General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits – Weight Size or Height Size – What’s more important? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-05 12:04 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Wetsuits – Weight Size or Height Size – What’s more important?
Hello,

Normally Wetsuit Manufactures organize their Wetsuit sizes in two dimensions: height and weight.

E.g.:
http://www.profile-design.com/wetsuits/size-chart/

Being relatively tall (6’1’’) and thin (160 lbs), I am often between two sizes.

In the Profile / Auquaman example, I could either take a size

- Medium (Weight 149 – 170) or
- X-Large (Size 6’1’’)

I fear two things:

1) If I take the M, which is ok for my weight but is made for a size of 5’5’’, if fear that there is not enough flexibility around the shoulder as the material will be pretty much stretched because of my height.
2) If I take the XL, I fear that the suit itself is much too wide, and that it will take too much water

This brings me to my questions:

Which of the sizes is more important?
What would you recommend?

I have checked previous posts, and so far the recommendation has always been to take the smaller size.

I know that that there a few brands (e.g. Orca, X-Terra) which offer sizes like Tall-Slim. But being on a tight budget , I am trying to find a bargain.

Take care
YouYou

2008-09-05 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1652947

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Subject: RE: Wetsuits – Weight Size or Height Size – What’s more important?

I'm tall & thin too and wound up going with the smaller size and it fits really well.  However, the difference between my height and the suggested height was only a few inches.

Are you going to be able to try these suits on before purchasing?  If not, do they have a good return policy?  I'm not sure about getting a suit for a 5'5" person if you're 6'1". 

2008-09-05 12:45 PM

User image

Try them on. Find a place around you that rents them and try them on.

The ones that fit me and are comfortable to swim in list 10-20 Lbs lighter than I am and usually are for just taller than I am. That's me. Your fit might be slightly to severely different.
2008-09-05 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

Trying them on is best.  If you can't find a place nearby, then call the manufacturer and ask them.  With my latest suit,I couldn't decide between medium/long and medium/large with Xterra.  I called them and one of their employees spent a fair amount of time talking with me about my measurements, weight, etc. 

She made a definite recommendation on which size was better for me but also said that there would be no problem with a return or exchange if the fit was wrong. 

If you go this route, just give yourself some time to try it on, return and exchange if needed. 

BTW - The fit was dead on and it was the size that I was not going to pick if i had gone with their website without calling.

2008-09-05 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1653251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

One option that is reasonably cheap but has a large range of sizes is f2r.  (www.f2r.com)

They have a clearance sale going at the moment for non-2008 wetsuits.  Look under Products>Wetsuits> click on Wetsuit Clearance Sale.  For the sizing chart you need to go to the page with their 2008 Sockeye range and click on the "size chart" link.  It doesn't work from the clearance page.  Looks like size M1 would be good for you.

Their customer service is very good - you can call them for help on exact sizing.  For the 2008 suits you can send them back (at their expense I think) if they don't fit.  For clearance models you can send them back for a credit on a new model if any problems.

There is a review somewhere on this site of the new Sockeye range.

I bought one of the clearance models and have been very happy with fit and performance.

Good luck.

Edited by danielc 2008-09-05 2:25 PM
2008-09-05 3:24 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I went to a triathlon store and tried on a number of suits in several different brands and sizes. I was a little over 10 lbs heavier than the recommended range for the suit that fit me best. Unexpectedly, it was also the least expensive of the suits I tried but I wasn't going to complain about that. From what I had read, fit is the most important thing. I had lost some weight from training before I went to get a suit. My weight is still about the same now, a couple of years later, but the suit seems to be fitting better than ever this season.

2008-09-05 6:41 PM

Extreme Veteran
Well, I'll give my standard wetsuit reply.

Call Emilo who you ask. Emilio Desoto as far as I know the only wetsuit manufacturer who will let you buy, try on, swim in, then return your wetsuit if your not happy.

