General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 46m 47s
Overall Rank = 139/148
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, broke camp, drove 3 miles to race site. Got chip and body marked, set up transition and hung out. Geeze there were a LOT of people! Hung my tacky little BeginnerTriathlete.com shirt sign by my transition spot. Met up with etknowles, JChristoff, and Jungle Jenn.
Was VERY disappointed to learn that injured Chrisrunsz26 wasn't able to make it to the race. I missed you a bunch Chris!

Event warmup:

None. Warmed up my jaws talking to Jungle Jenn until my wave started!

Gonna stick nutrition here:
5:15 am Had 1/2 english muffin, pb, simply fruit, banana.
7:30 am banana
7:50 Gel
8:38 Swim
9:19 Bike segment
Drank 40 oz (2 bottles infinit) 440 calories
Drank 10 oz water
10:56 Run segment
Drank 16 oz Infinit ~180 calories
~4 oz water every mile.
Swim
  • 36m 25s
  • 1360 meters
  • 02m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim felt good. I felt like I got in a groove, had a smooth stroke going. Sighted well and swam really straight. Enjoyed a little contact. :) I didn't feel as slow as my time indicated. Lots of talk about the distance being wrong. I'm not going to worry about it. I felt good out there for the entire distance. Had to pee during the swim. Kept telling myself to just pee already and let it go, but I couldn't do it while I was moving and I didn't want to stop. This is the first of many times I thought about peeing during the day. ;)
What would you do differently?:

Not a damned thing.
Transition 1
  • 04m 9s
Comments:

I take my time in T1. I really need to work on doing this faster. I'd like to shoot for sub 4 minutes next year. Since I wear the same shoes for bike and run, it's a big deal for me to make sure I get my feel clean and dry and the shoes just right before I head out. I can do this faster.
Bike
  • 1h 35m 31s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 15.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Had to pee. Thought about peeing on the bike, but just couldn't bring myslelf to do it. Pushed the thought to the back of my mind and just enjoyed being out there. There was traffic on the course. Some stopped afraid to pass cyclists - some stopped taking pictures. VERY annoying. Nothing like getting slowed down in a traffic jam. Had a couple of noticable hills at the midway point and a couple of really nice downhills. JChristoff passed me on one of the hills and spoke to me. I didn't know it was him, but the encouragement was welcome. :) I got in the aero position more this ride than ever before. I felt better in some of the smaller hills being aero. Not ready for long distances in this position, but it was interesting to find myself gravitating to this position today. Paid attention to drinking frequently and making sure I drank both bottles of Infinit.

Work on becoming more efficient on hills. I don't really care to become really fast on the bike, but I'd like to get the average up in the 16's. I'm getting there.....
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

No big deal. Rack bike, helmet & gloves off. Grab a bottle of infinit. Start running.

Nada
Run
  • 1h 29m 33s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 13m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Brutal run. Started out strong out of T2. Had to pee from the start. That's a good sign, right? I'm hydrated. Of course, since I had to pee all day, maybe not.... Anyway, went out too hard the first mile, it was my fastest, and I faded from there. I really tried to stay with my run downhills and flats and walk on the uphills, but I was breathing way too hard and I never did get my heartrate below the 150s. Z4 the entire 6.5 miles. In the first mile, I was hurting, but it kind of cool talking to those heading back in from their run. I saw several friends heading in, including etknowles, and everyone was hurting. At the mile 2 station, my stomach was rumbling and I had to do more than pee, so I stopped. Fumbled with the sweaty one-piece tri suit in the sweltering porta pottie. Fun fun. Actually, it was nice to sit for a minute. ;) Headed out on my way. Gosh it was desolate out there. Hardly saw anyone. Joked with the volunteers at the mile 3 station. Finally hit the turn around point. Saw a vulture in the middle of the path ahead of me. Surely I can't look that bad!? Turns out there was a dead groundhog beside the path. Whew, felt like I was in a Stephen King novel there for a minute. I pretty much checked out around mile 4. I set a distance to run to, then walked. I tried to make the walking pace a decent clip, but even walking, I couldn't get my heart rate down. I started thinking, "I trained for this - I shouldn't feel this bad." and the negative thoughts just kept flowing. Nothing like a little bad energy to keep you company on a brutal hot run. When I could hear and see the finish line, I saw a lady in front of me and set my sights on passing her. She was not moving any better than I was and I did pass her before the final stretch. I ran as hard as I could down to the finish line and when the announcer called out, "Tammy Nickerson from Granville", I gave a little jump and hoot.

At each aid station, I got two cups of water. One for over my head and one to drink. Looking back 4 oz of water every miles was probably not nearly enough in the intense heat. High temp while I was out there was 87.8 degrees.

One thing I will say - as bad as I felt out there, quitting never entered my mind - even when the negative thoughts started flowing. I would have crossed that finish line had it taken me 6 hours.

