World Triathlon Corporation
96F / 36C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 51m 54s
Overall Rank = 272/1975
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 39/320
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine started by not being able to sleep at all. I'd guess I had 2 hrs of sleep on the outside. I finally got out of bed at 3 am and had some oatmeal, a Cliff Bar and started hydrating. I took a shower and contemplated shaving my upper body but then thought with 2 hrs sleep I'm not going to be pushing any limits today and decided against it. Got to the transition area around 4:30 am and just hung out and chatted with folks there until they opened up the transition area at 5 am. I was a little stressed about my gear bags as I didn't put my HRM and tri top in my bag and was nervous they wouldn't let us get to our bags in the morning. This is what was said at the briefing. They did let me put my stuff in, at least give them my stuff and they put it in the bag. I loaded up my bike with my nutrition, did a little pre race interview with JeepFleeb and headed down to the swim start. I wanted to get there early to get off as close to the pros as I could. Turned out the first guy in line got there at 3:30 AM!! Unbelievable! I could not believe how long the line was at 5:30 AM, an hour and a half before the start!!! WTF!!
Event warmup:

The only warm-up was waiting in line for a couple hours!
Swim
  • 55m 55s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 19s / 100 yards
Comments:

Being a TT start, I wanted to get down to the swim area early. I needed to hand my bike bag to the volunteer overseeing the transition bags, put my nutrition on my bike, talk to Jeep Fleeb for a pre race interview and head down to the swim start. I thought I was doing pretty good time wise getting out of transition but when I got down to the swim start the line was already really long. So much for an early swim start!

Standing in line for 1 ½ hrs before an IM race is really boring. When I had to use the bathroom I got some looks from people when I got back in line. After using the bathroom a couple times it was getting close to the pro start. They went off when it was still pre dawn and I was so far away I couldn’t see who was who anyway. I decided to wear the Speedo FastSkin leg suit and not shave my upper body. I put the suit on when the pro’s went off and of course I had to pee again. FYI - In a wetsuit, if you have to pee before you get in the water you can just step in the grass and let it go and it comes out your ankle in to the grass. Not so in a FastSkin that REPELS WATER!!! If this does happen to anyone, the only way to get the droplets off the suit is to jump up and down and look like you are warming up to stretch!

It was finally time to start and the line started to move. There were probably 300-400 people in the water before me. As I got closer to the dock I noticed that others had to use the bathroom as well. There were a number of puddles as I made it down the ramp and it hadn’t rained in 2 days. When I approached the swim start we crossed a timing mat and everyone started to run to the end of the dock. I jumped in feet first and started to swim toward the island to get out of what little current there was. I was weaving in and out of swimmers like crazy. I couldn’t see them until I was right on top of them and had to make a couple of quick blocks with my arms when I came up on some breaststrokers. (I think breaststrokers should have to drag a buoy behind them to warn people that come up on them.) When I dodged out of someone’s way I took in a mouthful of water and swallowed it. YUK!!! I threw up a couple times in the next few minutes before I took in some more water and threw up a couple more times. Just before the turnaround I came up an a rather large woman that wasn’t swimming very fast. If there is a woman reading this that all of a sudden had a hand up there butt, I apologize!! As soon as that happened the song “I Like Big Butts” popped in my head and didn’t leave until I was well into the bike! THANKS CUBE!!!! Once I got to the turnaround it started to get easier to swim and people started to spread out. I wasn’t pushing the pace at all after throwing up a number of times, I pretty much set the cruise for 70% or so and cruised on home. I kept looking back to see if anyone was drafting me but there wasn’t. I thought I was going to be close to an hour and was surprised to see 55min and change.

What would you do differently?:

Not drink the Ohio River! YUK!!!
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

Took a little extra time getting help with my top and getting my race belt on.

No much
Bike
  • 5h 13m 33s
  • 112 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I got to the transition tent and had a volunteer help me with my tri top, sunscreen and helmet. When I got to my bike I put on my race number with the MyAthlete tracker, put some Cliff Shots in my pockets and headed out of T1. I noticed just before I left T1 that my chin strap wasn’t fastened. Whew, that was close. I hopped on the bike and was off. It took about 2 blocks before I got my feet into my pedals, everything was flat so I didn’t need to rush it. I knew after swimming in 84 degree water that I was going to be dehydrated, not to mention throwing up a few times, so I started with the fluids and in the first 30 minutes had finished 32 oz of water and a bottle of Gatorade. I grabbed a bottle of water at the aid station and another bottle of Gatorade, squeezed the bottle into the NeverReach and grabbed 1 more to pour over my legs and back. That felt pretty darn good. I set my watch to go off every 20 minutes and took in a mouthful of gel solution every time I heard it. The first 10 miles or so was fairly flat and there were about 6 other riders that kept shuffling positions, keeping the legal distance but it was just hard to spread out. They finally took off and I didn’t see them again for a while. My plan was to take the hills easy and work the flats and down hills. I wasn’t paying much attention to speed, just cadence and HR and I kept seeing some really low HR numbers. The hill sections were not too bad at all, my MHR on the hills was only 159 which is barely in Z-3 so I seemed to be executing the plan. After about an hour my stomach seemed okay and I started with the solid nutrition. I ate 3 Cliff bars over the next 3 hours along with Cliff Shots while trying to finish close to a bottle of Gatorade each hour as well. I grabbed a water bottle at each aid station to refill the NeverReach and another to pour over me and got a new Gatorade bottle as well. I just tossed what was still remaining and looked forward to the cold drinks. The volunteers were very good at handing out the water and supplies. I went through the stations at 20+ mph when I could and never dropped a bottle. I mixed a few bananas in there as well for something different.

About 20 miles into the ride I arrived at the out and back where a couple significant climbs were. I was flying by people on the down hills and just spun up the hills without much effort. The ride through the horse farms was beautiful. Some horses were out and seemed to be curious about what strange noises were coming from those funny looking things going by. J I turned back onto Rt 42 to head out to the loop in LaGrange. There was a headwind the whole way out and that was kind of annoying, it seemed to be blowing in my face for ¾ of the loop. Go figure! I was thanking the people for standing out in the heat to cheer us on and when I looked up in the sky at one point I saw some rather large vultures soaring. I mentioned to one family that the vultures were a nice touch, I hope they stay hungry! The turn onto Rt 42 back to the start of the second loop was a nice break. Finally, a tailwind!! Man did that feel good. At this point I didn’t have much company, it was nice to see people when I hit the second loop. I passed a couple pro women somewhere around the beginning of the second loop, couldn’t catch Hillary though. I was keeping on top of my hydration and nutrition and was really needing to pee. I tried to stand up and let it go but just couldn’t go. I reached a spot where I was catching a few riders and looked back and saw no one in sight and just pulled over and went. It was a quick pit stop and I got right back to business and caught the riders ahead. As I passed them someone came out of nowhere and went by me. It turned out to be Pat (devilwillride) who said that he wanted to say that he chased me down. J On the second loop I came up on a group of the Mexican riders that were riding 4 abreast and passed them. Next thing I know there is a motorcycle next to me showing me a yellow card and telling me to stop at the next penalty tent. At that point my back was getting tired and my back wheel was making a strange grinding/clunking noise so I figured the 2:00 would be a welcome rest. Unfortunately, the next tent I saw was at transition. Making the final turn on the loop on to Rt 42 was like heaven. I saw the sign Louisville 33 miles and there was a nice tailwind and it was almost all down hill!! Whheeeeeeee!!!! I actually ran out of water coming home the last stretch. I still had Gatorade and I was sure there was 1 more aid station. I needed a gel but wanted water to wash it down with. I finished the Gatorade just as I came up to the last aid station. I grabbed a water, poured it in the NeverReach and poured some on my legs and made it home. My rear wheel was making noise still and actually slipped a couple times in the last 7 miles. All that matters is that I made it back. When I packed my bike it looked like my rear hub had failed and the assembly just fell apart when I took the skewer out.

