link and I need to fix it if I ever plan to do this again.
Post race
Warm down:

Gasp for air, bend over to catch my breath and try not to puke. Walk, walk, and walk. Drink water, choke, sputter, catch my breath again. Orange, gatorade, banana- yummy combination. Sorry I don't have a picture...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm old.

Event comments:

The volunteers were great even though I threatened to kill one. I was almost done and he was cheering me on, but I couldn't breathe! Somehow I managed, "Shut...up...I...will...kill...you." I think I was delirious and needed to be done. Today my calves are sore somethin' awful- already been in the hot tub and steam room, rolled them with BioFreeze and Flex All, took ibuprofen- now I need to go roll them.

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:03 | 440 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 60/214
Performance: Below average
Suit: Fleet Farm special shorty
Course: Counterclock (!) loop in the harbor
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:04:42 | 15 miles | 13.91 mile/hr
Overall: 72/214
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat- from Y on Memorial Drive to the road past Roncalli, left on B, cross 310, through Shoto to Silver Springs, loop around and come back. Roads wet from the little rain we had just as the race was starting. Mom and Dad were at the bike finish and Mom shouted out my name- I was so surprised I almost ran over a volunteer!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:40:47 | 03.1 miles | 13m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 81/214
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back to DQ
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 1:44 PM

User image

Appleton, Wisconsin
Subject: MTRY Triathlon

2008-08-24 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1624077

User image

Regular
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: MTRY Triathlon

Woo hoooooo! YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!!!!!!

Excellent job, I'm so proud of you!

Edited by bnmracn 2008-08-24 6:23 PM
2008-08-26 10:04 AM
in reply to: #1624077

Pro
AZ

2 X what he said ^^^^!!!!!!

YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!! Awesome job!!!  You survived the wonky swim, completed the bike on slightly mushy tires (makes it harder to pedal), and then RAN the run!!  YOU RAN THE RUN! No walking!!!  This after your legs are toast from being on the bike! You rock girl! Don't let anyone (in your head) tell you differently!! WOOT!

2008-08-26 2:30 PM
in reply to: #1624369

User image

Appleton, Wisconsin

There has been a little voice in my head saying do better- but that inspired me to do it again next year.  My plan was to finish and I did it.

Edited by number8sz 2008-08-26 2:31 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MTRY Triathlon Rss Feed