General Discussion Race Reports! » Scoggins Valley Olympic Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scoggins Valley Olympic Triathlon/Duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
AA Sports Ltd.
57F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 49m 49s
Overall Rank = 31/31
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

I got up as soon as the alarm went off. I got a good night's sleep, which is just not like me. After my shower I amde a pot of coffee and had a bowl of cheerios with banana. I got all my stuff together and headed out the door at 6:00am. It's an hour's drive to Hagg Lake from my house.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the parking lot, stretched.
Run
  • 29m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I used the restroom right before the start, but as soon as the run started, I had to go again. I held it which doesn't feel so good on the down hills. It was fine. I didn't feel like I got into a good rhythm until the turn around.
What would you do differently?:

Not start at the back. The difference between me and third place was a small margin and had I positioned myself at the front I could have maintained position.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I saw ell-in-or and her hubby as I rounded the corner and came down the boat ramp. That was fun! A little fan club! Coming into transition there looked to be 3 different chutes. I couldn't quite tell where I was suppose to be and there wasn't anyone there to point the way. I figured I was suppose to run across the mat where the timing chip thingy was so I had to jump over one of the lines. A race volunteer stopped me and told me I wasn't suppose to do that. My time would have been better but she held me up. Turns out I was fine.
Bike
  • 1h 43m 30s
  • 25 miles
  • 14.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I still had to pee. Overall it was a nice ride. I only passed one person, but he passed me later on. Everyone and their grandma passed me! Very discouraging. I still enjoyed the ride, especially once I got to the second loop. It seemed to really take me the first full loop to feel good on my bike. I saw my husband and kids pulling into the lake at that time, so I was happy they were there to cheer me on the rest of the way.

One big mistake I made was taking off my jersey on the run. I wore my long sleeved and just got too hot. Unfortuantely, my shirt underneath didn't have any pockets so I didn't have my gu or Power Bar with me on the ride. By the second loop and after "bummer hill" I was out of fuel. I had the shakes the rest of the way. On my practice ride out there I made sure to fuel up on the flat parts, but I didn't have any fuel on me thinking I'd be okay until T2. I was wrong. I should have just stuck to my original plan.

Fuel on the flats as practiced. I did have my energy drink which helped, but it doesn't have the calories I needed. HTFU and go faster!
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I was pretty hungry/shakey. I couldn't run so I just walked my bike to the rack, which was at the end. I changed my shoes, and had 2 paks of my Gu. My legs felt really good. They weren't shakey or heavy at all. I still had to pee.

Not take the time to fuel up had I properly fueled on the bike.
Run
  • 32m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I needed to walk the steep incline out of the parking lot to get my heart rate down, but otherwise I felt pretty good. I did have to stop and pee in the bushes on the run. I just wasn't going to make it. On the 2nd run I felt slow. Really slow. I really thought my time was going to be closer to 40 minutes, especially considering my pit stop in the woods. My goal was to not walk the hills and except for the very start, I ran the entire way. I was happy, and I even had a bit left at the finish. I think by the end the Gu was kicking in.
Post race
Warm down:

I found my family and ell-in-or and her hubby and chit chatted. I stretched a little in the transition area when I went to get my bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm just slow. I don't train as consistently as I need to. I make no excuses.

Event comments:

This is a small, no frills race. They had a newbie clinic before race start and it was well organized overall. I'd do it again. Even though I came in DFL, I was happy that I acheived my personal goals. My goal time was 2:50 and I did it in 2:49. I maintained a 10 min mile the first run and didn't walk the hills on the second run. I felt good after the race even though I got quite discouraged during the race when EVERYONE was passing me.

Last updated: 2008-08-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:46 | 03.11 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/31
Performance: Average
Course: I started at the back of the pack and that's where I stayed. The run starts on a short, but steep incline out of the parking. It's a clockwise out and back course that is continuous rollers. After the exit from the parking lots it's a nice down hill. A good time to get the hr in check.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 02:03
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Below average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
01:43:30 | 25 miles | 14.49 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: This was a 2-lap, counter clockwise ride around the lake with an out and back "extension" on Scoggins Valley Road. It's hilly but not too bad. There is one bummer of a hill coming off Scoggins Valley road. I reached a top speed of 5.5 mph on that one. It's a beautiful ride though. So beautiful you almost don't notice the hills. Almost.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:41 | 03.11 miles | 10m 31s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Same as before. Clockwise out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 3:54 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Subject: Scoggins Valley Olympic Triathlon/Duathlon

2008-09-01 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1641875

User image

Master
Finally north of the Mason-Dixon Line
Subject: RE: Scoggins Valley Olympic Triathlon/Duathlon
Yeah you did it and you did it in the time you wanted!  Who cards about DFL - you did it!  Proud of you!
2008-09-02 10:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois

Hey Kori!

Most Excellent Job!  Don't worry about the DFL... I've done it... Everyone should do it at least once!  You did awesome.  Way to go to not get discouraged and to keep fighting.  Get your timing on your nutrition down, and you'll be fine.

So, what's next?  You gotta have a plan (so you don't quit).

Again, great job! 

2008-09-02 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Hawaii
Way to tough it out, and still beat your goal time!
2008-09-07 1:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scoggins Valley Olympic Triathlon/Duathlon Rss Feed