Absolutely nothing. I think this was as close to perfect as the ride could have been.
Transition 2
  • 06m 14s
Comments:

Had to spend a penalty in the penalty tent during transition and stretched my back out before I left T2. I also used the porta potty because I had to piss like a race horse!

Not have a penalty to serve and get out of T2 faster.
Run
  • 5h 32m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say about this run? I came off my bike and my back was killing me. I stretched a lot in T2 but knew I just had to get out and start running. On the way out of the tent I figured I might as well hit the toilet because I was definitely hydrated on the bike. As I came out I let the sunscreeners go wild, I have to say that they didn't compare to the sunscreeners at IMWI!! :) Out on the course we had to go up a slight grade and out and back over a bridge. I stopped and walked through the aid station and took a water and Gatorade and started running again. My back was really tight but the first mile went by in just over 8 min. The next two miles my back wasn't loosening up at all, I stopped to stretch it for a minute at an aid station then tried to continue on. I walked most of mile 5 and part of mile 6 then I felt like I could run again. Apparently my back said it was okay to run but my stomach had a different idea. When I started to run, my stomach would knot up and I felt like I had to "squat". I went into a porta john and it was gas. My belly felt fine when I was walking but would knot up as soon as I would start to run. On my runs when I have to "squat" the urgency doesn't go away when I walk and after I go I am good to go. This was very different. I figured if this is what the day was going to bring me so be it. I am still going to have a blast out here. I pretty much stopped at every porta john for the next 15 miles or so. Sometimes it was gas, other times it wasn't. I wasn't about to take a chance and let one rip on the course, that would kill my finish line pic. (Not to mention be remembered as "The Aquaphor guy who sh*t himself at IMKY!!") I had a lot of fun walking with different BTers and chattin' it up with anyone that was around. The volunteers were great and the cold water and gatorade felt great! I saw JeepFleeb at the end of the first loop and he was great at telling me how good I was doing until I got to the run. :) I of course realized this because I was WALKING!!! ;) I actually did not know how well off I was coming off the bike. This day just wasn't going to be a good marathon day. Someone asked me if I was all right as I was stretching and I told them that I was fine, I wanted to negative split the run so I walked the first 13 miles. :) Before the turn around I saw CubeFarmGopher and chatted with him a bit then told him that I would try to run and catch up to him. I remember seeing the smile on Mike Rogillio's face, he looked like he was having a blast!! I said hello to Gaaary, he looked great as well. One of my coaches, Paul Fronhofer (pfron), saw me going the opposite way. As he passed by me he tried to get me to start running with him. He was holding 9:00 miles and I ran with him for about 1/4 mile but had to get to another porta john. Ugh!! I walked for a while with AbbieR, she was my savior with that tiny little piece of Tums she gave me. I saw CubeFarmGopher again while I was walking with Abbie and he yelled out that he thought I was going to catch up to him. I yelled back that Abbie looks better than he does! ;) I started to run for a little bit and said good bye to Abbie when my stomach decided to put the brakes on and I had to find a toilet FAST!! I spent a little while in that john, I leaned back a little and felt the whole thing wobble. I thought for sure it was going over!! WHEW!!! When I came out some of the walkers looked at me funny, I had to look down to see if I had some toilet paper sticking out or something. Nope, they probably just saw the thing move and wondered why. When I started running again I saw Abbie again. I said "Some friend you are, I go to the bathroom and you didn't even wait for me!" :) Somewhere in here I saw Jeep Fleeb again and gave him my fuel belt as I wasn't using it anymore. Thank you Jeep!! I think I was around mile 19 or so when Sean (trisean) ran by, I stayed with him for a little bit then I saw Brandon run by looking very strong. I tagged along with Brian for the last 3 miles or so, he was a machine out there. There were people cheering saying how strong we looked and I was thinking that Brandon was running the marathon that I wanted to run. He rocked his race and I felt honored to be able to run the last few miles with him. I will have to say that I told him with about a mile to go that I may have to use a john. He replied "Oh no you don't, you're running the rest of the way with me!" Thank you Brandon!! During the last mile we were talking about his finish pic. I believe it was decided hat backwards and sunglasses on. :) We turned the corner to the finish and I said I was backing off to give him the whole chute. Brandon played that chute like a pro, slapping the fans hands on both sides, hands up in the air, a great finish to his race. I decided to take the hat off and hold on to my sunglasses. I came through the finish looking pretty good because I WALKED for 17 miles! :) I slapped some hands coming into the chute then threw my hands up early and just held them up there until the finish. I got to the finish and saw them wheeling Brandon away in a wheelchair. When I came through the finish, I saw tnickerson and she walked me over to the convention center. I have to say that I didn't see that coming but what a race he had!! I was glad to be able to run the last few miles. It was awesome seeing everyone on the course.