Don't know - need to do some analyzing and figure this out. Think nutrition was my primary problem.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw etknowles, Fred, and another friend that joined us. Was very shaky at the finish. Had a couple of cups of heed, a banana, and some salty potato chips (HEAVEN!) and felt better. Hubby took a pic of Emerson and I (sorry, Emerson, that pic will NEVER become public!) Hung around transition for a while hoping to see Jungle Jenn come in off the bike, but never saw her. Was getting my things together to leave when I saw amyro1234 and introduced myself. What a cutie! :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not going to answer this question anymore. I am what I am. I train and I go out there and do my best. I can't ask for any more from myself. I love to train and I love to race. That's why I'm here.

Event comments:

Good race. Fun course. I'd defniitely do it again.

Last updated: 2008-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:25 | 1360 meters | 02m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 139/148
Performance: Good
I think the swim course was long. Was a shortened swim for an Olympic distance - supposed to be 1000 meters (probably why they called it the "mini" instead.) They had sprint, olympic, and HIM distances on one course. One loop sprint and mini, two loops HIM Garmin read .85 (1360 meters) for the swim and the run up to transition.
Suit:
Course: Counterclockwise rectangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:35:31 | 24.8 miles | 15.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 135/148
Performance: Good
Average HR 148 (Z3) - Max HR 166
Wind: Little
Course: Nice country with a couple of notable hills and a few rollers. Fun ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:29:33 | 06.5 miles | 13m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 141/148
Performance: Bad
M1 Pace 12:48 Avg HR 155 Max 167 M2 Pace 13:01 Avg HR 155 Max 163 M3 Pace 16:41 Avg HR 154 Max 165 (includes bathroom stop) M4 Pace 16:07 Avg HR 155 Max 162 M5 Pace 14:28 Avg HR 155 Max 165 M6 Pace 14:22 Avg HR 155 Max 164
Course: Bike path out and back with aid stations every mile. Mostly sunny and exposed. Very little shade, but the little we had felt oh.so.good!
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 9:03 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-08-25 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1625282

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio
Subject: RE: Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance

OMG...way to go Tam!!! You are just so cute. I LOL'ed about the peeing issue but am so glad that your nutrition seemed to work pretty well for you. I know that this has been a big issue for you and you seem to have it under control.  Good work on the run too, I understand from others tha were there it was brutal out there. I think the 3 some odd weeks of cooler weather, while nice, did not help with you having to be out there in the heat. You did so great!!! and I'm just so proud of you and you should be of yourself !!

Now get some rest and recovery and enjoy your accomplishment!!

2008-08-25 9:50 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN

Tam, great race!  You have an incredibly positive attitude about training and racing.  And you're right...quitting is not part of your vocabulary.

I think you'll be surprised at the improvement you'll see in your next Olympic distance.  You learned an awful lot this year.

Whoo hoo...way to finish your 1st Olympic!

2008-08-25 11:22 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Great race and Congrats on your first Oly!

I find it amusing the pee issues many of us have racing...just let it go is what I think works best...yah I know it is kind of gross...but saves time.

You were strong mentally...even with a little negative blip in the run..you had no doubts you would finish and you finished strong.

I agree with  Sparco that you learned a lot and come next year you'll be stronger and faster plus the distance won't be new to you.

Congrats 

2008-08-25 1:18 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Nice job Tammy. This was a difficult course with the hills on the bike and run. Not to mention the heat yesterday. Keep up the hard training and you'll see those times drop next year!
2008-08-25 1:45 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
FANTASTIC JOB out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008-08-25 2:15 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job Tam!

It was a brutal day out there and you did great! Keep up the good work!
2008-08-25 6:59 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington

WOOT!!!  Nice work!  I wouldn't worry about the swim time - I bet everyone posted long times that day.  And a brutally hot run after all the rest?  Way to muscle through it! 

I need WAY more calories than you do, but it sounds like maybe you needed a few more too? 

So proud of you - way to go!!!

2008-08-26 7:26 AM
in reply to: #1627132

User image

Expert
Twin Cities

Congratulations, again, on an INCREDIBLE Olympic distance triathlon, Tammy!

Like other posters, I was laughing out loud while reading your comments about peeing - been there done (or not done) that... how much time do we spend in the water, wondering if we can pee while moving?  (hmm, probably not something one should practice in the public pools, however  (:  )

You are absolutely incredible, and your tenacity, dedication, and introspection are true inspiration! 

2008-08-26 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Awesome job on the race! That is great that you were able to keep going in such tough conditions. I was struggling too!

It was great meeting you
2008-08-26 4:05 PM
in reply to: #1629938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Good Job Tammy, you are the best.... I totally agree with your disctiption of the last run... Brutal.  I have NEVER been so hot.  It was a gift to meet you and sorry that I will never see the picture...

I look forward to seeing you at IMKY.  We both will be a little more "presentable"

Be well and again, congratulations... Emerson

2008-08-26 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1630025

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
etknowles - 2008-08-26 5:05 PM

and sorry that I will never see the picture...

You can see YOUR half.  It turned out great!

Edited by tnickerson 2008-08-26 5:33 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed