United States
70 +F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 15m 20s
Overall Rank = 172/189
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to wake up in my own bed, drink coffee and ate oatmeal while perusing BT. Have to take advantage of the races in the area.
Event warmup:

Stretches, not much else. Watched wife throw sticks for the dogs to chase in the dewy grass.
Run
  • 5h 15m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

For not running much for 3 weeks, except for some intervals of 100yarder on the football field and some water running. Didn't know what would happen. Just hoped the foot problem didn't flare up out in the sticks...Thought about carrying cellphone to call up wife for a pickup if it happened. But realized she would never find me..

The first 6 miles went ok. Was chatting with some other MM runner about HIMs and IMs and than the course thinned out of runners with the Half people turning around...Was getting a little gassed and though, what if I made the turn around and just told the officials , I decided to do a half in stead....

Around 7 miles hat to use porta potty and let the MM guy take off. I was talking to much also (and yes it makes the miles go by, but my pace picks up and I was getting winded) Ran by myself for another two miles or so and than two more guys caught me. Older gent had IMC hat and had a maple leaf IM tattoo, but he soon left me and the other MM guy (we ran together for the next 10 miles or so). Kept each company and chatted alot about marathons...After the 13.1 turnaround (getting hot by than but had some breeze) started to walk some. Didn't have much in the legs, running style was a shuffle...Need to look at my heels of my shoes and see how worn they are.

Was very quite out on the roads except for the other MM runner and a couple others. Aid Stations were excellent with enthusiasm (HS girl wrestler/CC Team). Got the word at 20 that Seahawks were getting thumped...bummer.

Finally around 23 miles left the other MM runner and ran/shuffled/walked the final 3 miles to the finish....Had worms working the upper calves during the last push into the stadium and finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Here is a plug for SUPERFEET....For some reason (just a dumbass me)when I bought my new shoes, thought I could just use the generic insoles that come with the shoe. Well it screwed up my one foot with no support. Put the SUPERFEET back in and was able to run 26.2 miles. Never! Never ! will I do that again..

If you are in shape (I wasn't ) this would be a good race.
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled over to wife and dogs. Dogs act like they haven't seen me in years. Slobbered a kiss on the little lady and than hobbled over to the food table and was not really hungry for much there. Walked out to the Ridgeline and listened to wife tell me about her missing exits and driving around.

My wife is the best Athletic (yes I still consider myself athletic) supporter.. Puts up with all my whines and complaints....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, injuries, heat.

Event comments:

Very good small marathon. Tons of Marathon Maniacs. Good number of runners in Half...Very Friendly...Would do this again, but would be in better shape.

Last updated: 2008-07-24 12:00 AM
Running
05:15:20 | 26.2 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/189
Performance: Below average
10:20 first mile to make sure all systems were go, plus it was crowded with half marathoners. Mile 2 was 8:56, 9:47, 9:04, 9:31, 9:25, afterwards missed the markers and quit really worrying about splits.
Course: FLAT, Rural roads around Skagit County
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 10:01 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Skagit Flats Marathon

2008-09-14 12:40 PM
in reply to: #1660169

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Skagit Flats Marathon

Nice job and sounds like you had fun chatting with lots of different folks!

Superfeet..maybe need to get some for one of my daughters.

2008-09-28 11:50 PM
in reply to: #1660169

Champion
No excuses!
Subject: RE: Skagit Flats Marathon
Nice job, I did that race a few years back. Pretty cool little marathon.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Skagit Flats Marathon Rss Feed