Not drink the Ohio River, carry Tums from now on, sleep more than 2 hrs the night of a race!
Post race
Warm down:

I had a massage, ate some chicken and rice, got cleaned up a bit and headed back out on the course to walk or see some other BTers. I caught up with Mike Rogillio and ran the last mile in with him. Headed back out to see Shaun but didn't see him. I met up with Dollar, JeepFleeb and Jesse at the finish line and saw Shaun come in. Walked Shaun over to the food and then to his hotel. Hopped in the car and went back to the hotel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No sleep, drinking the Ohio River, GI issues on the run.

Event comments:

I need to come back to this race, I definitely can rock this course. The venue is awesome and the finish line has got to be one of the best in the world!!

Last updated: 2008-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:55 | 4224 yards | 01m 19s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/320
Overall: 24/1975
Performance: Average
No HR data, I would guess that it was in the 150's.
Suit: Speedo FastSkin Leg Suit
Course: Out and back TT start.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
05:13:33 | 112 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/320
Overall: 22/1975
Performance: Good
AHR 143 MHR 159. Seg 1 (22.5 mi) - 21.69 mph / Seg 2 (21.4 mi) 19.81 / Seg 3 (30.5 mi) 21.27 mph / Seg 4 (37 mi) - 22.1 mph
Wind: Some
Course: Out with 2 loops and back
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:32:39 | 26.2 miles | 12m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/320
Overall: 272/1975
Performance: Bad
Mi 1 - 8:10 AHR 147 / Mi 2 - 8:28 AHR 159 / Mi 3 - 8:50 AHR 155 / Mi 4 - 9:28 AHR 150 / Mi 5 - 11:12 AHR 132 / Mi 6 - 9:50 AHR 140 / Mi 7 - 12:12 AHR 127 / Mi 8 - 13:43 AHR 110 / Mi 9 - 11:48 AHR 112 / Mi 10 - 16:14 AHR 100 / Mi 11 - 15:17 AHR 96 / Mi 12 - 18:18 AHR 95 / Mi 13-18 1:20:24 AHR 100 / Mi 19 - 12:00 AHR 112 / Mi 20-21 28:41 AHR 102 / Mi 22 - 10:15 - AHR 125 / Mi 23-26.2 - 35:00 AHR 152
Course: Out and back twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-04 8:54 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2008-09-04 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1651494

User image

Pro
NorCal
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

Great RR!!  Killer swim and bike!!!  I'm happy to read that the butt you grabbed was not mine on the swim, I was grabbed way after the turn-around   It was great chatting with you on the run walk....funny thing is in my report I thought you took off ahead of me, not off to the toilets!!  Oopps, sorry I did not wait for you.  Way to battle through stomach issues.  Looking forward to the report when you crush the run course.  Congrats!!

2008-09-04 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

THis might just be coincidence, but since I was athlete #271, and you finished 272nd place, that's pretty cool.

It was a pleasure to meet you.  Thanks for the speedy company!

Great race, Bob.

~Brandon

2008-09-05 1:23 AM

User image

Melon Presser

Rockin' Bob Stocks. You prove every bit of that moniker!!! You ROCKED this course despite a crazy run!

I was exquisitely touched when you left an inspire for me the night before. For me, and YOU were doing the race! I think you know how much I needed it and how much it meant to me.

I've not laughed so hard in a very long time as when I read the pre-swim pee story.

