United States
Musselman Triathlon
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 43m 55s
Overall Rank = 194/559
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 26/58
Pre-race routine:

Normal bagel with peanut butter and raspberries for breakfast. Some G2 as well. Clif bar while getting ready in transition.
Event warmup:

Some short jogging around the area and stretching.
Swim
  • 44m 45s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

What was funny here was that I walked to the first buoy after the start, it was so shallow! Then rounding the first turn buoy heading into wind and waves. Forget bilateral breathing! Water washed over me on the right side. Got lost a few times as I couldn't see the last turn buoy. Got kicked in the face and goggles went askew. Recovered quickly and finally got to the next turn buoy. Practically body surfed in! Not really a bad swim. Still slow.

What would you do differently?:

Perhaps sight a bit more often and I think I'm going to have to try different goggles. I probably shouldn't have waded as much as I did to the first buoy. Think I adjusted pretty well to the amount of chop.
Transition 1
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Better than Eagleman. Decided on socks for the bike and those took a bit of time.

Perhaps have the shoes on the bike, but I'd have to practice that.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 35s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Into the wind after transition and in low gears/high cadence. But turned the corner to go north and flew past many people in high gear but still high cadence! What a rush! Turned south again for 5 miles and slow going once again. Then crossing over to go north, went screaming down a long hill with a slight tailwind. Max speed 34 mph. Going north again cautiously thru a park for 4 mile and rain had started up. Couldn't see well here and didn't want to crash or flat. Finally back on the road for last part and flew/hammered once again! Nice ride but slower than Eagleman.

Not much as I was doing about as expected on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

I tried getting out of my shoes while still on the bike but this didn't work well and I had to get back in them.

Practice more getting out of my shoes prior to T2
Run
  • 1h 58m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Raining as I start and continued through most of the course. Flat to begin and legs not happy about the hammering I did on the bike. Worked that out but every now and then, legs would still remind me they weren't happy. Mostly rolling course with one steep uphill coming up to mile 7. Really didn't mind the course but could've done without the rain, along with the close thunderstorm. Good volunteer and crowd turnout despite the conditions. Not pleased that legs were having problems. Plus I had a piece of dirt or something in my one shoe that was irritating the entire way and couldn't clear. Still, an under 2 half marathon isn't something to sneeze at.

I'm not sure if I just didn't save anything for the run or what. But legs were definitely not happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Difficult to adequately cool down as the rain squall came in and thoroughly drenched everything. Would've done the ice bath if it had been warmer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was definitely a factor on nearly all parts of the race. Plus training needed to be a bit different to stress the muscles more for endurance.

Event comments:

So, the slower times on the swim and bike I made up for on transitions of all things. The run is really where I made the most gain from Eagleman but I expected this as I was able to run nearly all of the Musselman course. I was a little disappointed that it wasn't sub-9 since I knew I was capable of this though the course was rolling. Considering the 6 hour drive, I'm not positive about coming back next year but it will be something to think about.

An overall positive experience for the whole Musselman Triathlon Festival! The Triathlon Festival and the amenities for all the athletes made for a very worthwile event/weekend. If it hadn't been for the weather, I would've called the event big success. Highly recommend this one!

Last updated: 2008-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:45 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 32/58
Overall: 452/559
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU full Team
Course: Inverted Triangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:03
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:55:35 | 56 miles | 19.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/58
Overall: 193/559
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course: A single weaving loop with mostly N-S oriented stretches. Rolling hills with one short climb on mile 30-ish.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:03
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:58:29 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/58
Overall: 239/559
Course: Rolling hill course with some flat parts along the lake at start and finish. One nasty hill at around the halfway point. Rest winds through town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes