General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Insuring bike while traveling overseas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-12 6:31 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: Insuring bike while traveling overseas
Has anyone done this? With whom?  Home insurance?  Airline insurance? As best as I can tell you can insure a package up to $5,000 with the Airlines. What if my bike is worth more??

2008-09-12 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1671401

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA
Subject: RE: Insuring bike while traveling overseas

We called our home insurance company State Farm about this when we went to St. Croix and they were all willing to help us until we said that we race with the bikes.  They then turned and ran.  We have not found another company which will insure the bikes.  In the future I think we will ship our bikes with FedEx or UPS and use their insurance.  With the price of airlines and the way they handle the bikes this is a much safer way to go.  We purchased a new Velo box and after one trip to St. Croix and back the box now looks like it is 10 years old.  The airline (US Air) was the worst and the most expensive.  They bent the rails in the box, tore off one of the Velcro straps and bent one of the latches.  When I asked about the damage they shrugged their shoulders and said we are not liable.  For all it's worth I would find another way to ship your bike.

Tom D., what did you do to get your bike to St. Croix?

Eric

2008-09-12 9:23 PM

User image

Champion
Michigan

Well, it's free if it goes with me on the plane. It's almost 1200 dollars to send it with other companies. And I've checked a TON!!

I guess I'll take my chances.   Thanks!

2008-09-12 9:29 PM
in reply to: #1671723

User image

Master
I am dealing with the same issue to ship or send as luggage. Right now I am 50/50. I have heard horror stories about disgruntled airline workers taking out their frustrations on oversized bags and it has gotten worse since the some of the new baggage policies have gone into effect.

2008-09-13 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1671723

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

This is new.  What airline is shipping bikes for free with 5K of coverage.  When we checked with US Air, Northwest, delta, and Contintal none of them covered the lugage for 5K and none of them were free for bikes.  I have heard about coupons for some carriers but I have never found them.  Please let me in on this one..

As for shipping, after our trip to St. Croix we looked into shipping and found a service which was about 400 to ship the bike.  This was on par with what we paid to have our bikes with us on the plane and they had insurance for our $10K bike.  I will look around and see if I can find them again.  Where are you shipping that it costs 1200? 

E

2008-09-13 2:58 PM

User image

Check with your home owner's insurance first.

See what is covered and what isn't

2008-09-13 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1672400

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

Also, FYI, State Farm will not cover anything if you race on it. 

E

2008-09-13 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1672405

User image

Expert
Tallahassee, FL
triorbonk - 2008-09-13 4:04 PM

Also, FYI, State Farm will not cover anything if you race on it. 

E

Just out of curiosity, do they think that you race professionally?  That can be an issue for most companies.

Also, a lot of times the insurance company won't cover sports equipment when it's used for that particular sport.  For example, they may say "We'll cover your bike for theft, but not if you wreck it and mess it up while you're racing/riding on it."  Sounds like you did your research, but you may want to call your agent again just to clarify if "We won't cover it if you're racing on it" means "We won't cover it, period, amen," or if it means this coverage doesn't apply while you are racing.

2008-09-13 9:09 PM
in reply to: #1672540

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

I made it very clear that the bike was not used professionally but was used for racing and they would not help. 

On another note about shipping.  I thought this group would be a good one to try next time.

http://www.shipbikes.com/

They have their own specially designed box which looks strong enough, not as strong as my velo but not bad.  I believe they also allow you to include a tribag in the box as well.

E

2008-09-13 10:12 PM

User image

Master
San Francisco
I looked into getting a rider on my insurance to cover my bikes before I went to Lanzarote (plus I was doubly concerned because i went to Germany afterward).  To get a rider, it would have covered everything including accidental breakage or loss (like the rider for my wife's ring), but it was frackin expensive (about $1000/yr for $10K of coverage if I recall correctly).  The standard coverage on my homeowner's would cover it for theft only (minus the deductible...), but not damage.  So if the airline damaged it, it wouldn't be covered (I guess airline insurance would cover this, but not once you take it with you).  I wasn't concerned about my bike while it's properly secured in the case; I was concerned if TSA opened it and didn't secure it properly.  So, in the end, because of the cost to insure, I just took my chances and all was fine for me.
2008-09-14 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Gibraltar Michigan USA

Yeah, we have some long distance travel comming up this next year again and we need to research this topic all over again.  With the cost of airline bike travel and the lack of insurance coverage available for airline travel as well this is a big deal.  We always try to use tribiketransport as much as possiable but they don't go over water, nor do they go to all the races.  Is anyone aware of another way to get your bike to places like Kona, HI?

Thanks

Eric

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Insuring bike while traveling overseas Rss Feed