General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advancing tri training and career Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-02-14 6:42 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Advancing tri training and career
My first and only triathlon was last October, and I've been training pretty consistently since, ramping up my workouts. Now I'm planning on signing up with a coach to take it to the next level. I'm really excited about it and will be shooting for a 1/2 IM towards the end of the season!

I'm also considering a change in career direction moving from a purely technical position to a 1/2 technical, 1/2 business position in my company. This new position involves 100% travel, but usually just to one location for 3 months to 2 years. A temporary or permanent relocation is also possible.

I'd like to take my career to the next level like I'm taking my training to the next level. Is it possible to do both? Am I setting myself up for failure in one or both arenas? Does anyone out there travel for a living and have a 1/2 IM on their schedule this year?

More info: I have a pretty lightweight lifestyle (single, no kids, renter).

Thanks for your advice and success stories,
Mike

2005-02-14 7:03 PM
in reply to: #117204

Veteran
SF soon!
Subject: RE: Advancing tri training and career
It's doable. I've got a lawyer friend who was able to balance training for an IM, traveling, and working 80 hours per week. It's all about time management.
2005-02-14 9:56 PM

I am travelling right now for my job. I dont have a bike here but the gym stationaries will have to do. If you look in advance you can find a decent gym and pool almost anywhere.
2005-02-14 10:33 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago

If there's a will, there's a way.  (wait, I think that's been said already.....)

You can accomplish anything you want as long as you're willing to "go to any lengths" to achieve it.

There will be sacrifices you'll have to make, but if you want to go the next step with your career and with triathlons, then you'll have to make those sacrifices...which...once they surface, you may not be willing to make.

2005-02-14 11:06 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas (Kansas City area)
Definitely doable with the travel. I trained for my first triathlon (Olympic distance) with a 100% travel schedule (Sunday - Thursday). For 1/2 IM, getting enough time on the bike is the tough part. Plenty of gyms (e.g. 24 hour) that you could access across the country with Nationwide memberships. I'd also suggest looking into Master Swim classes in the cities you're travelling too. Besides with all that travel, if you eat out as much as I do on the road, the regular exercise will make you feel better.

One last note, once I got into the grove of training while on the road, it was actually harder for me to get the motivation to train while I was back home. Your coach should have some good tips for you too.

Good luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advancing tri training and career Rss Feed