With a 2 piece you have more options for fit and they can also custom make one if needed.

http://www.desotosport.com/about/testimonials.asp

Edited by davhamm 2008-09-05 6:41 PM
2008-09-05 11:46 PM
in reply to: #1653402

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colo Springs, CO
danielc - 2008-09-05 1:24 PM

One option that is reasonably cheap but has a large range of sizes is f2r.  (www.f2r.com)

They have a clearance sale going at the moment for non-2008 wetsuits.  Look under Products>Wetsuits> click on Wetsuit Clearance Sale.  For the sizing chart you need to go to the page with their 2008 Sockeye range and click on the "size chart" link.  It doesn't work from the clearance page.  Looks like size M1 would be good for you.

Their customer service is very good - you can call them for help on exact sizing.  For the 2008 suits you can send them back (at their expense I think) if they don't fit.  For clearance models you can send them back for a credit on a new model if any problems.

There is a review somewhere on this site of the new Sockeye range.

I bought one of the clearance models and have been very happy with fit and performance.

Good luck.

x2.

I am 6' and 150 (although I'm female, so I think my shape is probably a little different than yours...) and I have the F2R M1 and it fits great.
2008-09-06 11:26 AM
in reply to: #1654153

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
davhamm - 2008-09-05 7:41 PM

Well, I'll give my standard wetsuit reply.

Call Emilo who you ask. Emilio Desoto as far as I know the only wetsuit manufacturer who will let you buy, try on, swim in, then return your wetsuit if your not happy.

With a 2 piece you have more options for fit and they can also custom make one if needed.

http://www.desotosport.com/about/testimonials.asp

x 2. Nobody has better customer service than DeSoto. They are awesome, as is everything I've gotten from them, wetsuit included.
2008-09-07 6:16 PM

User image

Regular

Hello,

thanks a lot for all your replies.

Take care

YouYou

2018-01-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: 0

Hi,

Might be too late as it's now 2018, but there's a new website sizejungle.com where you just need to input your measurements and all wetsuits are displayed with the best size according to your measurements!
Rip Curl, Billabong, XCel, Roxy, etc...

Hope this helps!

jinluke

Edited by jinluke 2018-01-03 9:20 AM

2018-01-03 10:42 AM
in reply to: YouYou

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by YouYou Hello, Normally Wetsuit Manufactures organize their Wetsuit sizes in two dimensions: height and weight. E.g.: http://www.profile-design.com/wetsuits/size-chart/Being relatively tall (6’1’&rsquo and thin (160 lbs), I am often between two sizes. In the Profile / Auquaman example, I could either take a size - Medium (Weight 149 – 170) or - X-Large (Size 6’1’&rsquo I fear two things: 1) If I take the M, which is ok for my weight but is made for a size of 5’5’’, if fear that there is not enough flexibility around the shoulder as the material will be pretty much stretched because of my height. 2) If I take the XL, I fear that the suit itself is much too wide, and that it will take too much water This brings me to my questions: Which of the sizes is more important? What would you recommend? I have checked previous posts, and so far the recommendation has always been to take the smaller size. I know that that there a few brands (e.g. Orca, X-Terra) which offer sizes like Tall-Slim. But being on a tight budget , I am trying to find a bargain. Take care YouYou

I got a Medium Long for my first wet suit.  The brand that I got some said that they went a size down for a faster fit, some said they went a size up for a more comfortable fit, etc.  I ordered my on-line to same money and got the size that I said I needed (6"0, 165 lbs).  It felt pretty tight, but once I got in the water in expanded so I stuck with it for two years.  Then I left it home at one race and another guy who was borrowing his friends high end wetsuit offered to let me use his basic wet suit.  It was a size up (large) from what I had and I had my best swim yet.  I am not sure if that was all due to the wet suit but knew that I could swim well in a more comfortable wet suit so I ordered a size larger the week after that race.  

From the 3 wet suits that I have swam in (not a lot of experience here) I would say that the height is more important.  I feared that the wetsuit would be too loose and bunch up if I went a size up but it didn't. It still contracted to my body (just not at tightly)  The wetsuit however had to stretch and lot with my height when I had the medium long and that made my arms feel like they were pulling medical bands when I was in that sized suit.  That pull restricted my stroke, so the size up was the way to go for me. I could swim the way I had practiced, I didn't have any bunching, and I could get in and out of the suit much easier.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuits – Weight Size or Height Size – What’s more important? Rss Feed