United States
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at just after 3:00 to take the trek down to Puyallup. Had cereal for breakfast and then listened to happy upbeat music on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

We met at the Starbucks on 44th in Puyallup. They weren't quite open yet, but the 30 or so runners, most dressed in yellow and black (Marathon Maniacs) told us we were in the right place. Got my race packet which consisted of my number (lucky number 13, which was cool since this was my 13th marathon), a little thingy of M&Ms, and pins. I bought a shirt which features a coffee cup running...very cute. The race itself was free, so I wanted to support in SOME way.
Run
  • 5h 16m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a BLAST on this marathon. I went into it nervous but choosing to think of it only as a "fun run." My back has really been acting up this week and I haven't run longer than 18 miles in two months. But it was free, it would get me another marathon notch in my belt (goal of 12 in 12 months), and I love Starbucks. In fact when I found out about it, I emailed the race director, Michelle, and said "You made a marathon JUST FOR ME!" (Once a week we run to Starbucks, have breakfast, then run home.) My friend, Marie, signed up as well. We had met at the CDA marathon and ran about the same pace (she pushes me) and both like to gab, so it's perfect!

Marie's husband, Tim, was going to run the first leg. He's preparing for his first half marathon, so is in training. Plan was that Roy would meet us at the first Starbucks and take Tim back to the start, then meet us at every other Starbucks with water. We didn't need that as they had water at every one, but he was still there! :D He's so awesome. He met me with Gu and when I told him I needed food (I started to stare down the wall about mile 15 because I hadn't eaten enough), he ran in and got me a biscotti that was a LIFESAVER! I was able to finish the race feeling great. I think my iron stores are getting low (something I deal with) because my energy took a major dip around mile 10 (two gus brought me back) and then again around 15 (lightheadedness, greying vision...I hate it). Fortunately I was able to pull out of it and finish. Having Marie there really helped because I didn't want her to be left behind if I dropped, and really...I didn't need to drop. I just need more iron and some food. (Will call doctor's office on Tuesday.)
What would you do differently?:

Fuel a little better early on. I don't think breakfast was enough calories (under 300) and I should have taken a Gu at mile 5 or 6, but I wasn't tracking mileage at all. It was 8 before I realized where we were (which is nice, but not good for fueling).
Post race
Warm down:

We actually had to run PAST the Starbucks and down to the waterfront for about a mile before returning to the finish line. When we ran back up there was just a chalk line and a bunch of maniacs on the sidewalk...it was so cool. They put our "medals" around our necks (sleeves from Starbucks cups on red, white, and blue ribbons) and we all stood around stretching and talking. Very NICE group of people!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My short, stubby legs. The fact that I'm not very fast. Getting lost. Not really being ready for a full 26.2, much less 27.

Event comments:

What a fun day! I really love being a part of Marathon Maniacs. There isn't this pressure to be fast, or make records. It's just a group of fun people who like to run long distances and are SO supportive of each other! As we'd pass people we'd high five each other. Lots of people know each other by their first names. We actually spent too much time at each Starbucks just talking to people! I think they are good role models for others because it's SUCH a positive group of people. This was my first race as a maniac and I didn't feel like "The New Kid" but like I really belonged. I look forward to doing MANY more maniac races.

Last updated: 2008-08-31 12:00 AM
Running
05:16:00 | 26.2 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Our actual distance was 27.05 miles because we didn't turn where we were supposed to at one point and went an extra .8 miles. Total run time was 5:03:03 and total time time was 5:16, which isn't half bad because we stopped and chatted, used the restroom, got food at every Starbucks (one of those, not all of those at every one).
Course: The course was a point to point. We started at a Starbucks in Puyallup and had to run five legs. Each leg terminated at a Starbucks. When we arrived at each Starbucks (about 5-7 miles between each one), an official photographer took our pictures and there was water, gu, and samples for us. How cool is that? The race finished at the Starbucks on Ruston in Tacoma. It was a relatively hilly course; not as bad as some, but definitely not a "fast" course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes