General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road-ID vs. X-Treme Sports ID Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-28 5:59 AM

Master
Subject: Road-ID vs. X-Treme Sports ID

I've now got one of each, and they both have some pluses going for them, but honestly, the X-Treme Sports ID is lighter, and I find I wear it all the time, rather than just working out (it's like one of those Lance bracelets).

http://www.xtremesportsid.com/

That said, I still wear my roadID when training, or racing "Just in Case"

Thoughts on one over the other?  Other alternatives?

2008-08-28 6:58 AM
in reply to: #1633958

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Road-ID vs. X-Treme Sports ID
For me I would rather have more info available. The X-treme is neat, but I prefer having a bit of text with phone numbers on my Road-ID.
2008-08-28 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Greenbelt, MD

If you want to be safe, I'd go with the Road ID.  Besides the additional information, to be honest if I glanced down on a call and saw that on your arm in a majorly bad situation (which, lets face it, if you are unconscious, it's a bad situation), I'm going to ignore it and think it's one of those Livestrong bracelets.  I'm not sure all first responders would notice the Road ID for what it is (we're taught more so to look for the metal medic alert bracelets), but at least it looks different than what people wear as simple decoration.  And the metal part stands out.

Just my two cents from the field.

2008-08-28 7:35 AM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina

LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY/OPINION BASED ON EXPERIENCE!!  Someone with EMT experience on this site said that they might very well not notice the Road ID on your ankle, if you were injured and treated by them on the road.  Unfortunately, I learned from experience that is the case.

I crashed very badly and, though conscious, had a head injury which was bad enough that I was kind of out of it.  I had the Road ID on my ankle, and the EMTs didn't notice until we got almost to the hospital and I pointed it out.

I promptly ordered the wrist version, which might be more noticeable if someone is taking your pulse. 

2008-08-28 7:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO

I'm glad AmbulanceDrive posted, because that was my first thought... They'd just think the Xtreme ID was one of the myriad of "cool bracelets" available.

2008-08-28 7:45 AM
in reply to: #1634072

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
AmbulanceDriver - 2008-08-28 7:23 AM

If you want to be safe, I'd go with the Road ID.  Besides the additional information, to be honest if I glanced down on a call and saw that on your arm in a majorly bad situation (which, lets face it, if you are unconscious, it's a bad situation), I'm going to ignore it and think it's one of those Livestrong bracelets.  I'm not sure all first responders would notice the Road ID for what it is (we're taught more so to look for the metal medic alert bracelets), but at least it looks different than what people wear as simple decoration.  And the metal part stands out.

Just my two cents from the field.

Because of this I ended up going with a medic alert style necklace from this company:

http://www.americanmedical-id.com/marketplace/build.php?buildwhat=necklace

Gave me plenty of room to put my name, docs name, and phone for my wife's cell and docs office.  It was more expensive but it looks decent too.

Joshua

2008-08-28 7:53 AM

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

I speak as a health professional and as one who has a medical condition requiring I wear medical ID, so this is just MHO.

My first thought is that the jelly bracelets are a fad and wearing one with life-saving information will be overlooked by first responders.

Secondly, once the fad of those silicone bracelets is over (isn't it already?) the company may no longer be around; remember, your medical info is not actually ON the bracelet - it's in a database somewhere. No more database means you're SOL. If you want to trust someone to keep your health info in a database, use a track-proven company like MedicAlert or RoadID. Better yet though, is to have an ID with the information clearly listed on the ID rather than directing someone to call a 1-800 number in order to retrieve your information.

2008-08-28 8:28 AM
in reply to: #1634139

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
sty - 2008-08-28 8:53 AM

No more database means you're SOL. If you want to trust someone to keep your health info in a database, use a track-proven company like MedicAlert or RoadID.

True...although, most people (like me) just use the bracelet for ID purposes (who are you) and who to call for consent/decisions/notification/etc.

That being said..I love my roadID. I have the wrist version...never thought about the ankle issue (responders not thinking to look there). Interesting.
2008-08-28 8:36 AM
in reply to: #1634259

User image

Elite
Armpit of Ontario

JohnAgs3 - 2008-08-28 9:28 AM
sty - 2008-08-28 8:53 AM No more database means you're SOL. If you want to trust someone to keep your health info in a database, use a track-proven company like MedicAlert or RoadID.
True...although, most people (like me) just use the bracelet for ID purposes (who are you) and who to call for consent/decisions/notification/etc.

This is what meant when I stated, "Better yet though, is to have an ID with the information clearly listed on the ID rather than directing someone to call a 1-800 number in order to retrieve your information." The X-Treme ID doesn't provide the ID info directly on the bracelet like RoadID does.

Edited by sty 2008-08-28 8:37 AM
2008-08-28 8:50 AM

User image

New user
North of Boston
You got a nearby Petco? Or any sort of petstore?  For about $3 they'll make you a tag (no, it doesn't have to be shaped like a bone!) with any information you want on it - allergies, emegency phone #, insurance ID, whatever. You can even get several of them and hook them to your bike, your water belt, the zipper pull on your wetsuit, etc.
2008-08-28 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
I was wondering about the same things a couple years ago when I was researching which route to go.

I ended up with the RoadID dog tag and have been pleased with it. Luckily I haven't needed it but knowing it's there is a small piece of mind.

Plus I chose the triathlon symbols for the engraving on the opposite side of the data and it turned out much better than I expected.

I wear the thing 24/7 almost like jewelry because you never know where you'll be and what you'll be doing when you need emergency help.

Edited by TriMike 2008-08-28 9:10 AM

2008-08-28 9:21 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I asked a similar question on ST a year or so ago when I saw that RoadID had the "interactive" version. Consensus was that the "interactive" version is pretty useless in any type of an emergency situation. If the information isn't RIGHT there, it'll be ignored.
2008-08-28 9:33 AM

User image

Dog tags are almost universally known to have information that first responders will want.  I also have worn them for most of my life so it was natural to get "contact these people and I'm not allergic to anything" dog tags for this stuff. 
2008-08-28 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina

A friend told me he just orders printed tags from the address label companies that have his info on them.  They make some pretty nice, vinyl adhesive labels.  He has one on his bike, helmet, etc.

I guess the label companies don't really care what they print on these, whether it's your address or your contact/health info. 

2015-05-15 12:02 PM
in reply to: Tri-FatBoy

User image

Post Falls, Idaho
I think a lot of the sports ID bracelets are way too inconspicuous to be useful.

For way less than what the specialized companies are charging you can get a custom impact printed or engraved stainless steel or aluminum dog tag with plenty of room for name, date of birth, allergies, and emergency contact number and wear it around your neck where anybody checking you out will find it. Out of sight when you don't need it yet easily recognized if someone is helping you.

Lots of places make these, like this place which has them for $4 with free shipping:
http://tag-z.com/custom-embossed-dog-tag-necklaces

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road-ID vs. X-Treme Sports ID Rss Feed