General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lee's Summit, Kansas
United States
Jackson County Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 33s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/13
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to KC Saturday afternoon. Took the Acura with the 3-bike rack on the back for mine, Eric's and Tom's bikes. I was driving and glanced back somewhere between Emporia and KC to see one of the bikes had come detached from the left side and was swinging away from the car going 75mph! Eeeeek, pull over. It was Tom's bike, his was put on last. The tire had scraped along the road a little; just a little scrape but Tom wanted to get it checked out at BikeSource to make sure.

Picked up packets at the lake and decided not to swim since i was a $5 fee per person. BikeSource, hotel check-in, then On The Border for dinner of course. In bed before 9:30 p.m.
Event warmup:

Up at 4:30 a.m. to someone's silly banjo ringtone. Jeeeeez Tom...
Out the door just after 5 a.m. and arrived at 5:30 a.m. to find a crap ton of people there. All of us had to rack in the smack middle of a rack, oh well. Sipped on a light vanilla coffee Rockstar while I got everything set up, body marked, chipped, talked to LindaKC who was volunteering, Tom's friend Liz (who was one of only two other people I knew at this race, strange). Waited in he potty line forEVER. PoopedPottied. Wanted to warm up in the lake, but when we got down there it was 15 minutes till the start and they said no more warmups. Oh well.

I was in the last long course heat, so watched everyone go first. Since Tom was in the very first heat got to see him come out of his first loop and go in for the second. He was lookin' good.
Swim
  • 24m 55s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

When the RD told us we could get in the water, my heat started walking in the lake, awaiting the foghorn. We just kept walking and walking farther out, still waiting! We all commented on how far he would let us walk out - the water was past our waists when we finally started, ha!

Felt very comfortable in the beginning; no kicking or contact at all. After rounding the first bouy, I began to notice some waves and chop! Whaaa? I've never swam in anything but crystal calm lakes... this was new. I thought maybe it was just in my head, or maybe the people in front of me were just kicking extra hard. Nope... it was windy. I don't want this to be my excuse, but it really did throw me off. Breathing was noticeably more difficult, as I got some good gulps of water instead of air. After a long straightaway and rounding the last bouy, the stretch coming back into the beach was much calmer.

Exited after the first lap slower than I wanted. I swam all the way until my hands drug the bottom but the problem with this lake is that it's the same level of shallow for a long ways. You just have to trudge through.

Ran across the beach, and a girl in my freaking age group PASSED ME ON THE BEACH RUN! Grrrrr damnit. DAMNIT! I might have passed her on the second loop, I don't know but that pizzed me off good.

Second loop was just like the first. Chop/waves were a factor, and I started exaggerating my breathing and looking ALL the way up to the sky so I could get a clean breath of air. Got into a pretty good rhythm, passed a few girls and even a few guys (meaning they started at least 5 minutes ahead of me). On the last straight away, I REALLY kicked it in. I was flying at the end, very, very strong.

2007 - 22:27 (4/11)
2008 - 24:55 (4/13)
What would you do differently?:

Practice in a choppy lake on a windy day.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I was really surprised to see spectators (with strollers and such) in transition. Had to weave around them a bit, but ran to my spot quickly. Water pan for my feet (yeah, I did it, so??) because I remembered regretting not having it last year. Stuck a GU Rocktane in my tri shorts pocket, everything else normal.

2007 - 2:18 (10/11)
2008 - 1:39 (7/13)
Bike
  • 1h 26m 55s
  • 23.53 miles
  • 16.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Right out of transition I noticed my chain had slipped into the small gear. Huh. I tried to change to the big gear but no-go. Huh. Kept riding, and switched the other gears around; finally after 6 or 7 tries, I got into the big ring. Whew.

This ride was fun, but fairly uneventful. It has a few good hills that are like the IMKS hills, so you just have to mash up them. Two girls in my age group passed me on the first loop, meh. I had purpously left my bike computer at home so I wouldn't be staring at it the whole time. I kept looking down and it wasn't there. Took my GU Rocktane near the end of the first loop. I had GU2O in my cage bottle; I like this stuff. Noticed my bottle cage was loose and about to fall off.

Second loop was again, uneventful. One girl in my age group passed me on this loop, but I wasn't sure if she was short or long course. It was here I began to notice that the people doing this race were just not very friendly. I had made a point to say 'good job' or something to everyone, or make a joke or whatever. Not ONE person said anything back to me, or even acknowledged I had said something. Weird.

Finished up the second loop and came into transition feeling pretty good.

2007 - 1:24:59 (10/11)
2008 - 1:26:55 (12/13)

Nothing!
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

So I get to my rack to discover that my rack space was occupied. Yep, it looked like someone down the line had racked one spot over than where they were supposed to, and it domino-effected down to me. I kind of stared at the rack, looked around, and wondered what to do! I contemplated laying my bike on the ground.. no... that's not such a good idea. Maybe I could rack it in the rack behind me... no... then that person would be pissed. Finally (after a few choice words came out of my mouth), I just shoved my wheel inbetwen Tom's bike and someone elses. Hoped it didn't fall over. Wasted a good 20 secondsd with this crap.

Moved it from there, I knew that I'd already killed my T2 time. Nothing I could do about it though. I had to dig my race belt and visor out from under Tom's front wheel, slipped on my running shoes, and just started running with everything in my hands. Actually in my mouth, as I was tying my hair back in a higher ponytail. Belt and visor on before I hit the timing mat and off I went. It's only 5 miles, I told myself. You run 5 miles every Thursday night - you are not allowed to stop. Let's go!

2007 - 1:38 (11/11)
2008 - 1:49 (10/13)

Think quicker when trying to decide where to rack my bike.
Run
  • 48m 18s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I started this run not knowing how I'd feel, but determined to push myself. Only in very recent races have I found that place I need to be at on the run. I was hoping to find it today.

I really enjoyed this run. I pushed hard, but had no one in front of me to pick off like I did at Mudwater. I looked at every person coming back, thinking I'd see Tom and Eric, but it turns out they were already done when I began my run.

At every aid station I only took water. Drank half, and poured the other half on my head - this was awesome! It wasn't really that hot out, but the ice cold water felt sooooo good on top of my head.

On the run, some of the girls were a little nicer in that when I'd say 'good job' they'd say it back to me. None of the guys did though. I was the only person I could see on the trail for much of my run, people were really spread out I guess. Liz yelled at me right after the turn around - yay! - and I encouraged a girl I'd remembered chatting with before the start; she was walking and started running when I clapped for her.

I'd glanced at my watch at the beginnng, so for the first three miles I knew I was running almost exactly 10-minute miles. My goal was to get under 10s, so I tried to push it harder after the 3rd mile marker. From 3 to 4, I was definitely around a 9:00 mile, and the last was probably a 9:30.

Saw Tom and Eric coming up to the finish line, finished strong.

2007 - 52:03 (11/11)
2008 - 48:18 (10/13)

Push even harder. I don't feel like I found "that place" on this run. I was close, but not quite there.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat down for a minute immediately after crossing the finish line. Found Tom and Eric, got some water, talked with Liz. I looked for some food, but all they had was apples.(?) Took our stuff back to the car and then the awards ceremony began.

Eric got 2nd in his age group! I knew I wouldn't place; I was a good 20 minutes slower than the 3rd place in my age group. Meh. I guess Oly distances are tough like that. Tom won a Rudy Project helmet (it matches the one I won at this race last year!) and I won a visor that matches my yellow stuff.

We stayed until the VERY end of the ceremony, we were only three of about 10 people left at the end. Boo to everyone who left early. Back to the car and of course CHIPOTLE! I could only eat half of my bowl, which saddened me a little. Ate the rest when I got home though, don't you worry. Drove half of the 3 hours home; I was sleeeeeepy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall times:
2007 - 2:43:25 (10/11)
2008 - 2:43:33 (10/13)

Lack of Olympic-distance experience. This was only my second.

Comparing my times to last year kinda depressed me. I really thought I would beat my overall time, but in reality it was 8 seconds slower. Granted, this was my 'A' race last year, and this year I'm training up to Redman 70.3. But still... it doesn't thrill me. Obviously, the swim was tougher than last year and it showed in everyone's times. And there was more wind on the bike this year. And different girls in the race. I know all of this. But I'm still kinda disappointed, especially since this is the first race I haven't PR'd in.

Event comments:

KLM put on a good race this time. The only post-race food available was apples, meh. Good door prizes at the awards ceremony. I recommend this race!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:55 | 1056 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot shorts and top
Course: 2 loops with a beach run inbetween
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:39
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:55 | 23.53 miles | 16.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/13
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:18 | 05 miles | 09m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/13
Course: Out and back on a lovely trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 8:37 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course

2008-08-24 9:16 PM
in reply to: #1624599

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Subject: RE: Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course
Good job out there! Sorry I couldn't chat more this morning - there were not enough volunteers! And it definitely did get windier while you were swimming. It was perfectly calm when I first got there, but then got noticeably colder when the wind picked up.

Anyway, nice job out there!
2008-08-24 9:20 PM

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
w00t! Hard to be happy without a PR, I'm sure, but it's like you said - this wasn't your focus of the latter part of the season. Your REAL PR [and one to be way proud of] will come in September!! Way to hang tough and make adjustments on the swim. If that had been me in T2 I would have racked my bike on top of the offending bike so good on you for not retaliating! Great race.. now get back to training!
2008-08-24 11:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-25 1:10 AM

Melon Presser

Eight seconds slower on a tougher day is TOTALLY a PR ... especially considering the transition snafu. Congratulations!

Getting a mouthful on the swim can really set you up for a tough race and you just powered through it anyway. I can totally see you getting steamed up about the AG girls passing you you are so funny and it was great that fueled you. Super job on the run and how ideal, that you had a great time and yet really pushed yourself.

Awesome!!!

2008-08-25 7:59 AM

Expert
Missouri
Good race and good report. You are right, there was a lot of chop out there. I am a decent swimmer and it bothered all of us.

Congrats! Now get back to training for Redman!

2008-08-25 8:07 AM

Davenport, IA
Congrats on your race. I haven't been in choppy water yet, but I can imagine how much of a difference that would make.

Edited by Sprint_DA 2008-08-25 8:08 AM
2008-08-25 8:49 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Due to conditions, you did better actually since you had to work harder.  Don't be discouraged.

Nice job and smile.

Hope to see you through passing at IM Moo in a few days.

2008-08-25 12:01 PM

Extreme Veteran

Agree that the chop in the water made things tougher, but thinking about it now, people's times were so much slower than last year I'm wondering if the bouys were placed the same.

Sorry I didn't notice you were at the awards ceremony, would have said hi. I stayed almost to the end to see a couple of friends get their hardware, but when we noticed the 2nd friend had bailed (on his 1st place AG) we decided to head out.

2008-08-25 12:22 PM
in reply to: #1625921

Expert
Denver, Colorado
wingsfan - 2008-08-25 12:01 PM

Agree that the chop in the water made things tougher, but thinking about it now, people's times were so much slower than last year I'm wondering if the bouys were placed the same.

^
^

I was thinking the same thing. Great job yesterday! I'm glad I got to do this one with you this year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackson County Triathlon - Long Course Rss Feed