General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pontiac Lake? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 1

2008-08-26 10:41 AM

User image

Subject: Pontiac Lake?

Just curious who's in for Pontiac Lake on the 7th?

2008-08-26 12:45 PM
in reply to: #1628764

Regular
Livonia, MI
Subject: RE: Pontiac Lake?
As of right now I am in, I haven't registered yet but plan to shortly. I'm trying to get a couple cousins to go with me.
2008-08-26 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Im in for the sprint probably. My dad and sister will be doing the race to, along with a couple other of my teammates!
2008-08-26 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
I'm thinking about it, I'm just worried about the traffic on Willams Lake road as there is a church or two on it. The area is a pretty heavily populated to be safe for a tri.
2008-08-26 3:23 PM

Regular
Livonia, MI
I read the road section on 3 disc, and they said there will be orange cones for an extra bike lane, not being familiar with the area I don't know if this is good or not.
2008-08-26 4:01 PM

User image

Ferndale, MI
Hi--just wanted to throw in my $.02, having done the race last year (assuming it is the same course).

I thought the bike was pretty dangerous, and there was so much traffic that it definitely made for some very peeved motorists (having to wait in long lines at intersections for racers to come through). There was always a car passing me, it seemed, and at one point a bunch of us ended up riding in between two lanes of cars so that we could make our turn.

I definitely don't feel like I was really able to get up to speed and stay there for any length of time. Lots of slow sections because I was unable to pass slower riders due to the traffic situation.

Other than that, it was a pretty decent race. I also remember the run being a flat out and back--flat but pretty boring.

Others may have had a different experience. I just know that it was the most crowded bike course I've ever ridden on.

2008-08-26 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1630013

User image

rasher76 - 2008-08-26 4:01 PM Hi--just wanted to throw in my $.02, having done the race last year (assuming it is the same course). I thought the bike was pretty dangerous, and there was so much traffic that it definitely made for some very peeved motorists (having to wait in long lines at intersections for racers to come through). There was always a car passing me, it seemed, and at one point a bunch of us ended up riding in between two lanes of cars so that we could make our turn. I definitely don't feel like I was really able to get up to speed and stay there for any length of time. Lots of slow sections because I was unable to pass slower riders due to the traffic situation. Other than that, it was a pretty decent race. I also remember the run being a flat out and back--flat but pretty boring. Others may have had a different experience. I just know that it was the most crowded bike course I've ever ridden on.

Thank you for your input. Those are definitely valuable comments. Anyone else with a similar or different experience? I would be interested to hear what others thought also. Thanks-

2008-08-26 6:06 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
There were some tight spots with traffic, but besides one major area the course wasn't all that bad. Just watch your self in the area between Nelsey Rd, to Andersonville Rd, then another left on White Lake Rd. On the way out I had no traffic issues at all, on the way in, there was traffic backed up, especially near Andersonville and Nelsey Rd, with a small section to ride along the right side of traffic. So this slowed me down a bit. Otherwise I had my best PR for an Oly ride (til this past sunday at Bluewater) on this hilly course, so I wasn't slowed down to much. If it wasn't for some of the traffic it would be a great course!

I didn't mind the run as there was quite a bit of shade for a good chunk of it, on a simple out and back, with a spur down a side street.

The Oly swim took us around an island out from the beach (towards the south side of the lake, or to your left as you look out from the beach, not the close island to the right) and there was an area around the island were it was easier to walk, but otherwise it was a decent swim.

I'd do it again, but I can't get any time off from work.

Good luck

Edited by rottieguy 2008-08-26 6:06 PM
2008-08-26 7:40 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
I did the sprint last year, and I fully admit, they NEED to do something different with the traffic when the sprinters are out there. The intersection was very backed up, and there is no shoulder at all, so you either chance it in oncoming, or hope that they left enough room to ride the white line. I chanced it in the middle of the road, but it was not good.

That being said, that was the first year for the event out there. Now they know, hopefully they have changed how they will handle that problem area, and hopefully residents know now, and will stay in if they can.

Other then that bike section that is bad, its a good course, and a good venue. If they can figure out that intersection, I think it will be a good new venue to keep as the championship
2008-08-26 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1630495

User image

Hey guys, thank you so much for the feedback. It is much appreciated.
2008-08-27 7:47 AM
in reply to: #1630013

User image

Veteran
Michigan
rasher76 - 2008-08-26 5:01 PM

Hi--just wanted to throw in my $.02, having done the race last year (assuming it is the same course).
I thought the bike was pretty dangerous, and there was so much traffic that it definitely made for some very peeved motorists (having to wait in long lines at intersections for racers to come through). There was always a car passing me, it seemed, and at one point a bunch of us ended up riding in between two lanes of cars so that we could make our turn.

I definitely don't feel like I was really able to get up to speed and stay there for any length of time. Lots of slow sections because I was unable to pass slower riders due to the traffic situation.

Other than that, it was a pretty decent race. I also remember the run being a flat out and back--flat but pretty boring.

Others may have had a different experience. I just know that it was the most crowded bike course I've ever ridden on.

X2 - the traffic was horrible last year, and I don't know how they will avoid the churchgoers. I had somebody in a car moving all the way over forcing people into the gravel. It was a dangerous situation. Post race food seemed to be 3D's best of the events I attended last year.

2008-08-27 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Flushing
I did the race last year and noticed this year they are starting the race earlier @7:45 instead of 8. I was in the last wave for the sprint and we didn't take off until almost 9:30 so maybe this will get things rolling a little earlier on the roads. Maybe this is to avoid some of the traffic. I do remember the line of cars that has been mentioned and wondering if somebody was going to get in an accident. I hope they take care of this because my wife is doing her 2nd race ever in this event. I am not because I am doing Tawas.
2008-08-28 12:39 PM

User image

Master

X's gazillion on the traffic comments posted above...

Last year this was my first sprint ever.  Racing the sprint again this year to check my progress.  On the way out the traffic was backed up a bit and on the way back it was really bad.  I had no trouble passing outside of those areas and admittedly got stupid riding up the middle of the road to keep some semblance of speed.  Hopefully the cones will help this year.  I imagine the Olympic ride is better due to the loner distance and less time bottlenecked at an intersection.

2008-08-29 10:35 AM

User image

Regular
Woodbury
I'm in for the sprint, before I saw the comments re. traffic (thanks).

I'm still in after...hopefully they've learned some things that will help.

Living nearby, I recently rode the course on a Saturday morning to get a feel...only problem I saw was no shoulder to bail out on.

2008-08-29 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Here's part of an email I received this afternoon. Sounds like they'll have a better setup. Hope it all works out for you. The one thing I noticed is that it states that the race will start 1 hour and 15 minutes sooner, isn't it only 15 minutes sooner?

Last year it may have been tough starting 15 minutes earlier as the fog was pretty thick on the lake, hopefully it won't be 38 degrees on race morning like last year.

Letter from Kenny:

Hey everyone, Kenny here, I have been getting some emails this week asking about what the new plan is for that intersection returning to the park. So rather than continue to send email after email out I thought I would let everyone know that has not read the website.

As most of you know who participate in our events regularly SAFETY is our top priority and why we have the track record we do with your safety.

You all know every event we host improves from the previous year, that is our promise to the athletes. This event is no different.

The issue was addressed immediately after last years event in post race meetings. We have had several meetings with local law enforcement and just met again this week. They love the event and are on board to make it the best possible situation.

You will have a dedicated coned lane the entire way back from your right on andersonville to your right on maceday, then you have the left there, then another coned lane extending from the final right turn heading back to the park. That coupled with a start time that is an hour and 15 minutes earlier should be excellent.

2008-08-29 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1638471

User image

Thanks for posting this. That was good of Kenny to send that out.

2008-09-05 1:05 PM

User image

New user

After a season full of Du's, I signed up on Tuesday night for the Tri.

I attempted Big Fish in 07 and freaked in the water so I pulled myself. After some coaching from Kellie, Im in for the Sprint Tri.

Be gentle on me if yuo see me in the water, I just want to finish! Ill be the big guy that looks like a bumble bee.

2008-09-07 2:33 PM

User image

Master

Well, I thought 3D did a better job organizing the race this year.  Congrats to all those who raced today and dealt with the lousy weather.  My race report is below:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=131513&posts=1&start=1

Edited by dangremond 2008-09-07 2:34 PM
2008-09-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: #1656410

Regular
Livonia, MI
dangremond - 2008-09-07 3:33 PM

Well, I thought 3D did a better job organizing the race this year.  Congrats to all those who raced today and dealt with the lousy weather.  My race report is below:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=131513&posts=1&start=1

All in all it went well, it was miserable out there this morning.  3D did a fine job with their support, those poor policemen and volunteers standing out in the cold rain, kudos to them.

However, there was one stretch of coned road that was just about impossible to stay to the right of the cones.

2008-09-08 6:12 PM

User image

Regular
Woodbury
Here's my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Roads and traffic were not the best, but I felt they did a pretty good job with control.

That rain was miserable, but this race went well for me. Finally met my goal of being age-group competitive in sprints.

Hopefully next year brings an Oly or two with the new age group (turning 40).

Jaren
2008-09-09 3:19 PM

User image

Master
Anyone else run with a gps or a foot pod on the Sprint?  I'm trying to idependently verify the distance of the run.  Anyone care to share what their respective gadget showed for run distance?

2008-09-09 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1661987

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
dangremond - 2008-09-09 3:19 PM

Anyone else run with a gps or a foot pod on the Sprint?  I'm trying to idependently verify the distance of the run.  Anyone care to share what their respective gadget showed for run distance?

I didnt have mine, but was curious to. In my findings wearing my GPS in 3d races, they are notorious for being about +/- .2

Edited by kellc09 2008-09-09 7:10 PM
2008-09-10 8:35 AM

User image

Master

My pace for the run calculated on 3.1 miles was pretty fast...I'd love it if my pace was actually that fast.  I show that the run was really closer to 2.9 miles.  Anyone else...Bueller?...Bueller?

2008-09-10 9:39 PM

User image

Regular
Woodbury
I did a satellite view check with Gmaps Pedometer, to the best of my memory, and I got 3.04 miles. It's a little tough without the "race landmarks" in view. Do you remember how soon before the road turned to dirt that we turned around? My guess was less than 50 yards.

I would not be surprised if it was a bit short (I had a good pace too!) but not sure if it was as short as 2.9.

We may never know...
2008-09-12 8:21 AM

New user

Regarding the run, I went to the multisport 101 clinic on Saturday and they said they cut out a right turn out of the park on Gale Rd, at the beginning of the run,  to avoid confusion.  I guess last year, exiting the park, runners turned to the right and then there was a turnaround a short distance ahead to head back out Gale Rd.  I thought the run felt a little short, especially felt that way when i saw my time.   I wondered if they had moved the mid-point turnaround down to compensate for this but my guess is that they did not.  Based on my training times, I would say about .2 miles short is a good estimate. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pontiac Lake? Rss Feed  

of 1