General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear Shifting Drama--Please Help Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 8:28 PM

User image

San Antonio
Subject: Gear Shifting Drama--Please Help
I am a beginner and am enjoying building my base, but boy let me tell you I can't WAIT to get out of my thumb-sucking phase.

The bike ride kicked the sh*t out of me!! I really wanted to ride and it was getting late, and furthermore a thunderstorm was forming, so I prayed the Lord be merciful to me and let me get at least a good bit of a ride in. And He was :-).

Being as late as it was, I chose to ride around my neighborhood and see how my gear-shifting goes on the natural rolling hills in my area. I quickly found out these hills aren't THAT small after all!! I only rode 5.4 miles in a half hour and much of that was at a snail's pace (save for the lightning spins downhill...that was fun) and spent much of the time struggling with the gear shifting.

I am very much a novice at shifting gears, and being an arts major, I understand pictures far better than numbers. When someone says "low" or "high," "third" or "fourth," I have to whip out the instruction book. It's taken me several rides to get anywhere with the gears because I always seem to get lost somewhere in the middle....but I think it has FINALLY sunk in.

So being that I think more in pictures than numbers, please anyone tell me if I'm correct in how this gear puzzle works. I am working on a mountain bike with the twistie-gear shifters, so it seems to work best on my brain and on my legs when I move them in a "twisting" or "wringing" motion when shifting rather than moving both the right and the left in the same direction. When I look straight down at the chain I am wanting to keep it straight up and down between the wheels rather than \ or /, correct? And if I want to go up hill, which I did PLENTY today and not very easily, I have to put the front part on the big cog and the back part on the little one...is this right? And when going downhill, the front is on the little one and the back on the big one. Or maybe it's the other way around...oh hell, I forgot already. See what I'm going through???!!!

So throughout my ride I did have some high points other than my heart rate and my temper as I struggled trying to keep the gear thing straight in my head and get in the right gear before my legs died. The thunderstorm did not pass directly overhead but rather went around, leaving a gorgeous colorful rainbow in its trail. The dude on the skate board did his best not to laugh as he saw me lumbering down the road twisting and grinding and and moaning. The neighbors looked at me strange as they stood in their front yards and chatted on their cell phones, but my thoughts are, "Go ahead and stare. I may look stupid as I learn, but you are just getting fatter."

So I'm not saying it was a bad ride. I am proud of myself for not freaking out when I flew down some of these hills. When your legs are killing you, the downhill portion is much more fun.

Thursday I'm going to the nice, flat park. Any assistance on my gear troubles would be much appreciated.

2008-08-25 9:22 PM
in reply to: #1627422

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Subject: RE: Gear Shifting Drama--Please Help

Do not agonize over gear shifting.  It will come with time.  Going down a hill, I would be riding my highest gear, which is a combination of the biggest ring in the front and the smallest cog in the back.   Going uphill, you want to go into a lower gear (small front ring and bigger cog in the back).  The main thing to start with is to work on your cadence (revolutions of the pedal per minute).  Rules of thumb:

- when pedalling starts to get harder, downshift

- when you feel like you are pedalling in the air, upshift  

2008-08-25 9:26 PM

User image

San Antonio

Thank you so much...that is very helpful!!!

BTW love the avatar!

2008-08-25 9:28 PM

User image

San Antonio

It is definitely sinking in...much easier now :-).

Edited by amazonscorch 2008-08-25 9:31 PM
2008-08-26 7:46 AM

User image

Expert

Since you are a visual person, here is a tutorial that might help explain things a bit better. This guy is pretty good.

http://bicycletutor.com/gear-shifting/

2008-08-26 8:24 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
I wouldn't worry too much about terminology of High/Low gear.  I have been riding for 2 years and probably could not tell you the difference other than I know what gear I am in.  Basically you want to make sure your cadence is around 90rpm, you can either count for 15sec and muptiply by 4 to figure this out or buy a cheap cadence sensor.  Then just find a gear that keeps you around there.  If you see a hill approaching shift to an easier gear before you get to the hill.  IMO, it is better to shift before you need to.

2008-08-26 8:41 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

"BTW love the avatar!"

Thanks.  I think that it reflects my true nature well.  Originally I had thought of a chargin lion or a snarling pit bull but they were too scary so I went with the cat.  Also, I am a cat fancier, which is a fancy way of saying that I love cats ... hee hee ...

Have fun learning to ride a geared bike.  Adopt a good cadence, shift often and let the gears work for you.  I see mmany people with so-called 27 speed bikes grunting and straining in too high a gear when all they need do is downshift.  Or, conversely, spinning wildly and barely moving  because they are in too low a gear. 

2008-08-26 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1628200

User image

San Antonio
Hey Crazylegs thanks for this link! It is very helpful!
2008-08-26 8:47 AM
in reply to: #1628366

User image

San Antonio

Thanks to both of you...I will be out looking for a cadence sensor. My bike compo doesn't appear to have one.

BTW I am a cat person too...I have three indoor and one outdoor :-). I could never live without a cat!

(Cat_Lion.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Cat_Lion.jpg (95KB - 28 downloads)
2008-08-26 8:49 AM

User image

San Antonio
Oops sorry didn't know that was going to be so big...LOL
2008-08-26 11:48 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Here's a pick of my baby ... Darwin

(DARWIN2.jpg)

(A Perdy Puddy Tat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DARWIN2.jpg (28KB - 20 downloads)
A Perdy Puddy Tat.jpg (55KB - 22 downloads)

2008-08-26 5:56 PM

User image

San Antonio
He's gorgeous! If I weren't present at my red's birth, I would swear Rusty is Darwin's twin!
2008-08-26 6:02 PM

User image

San Antonio

(Sweet Rusty.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Sweet Rusty.JPG (9KB - 16 downloads)
2008-08-26 6:06 PM

User image

San Antonio

Seperated at birth????

(RD.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
RD.JPG (10KB - 22 downloads)
2008-08-26 8:04 PM

User image

New user

North of Boston
amazonscorch - 2008-08-25 9:28 PM

I am working on a mountain bike with the twistie-gear shifters, so it seems to work best on my brain and on my legs when I move them in a "twisting" or "wringing" motion when shifting rather than moving both the right and the left in the same direction.

Sounds like you're shifting both at the same time? As you may or may not have picked up from that tutorial, general you'll want to only shift one at a time.
2008-08-26 8:28 PM
in reply to: #1630573

User image

San Antonio

Sounds like you're shifting both at the same time? As you may or may not have picked up from that tutorial, general you'll want to only shift one at a time.

Yup you are right...I was doing them both at the same time. The tutorial has been very helpful. I'm sure the next ride will go much smoother! Thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gear Shifting Drama--Please Help Rss Feed