Jack and Adam's Bicycles
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 49s
Overall Rank = 118/781
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/35
Pre-race routine:

We had to do bike check in on Sunday, so I linked up with two gals from Belton/Temple: my swim coach and BT'er, btchance. We loaded our bikes up and headed to Austin. We picked up our packets, browsed the expo, and then went and racked our bikes. My rack was on the far west side of transition--not bad for run out, but FAR from bike out and in. I then left my bike, for the first time, on his own....his first slumber party. I did leave instructions he was not to stay up TOO late playing with the other bikes...he had important work the next day. We then drove back. I got the gear together and was in bed before 9, and asleep before 10. The alarm went off at an EARLY 0300, but I felt good and did sleep. Ate a mini-Cliff bar. Got the pups situated, grabbed my stuff and headed to meet the girls. We met up on time and drove to Austin. I ate my PB&J waffle sandwich, a plum, a 0 cal energy drink, and had some water. We got to transition as it opened (we're all Type-A's...it's not an option). I had a good porta-potty visit, got body-marked, and set up my transition area. It was then chit chatting with friends prior to the start...along with a couple of other potty trips.
Event warmup:

Umm, I didn't do much. They don't allow pre-race swim warmups, so I guess my warm-up was putting the wetsuit on. I debated using the wetsuit and was CLOSE to not using it cause I thought it might be too warm. But, a more experienced tri-friend said she was wearing it, I decided I needed all the help I could get in the swim, so wear it I would. One GU about 20 minutes before start.
Swim
  • 26m 35s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

GREAT swim for me, in fact, best ever. BSLT was "faster" but I had a long running start as part of it. This one was overall better. I started out in the front line, I'd rather have people swim past me than have to swim past people. There was some initial contact, but not too bad and it didn't take long to spread out. The first leg was long, I caught a couple of feet, but they were fast and I lost them, but then towards the first turn I picked up some more. The water was smooth, my strokes were smooth, I sighted really well, and I had a good first two turns. I then was able to consistently DRAFT! YAY ME! She would slow down a bit much for me, so then I would move to her left and catch a side draft but keep speed, then she'd speed up and I could hop on again. I successfully avoided the slower guys waves that we were passing, and as I made the last turn in I just felt strong. Got to the exit, and the volunteers were great in helping us out, and we needed it. My friend Blythe was volunteering there and cheering for me. As is my method, I immediately began the long run to transtion and got my wet suit down to the hips and goggles/cap off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I sighted great, I drafted successfully as I could. I was 5th out of the water for my AG...I would've regretted not wearing the wetsuit. The buoyancy helps me. I literally pull faster than I kick...I did kick, but the wetsuit helped. I was conscience of my form more than ever before, and just confident with sighting. GREAT swim for me, GREAT pace! Thank you for wet-suit legal! And, I didn't even get CLOSE to overheating. I did notice, the wetsuit is A LOT tighter over my calves than last time I wore it... :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

This was the LONGEST distance for a transition EVER. It was at least 150-200m up stairs and to the transition spot. I overshot my transition initially, got back to it, took the suit off, which the transition area was in sand, so mud everywhere. But, I got it off, got my bike shoes on, some dirt in them, but no worries (need cleaning now...) and helmet, glasses. It was then time for the 1/4 mile, and I'm not exaggerating, run to the mount line. Even the open wave, the closest to the mount line, had a fastest T1 of 1:52...I was on the OTHER side, and had to run with my bike that far. LONG transition.

Need work on wetsuit removal. Wasn't bad, wasn't good. Not miss my row initially (just went one up)...first time that has happened. Nothing to use as a land mark.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.06 mile/hr
Comments:

I just really had fun on this course. I wanted to push the downhills and flats, properly gear the uphills to spin them, and watch to keep a 91-97 cadence. The first loop the course didn't have too many racers on it. The open/elite wave was already on their 2nd/3rd loops and getting passed by them made for some nice views. ;) I passed several guys, a couple of girls, but wasn't really paying attention. I pushed the first loop pretty hard. The second loop I played the hills a little bit better, pushed the downhills well. The third loop I did about the same. Once the course got crowded the scariest places was the great S.Congress downhill and the turn arounds cause there were just too many people on the course, and too many who did not understand the concept of staying to the right unless passing. So, as I could legally, I ended up staying left a lot on some of those spots as I was passing the sprinters. It wasn't hot at all, the grit in the shoes didn't bother me, I took in 1.5 bottles of fluid and two GUs--one half-way through, and then one at 22 miles before I got to dismount to propel me on the run. Once I came down the turn to go to the dismount line I got my feet of my shoes and did probably the last 300m with my feet on top of shoes.

Nothing...couldn't be happier with my ride here. Best gear shifting, good drinking/nutrition, good passing...just so much fun to go FAST!
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Pretty good transition...got to my rack without issues this time, got the bike on it, helmet off, my feet were WAY sandy due to running in the sand from dismount to my rack, so quickly wiped them on the towel I had sticking out just for that. Slipped my feet into my well body-glided shoes, grabbed my garmin, hat, and water bottle and took off. I had started the swim with my race belt already on, number rolled up underneath my tri-shorts, so one less thing to do. I will do this again!

Nothing much, this was good considering the distance. This is the only place I gained any time on #1...I had one of the faster times out there compared to everyone.
Run
  • 47m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off and was seeing 7:10 pace, so I slowed it down, got my HR at about 170 (bottom of Z3) and my pace around 7:35 and just went from there. The first loop took a bit for me to get in the groove. I carried my own bottle (hate stopping to drink) of Nuun, and sipped as needed. I tossed water on my head at every drink station, took advantage of the spray hose lady at Jack and Adams, the sponges when they handed them out, and the kids with the water guns spraying people. This kept me cool and kept me trucking. Had some friends cheering me on at a couple of spots, and that encouraged me. I passed at least 2 girls that were ahead of me and in my age group in the first loop. I had no idea how many were ahead as the course was mixed sprint/oly racers at this point. I kept looking for the girl that won #1 cause I knew she was ahead of me (bike gone when I got to my bike, bike back when I got to my bike) but hadn't seen here, finally, after I started loop 2, I saw her and knew she was a good near mile ahead of me, so I just told her to go get it, she was trucking! I pushed it on, felt great the 2nd loop, picked up speed on the last downhill, and the last 200m I got my "sprint in" kick that I don't know where it comes from, and I did sprint it all the way in. I knew, within the last two miles I might make sub 2:30 and that was what I was pushing to do! Looked at watch after I was done, and saw 2:28 and was ECSTATIC!

Maybe push harder a little earlier, I still had some kick...but at the same time, it took me the first loop to feel comfortable, I kept a steady pace throughout really, but actually felt "comfortable" the 2nd loop. I was afraid I may have pushed too hard on the bike, but looks like I did okay. #1 ran about 20secs/mile faster...so I guess just run faster! :)
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water, cool towel, went to watch for friends to come in and chatted with other racers. Grabbed some fruit, and a little sample Cliff MOJO bar (I can't do the post-race pizza...ugh). Got changed, waited for awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

One-day taper...I am training for the Longhorn 70.3 so I've been training through races. I am SO looking forward to tapering fully for a race to see what I can do. BUT I am thrilled to have done what I did here today. Very very very happy.

Event comments:

Well organized, great volunteers, great organization, great post race food/drinks available, U2 cover band, friendliness, etc. My only complaints were the FOREVER long run with the bike to the mount line (dimsount in wasn't as bad), and how crowded the course became. Otherwise, awesome race and I'd love to do it again!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:35 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/35
Overall: 167/781
Performance: Good
Suit: Wetzoot fuzion sleeveless
Course: Straight out parallel to shore, right turn, right turn, parallel to shore, right turn in at Lady Bird/Town Lake in Downtown Austin.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:48 | 24.85 miles | 21.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/35
Overall: 166/781
Wind: Little
Course: 3-loop course throughout downtown Austin. One long up-hill, one steep up hill, one gradual up-hill. Nicely blocked off, decent surface (some pot holes to watch for), just got crowded once the sprinters got on the course too.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:00 | 06.21 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/35
Overall: 141/781
Course: 5K course, looped twice, one slight hill/incline up towards Jack and Adams, one small incline at a turn around, and one hill up a bridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-01 8:58 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: The Austin Triathlon

2008-09-01 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1642326

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: The Austin Triathlon
You had a great race today!  Your swim is getting fast- 5th in AG is awesome!   Good for you for pushing the 2nd lap on the run and making your time goal!
2008-09-01 9:55 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
great race today. looks like you had solid efforts thru out and hit your overall goal. you go girl!!!!!!!!
2008-09-02 12:42 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Great race, Britt!  You really kicked it out there.  I can tell from all your writing that you loved it, too.  That's most important: doing what you love.
2008-09-02 7:44 AM

User image

Tyler,

great job out there. sorry been out of touch lately. Been busy. Great race.

Is a one day taper, really a taper?

2008-09-02 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Awesome race, Brit.   

2008-09-02 8:16 AM

Master
Houston
Fantastic job, Brit!!!  I am getting excited about Longhorn for you now! 
2008-09-02 8:39 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
You were smoking fast out there!  Great job, Brittany!
2008-09-02 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Once again, great job out there!
2008-09-02 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
Congrats on a great race and the HW!
2008-09-02 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Congrats on an outstanding race and the podium spot!!!! Killer run. Great job once again!!!

2008-09-02 5:31 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
WOW you are so crazy fast....you you just plan on going pro or the olympics or something
2008-09-02 8:58 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Great job out there girl! Had lots of fun with you guys this weekend, and I know you'll do great come Longhorn. Keep it going!
2008-09-02 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Wow! Awesome performance all around. Congrats on getting the 2:28 !!
2008-09-03 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Great race! I'm really impressed with your swim. You always kick butt on the bike and run, so now that you're swimming is coming along you'll be unstoppable soon!
2008-09-03 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Looks like another great race for you, congrats!!

2008-09-03 4:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Randleman, NC
Awesome race B, just awesome. I'm glad you wore the wetsuit! ALWAYS take that option if you can. Your next race after a "taper" should really be something!
2008-09-05 10:12 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Awesome!  Congratulations on your great race and beating your goals! Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Austin Triathlon Rss Feed