General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Can I use a surfing wetsuit for the open water swim? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-30 1:45 PM

Subject: Can I use a surfing wetsuit for the open water swim?

Hi all,

This is my first triathlon and though I do not have an "open water" wetsuit, I do have one I use for surfing. Can I use that one and save the 200+ dollars to buy an "open water" specific suit? I assume that the arm rotation capacity should be similar if not the same. Any other considerations?

Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Sean

2008-08-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: #1639459

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Can I use a surfing wetsuit for the open water swim?
A triathlon wetsuit provides two things that a surfing suit does not, aside from warmth: buoyancy and low friction. It also has very tight openings at neck and arms, so it won't 'catch' the water and cause drag. You'll swim alot faster in one of those.

I believe a surfing suit has very high friction and probably not tight neck and arms, so it's going to be very hard to swim in and really slow you down. You're better off with no wetsuit than a surfing wetsuit.

How cold is the water in your event? If it's not too cold, just skip the wetsuit. If it is too cold, then maybe rent a wetsuit.

PS: Good luck in your race!!!

Edited by keyone 2008-08-30 1:55 PM
2008-09-01 1:57 PM
in reply to: #1639469

Awesome,

Thanks for the info.

Best,

2008-09-02 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1639459

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

I have a shorty which I love for boogie boarding, body surfing and wake boarding.  Its Ok for quick swims, but anything over 50 meters is tiring.  I feel like Im dragging an anchor once it fills up.  So I woudnt (and didnt) use one

I rented a suit from F2R.com for my next race and I love it.  Its $45 (+ deposit) for 29 days.  The arm rotation was considerably less in the shorty compared to the F2R, I really didnt feel like the F2R suit was restricting me in any way.  It is also more buoyant so I float better which makes for an easier swim.  Basically Im sold on the use of a wetsuit.  So FWIW, Id start saving your pennies for a tri, or OWS, specific wetsuit.  It will make a difference.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Can I use a surfing wetsuit for the open water swim? Rss Feed