You're not fooling me. I know what you like to do to ladies swimming slowly.

No matter what, but especially for cruising, that's a ssssssssmokin' swim split.

As for the bike ... ah, I knew you were trying to chase Hillary's azz all day. Get in line, get in line.

It was so inspiring to read about your run in the KY thread ... uh, I do mean IMKY and that you were persevering joyfully despite ... ewww. And ewww. And I'm so sorry.

But hey, you even rocked the portapotty.

I want to be you when I grow up. 'Kay?

Congratulations on a race through which you inspired and lifted so many others up.

2008-09-05 2:19 AM

User image

Mesa
Way to tough it through the gassy run. Beans are not a good source of pre-race carbs.

I am in awe of your swim. You had so much adversity and still swam 55 minutes. That is nuts!

You smoked that bike too!
2008-09-05 4:27 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Awesome race Bob!  Your swim and bike times are just incredible! One of these times the stars will align and you will add the run you are capable of. I'm impressed at the positive attitude and fun you had on the run.

Great job out there! 

2008-09-05 7:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas

Great Race, Great report, and above all excellent attitude.

Next time call me a month before your race and i Will haul your hay for you.  Can't wait until you have a grat run to go with the swim & bike

2008-09-05 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

Great RR Bob!  I'm glad you won't be known as the "Aquaphor guy who sh** himself at IMKY" too. 

You have such an awesome attitude about things (everything)!!   That sort of a run would have ruined my mood, but not you.  Awesome job!!  Cool

2008-09-05 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job and wonderful attitude man! You could have let walking get you down, but you didn't!

Congratulations!
2008-09-05 8:55 AM
in reply to: #1652242

User image

Champion
the colony texas

dude you crushed this course.. It was great talking with ya out on the run. Seeing friendly faces really helped me out a lot.

I'm still amazed your swim and bike times WOW !!!  did you find out why you got the penalty when you passed the people riding abreast??

2008-09-05 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Louisville, KY

Sorry your stomach was not cooperating during the run.  You still put forth an incredible effort.  Congratulations!

BTW, this is funniest thing I've read in any of the race reports say far, "The Aquaphor guy who sh*t himself at IMKY!!". 

2008-09-05 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1652242

User image

Champion

Great Job Bob.

I still think that I look better than Abbie.  Just because she had boobs didn't mean that she should have been the one to walk with.   

2008-09-05 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
enjoyed reading your race report.  congrats on another IM.
2008-09-05 3:07 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome race Bob you ahve great perspective Hope the GI blues are gone by now!!
2008-09-05 4:18 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Great race Bob.  Sorry you had the stomach issue.  Maybe you should get Timdude to send your some Ohio River water so you can train with it.  You know, swim a dozen laps at the pool and then drink some river water.  :-)

If you don't go pro with this tri thing, you might can make a career out of writng!  I really enjoyed reading your report!

~Mike

2008-09-05 9:09 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Great job Bob!

Rocking swim and bike splits. Nice way to gut it out and finish strong. Bummer that you had such issues on the run. Seems that river water didn't settle well with many.

I do admire your attitude a lot!

2008-09-05 10:18 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Great RR and great race! Man.. you killed the thing even walking 17miles. I can't wait to see you hook the run up too. It was great meeting you and I hope to see you again there next year.

Kenny
2008-09-05 10:32 PM

User image

Elite
Great job out there. Way to go Ironman.
2008-09-06 3:08 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
So the bobbystock breaks continue!  Bummer for you but what an awesome bike and a fantastic attitude.  You rock!  See you at FLT!
2008-09-07 9:56 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Bob nice start to the race.  Great job.  Sorry about the run, good job getting it done.  See ya at FLT.
2008-09-08 7:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Great race big guy! It was so much fun seeing you out there on the bike on your second loop. You looked so strong! Then on the run, you were rocking it! Glad we could catch up while you were here, so sorry we couldn't connect the day before the race. Maybe you should give IMKY another whirl and get the Kona slot next year?!?!?

Great job big guy!

2008-09-08 7:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed