World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to Louisville late Thursday night (stayed at the Galt House). Woke up Thursday morning, and went to the practice swim-- ended up getting to meet Abbie, Heather, Scott, Shaun and Kenny. Once the swim was over, got a glute massage (my butt hated me from the 12 hour drive down to Louisville), registered, bought stuff I didn;t need (but it said Ironman on it) and then drove the course with Heather, Scott and Heather's fried (whose name I can't remember). Realized that there were lots of hills, but nothing looked too difficult. Took a short nap and then headed to the Athlete's dinner where there was a huge BT crew. Very cool to meet everyone. On Friday I swam again and then did a quick bike with a few other BTers. Completed flipped out when post bike I realized that Chris (who had forgot to pack socks for the trip) decided to wear my special turtle run socks. Spent 2 hours calming myself down about the socks then packed up my gear bags and checked everything in. Kind of scary saying goodbye to my stuff for the night. Spent the rest of the afternoon with my family, and finally got to bed about 9 a.m. Woke up at 4:30 a.m. My mom went with me to transition and then to the swim start. I was probably about the 500th or so person in line.
Event warmup:

No real warm up. Waited in the swim start line, drank gatorade, ate my PB&J and fig newtons and chatted with the girl behind me from Canada. Saw Chris, Erin my dad and Matt once it got light out. The pros started at 6:50 then AGers at 7 a.m. I got to the water at 7:20, beeped over the line and was off.
Swim
  • 1h 23m 13s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had to pee really badly at the swim start, but didn't want to leave my place in the start line so I spent the first 200 breast stroking and trying not to look too conspicuous. Afterwards I got up to a decent pace and the swim felt like it flew by. Had some goggle issues with fogging and the goggles being too tight. At about 59 minutes I finally saw the changing tents in transition and picked up my pace. Overall pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Site better. I definately did some crooked swimming by following the shore line rather than swimming at the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 07m 56s
Comments:

Pulled off my cap and goggles on the way out of the water then trotted up to the bag area. Volunteer was waiting with my bag and I headed to the changing tent. Nice volunteer helped my get dressed and sunscreened and fed. I really like having a transition assitant. Kind of strange the door out of the tent was open and there were photogrpahers there taking pictures of all the women changing. One of the volunteers yelled at them to get away. I thought it was kind of funny.
Bike
  • 7h 32m 26s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.85 mile/hr
Comments:

It was HOT! And the wind only made it hotter (kind of felt like I was riding into a hairdryer). The first twenty miles went well, the TT start caused a lot of bikers to bunch up and it was a little tough to find any space. I saw two nasty spills as well. At mile 2 a girl's water bottle fell out, she ran over it and skidded out across 50 yards of pavement. Then at the bottom of the steep out and back descent another girl took a nasty tumble into a ditch. Chris told me she broke her arm. Once I hit the first lap of the double loop, the wind felt like it picked up and really slowed me down. Even on flats it was tough to get any speed going and little hills were killing me. On the seoncd loop I could tell I was getting tired and dehydrated (even though I drank more than I had ever previously done on the bike). I was so excited to get to special needs and then see my family at LaGrange. At about mile 70 or so I completely lost feeling in my feet so I hopped off the bike and walked for a while until the feeling came back. Little did I know that was unnecessary as I flatted out at miles 85 and again at 90 -- back tire both times. First time I was a big girl and took care of things by myself. Second time -- I got lucky and the bike tech crew helped me out. Then home with a tail wind. Bike time was a little long, but with the flats and wind it wasn't bad.

1. Lose weight.
2. Learn to fix flats better.
3. HYDRATE more
Transition 2
  • 11m 49s
Comments:

I was feeling ok coming into T2, especially after my unexpected breaks on the bike. Head and legs were a little tingley from the heat, but nothing serious. Dropped my bike and walked down to the bags and then the cahnging area. Changed tops and decided that nothing looked good to eat. Put on my stretched out run socks and shoes, got sunscreened again and headed out on the run.
Run
  • 6h 25m 47s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I was a major pokey puppy. I just could never get comfortable or find a nice pace. To make things worse, nothing would settle in my stomach. I could pretty much only take in watered down gatorade. Kept a pretty even pace until mile 10 whne I dies for a while, things got better around 13 (when I had to pass the finish line, which sucked), I kept up a decent pace until 18 and then decided that if I wanted to finish I needed to walk.

Met lots of great people on the run/walk and got to see Amy (flying by), Mike, Chris, Shaun, Heather, Abbey and Kenny. Felt bad that as I was coming into Mile 25 they were pulling people off the course and removing their chips. Also way too many ambulances and people who were seriously hurting.

Just before the finish line I met up with my Dad and Chris, and I started trotting in down 4th street. High fived all the kids lining the finish and then crossed over. I was a dumbass and didn't go look at my pictures on Monday morning so I still have no idea what my finish looked like.

Run more. Loose weight (hmmmmmm re-occuring theme). Run more. While I gain quite a bit of bike speed training for the IM, I lost over 1 min / mile of run speed which sucked. I think I benefit from more frequent running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish with my gold-toothed catcher, got my picture taken, and headed to KICC for food & massage. Found Abbey and Gary once I got there. Was happy to eat potato chips, take off my shoes (and get to see my enormous blisters) and get a massage. Post-massage walked back to the hotel (barefoot), showered and crashed.

Appearantly though I didn't hydrate well enough as I woke up around 2 a.m. shaking and vomiting. Not fun. I ended up spending most of the night on the bathroom floor, but felt better in the morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

WEIGHT.

Event comments:

I'm an IRONMAN!

Last updated: 2007-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:23:13 | 4224 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: Time trial start (I started about 20 or so minutes in), against the current with Towhead island on your left then out in open Ohio River water up to a turn around buoy and then back down with the current to transition.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:56
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:32:26 | 112 miles | 14.85 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out on fairly flat terrain for 20-ish miles then a hilly out and back for about 5 miles, then two 30 mile loops of very rolling terrain and back in on a fairly flat 20 (I think that adds up to close to 112). The hills aren't bad but the wind made the double loop tough -- that and there no relaxing at getting into groove, the course is constantly moving.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 11:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:25:47 | 26.2 miles | 14m 43s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-03 2:16 PM

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2008-09-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1646696

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Great job Kelly!  Way to go Ironman!  IM in 09?????
2008-09-03 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Kelly - you had an amazing race!!!!  2 flats - wow!  That is mentally difficult to overcome, but you did!!!!  Way to go!!!!  :-)

2008-09-03 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1647025

User image

Champion

Great Job Kelly.  

Nice way to slug it out on a hard day.

2008-09-03 6:29 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Congratulations!!! Way to make it through 140.6 with a bum shoulder and hairdryer-like conditions.
2008-09-03 7:56 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Awesome job!! Congratulations Ironman!!!

2008-09-03 9:46 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You are an Ironman~

Remember when we met at Cranberry 2006 and look how far you have come in 2 years..dang impressive!

Glad you over came obstacles and were able to put together a solid race making adjustments as needed.

You accomplished a lot!

Enjoy your special post IM time...I love my first week post IM..hope you do too.

2008-09-03 9:57 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Congrats IRONMAN!!! You did Awesome! It was great to meet you this weekend... I hope to see you at races in the future......you and the turtle socks...

Kenny
2008-09-05 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
It was so great meeting you! Thanks for driving us around on the bike course Friday! You are a genuinely warm person and eay to talk with.

If you hadn't had those darn flats, we could have walked and talked together on that run! It was a long, difficult day, but you gotter done!

Plans for 2009?
2008-09-05 2:20 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Good job Kelly!  And good report.

I'll be honest, I was really worried about you when I saw you walking on the bike course.  I was glad to see you again on the run and know you perservered on the bike! 

Good luck in AZ.

~Mike

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed