Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Chinook 1/2 IM- looking for race route details Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-26 9:52 AM

User image

Subject: Chinook 1/2 IM- looking for race route details

Hi,

I've been a lurker on here for awhile... lots of great info on here!!

I'm considering registering for the Chinook 1/2 IM for next June, but I was wondering what the race  course is like. How hilly is the bike portion? What is the trail portion of the run like, is it those short rolling little hills, or more gradual rolling? It's a bit of a toss up between the Great White North and this race, however I'm not sure I like how crowed the GWN race is... Also, does anyone know if the Chinook race fills up on the day of registration or fairly quick after? Thanks!

2008-08-26 10:18 AM
in reply to: #1628601

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Chinook 1/2 IM- looking for race route details
It is a great race. Great support. Two banquets. The bike is mostly uphill on the out and downhill on the way back, when I get home I will see if I can post the elevation data, gourgous bike course. The run is flat on almost all paved trails, with one hill. It is a two loop course so you go up that hill twice.

Did not fill up last year, I think there were about 200 entrants. It is a shame in that the demand for this race will likely be even less given Ironman Calgary 70.3.

(chinook half elevation.jpg)

(Chinook Half Elevation Running.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
chinook half elevation.jpg (44KB - 31 downloads)
Chinook Half Elevation Running.jpg (52KB - 32 downloads)
2008-08-27 9:46 AM

Regular

Hi, welcome to BT. 

I have this race penciled in for next year too.  It's 6 weeks before Ironman Calgary 70.3 which I'm already registered for.  I think 6 weeks is a good enough break in between the two events...but the Chinook will be my first HIM and more of a training race for Calgary 70.3.

The bike portion runs along highway 22x.  This has been my training route several times this year and I know it well.  It's a constant rolling of hills with a couple that have pretty gnarly inclines on the way back in to Calgary....but they aren't that long.  It does start to flatten out a bit as you get closer to Bragg Creek so there is some break in there.

2008-08-28 7:53 AM

User image

Awesome, thanks for the elevation info!! I emailed the race director about registration, he was positive that due to cash prizes being awarded in 2009 that the registration would fill quickly, and be capped at 400. So... I think just to be on the safe side I will register early, lots of motivation for the winter, and maybe even try to get out there for a training ride next spring. I looked at the 70.3 event, looks like a great race, next year will be my first 70.3 distance as well, I'm not as ambitiuos to do two in a row though!! Thank-you for the replies!
2008-08-28 9:42 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
That would be awesome if it had 400. That would be the perfect number, I really hope he gets that many. I really feel bad about buying into the 70.3 because I enjoyed Chinook so much. Maybe I can handle both.....I will have to really keep it in mind.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Chinook 1/2 IM- looking for race route details Rss Feed