Canada
19C / 66F
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 28/77
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went Tim Horton's and got a muffin and a tea. Not much else.
Event warmup:

Acclimated to the water. Swam maybe 20 meters and ready for start.
Swim
  • 18m 14s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is my weakest event, since I have never really swum for more than a few seconds at a time until last year. A definate improvement though from the Duncan Hadley Triathlon, which took almost 20 minutes in the swim portion. I've spent some time in the pool and so the improvement is a welcome one.
What would you do differently?:

I waited until everyone was in the water and then started last. I worked my way up the field a little, but lost a good 20 or so seconds at the start. I will try to start near the middle of the pack next time, off to one side for some clear swimming. I'm just nervous that my breathing will get out-of-control if I start in the middle of the group.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was the worst transition! I don't have transition timings available, but I had some trouble with the helmet. Long story short, my helmet strap broke and I borrowed my wife's at the last minute. I soon discovered that one of the kids had borrowed the helmet as well! Let's just say trying to adjust the strap to fit with very short fingernails under time pressure is not the best way to finish an already poor swim! I'm sure it took an extra 30 seconds or so, but felt like an eternity. Lesson learned: always pre-check EVERY piece of equipment.

You can guess ;)
Bike
  • 44m 51s
  • 20 kms
  • 26.76 km/hr
Comments:

It felt great to get on the bike and out of the water! My legs felt alright but I had to take it a little easy due to the wet conditions. I still managed to catch many athletes on this portion, while being passed by 3 or 4. A good portion of the race for me.

Oh, another thing I did wrong - did not take the foil off of my gatorade, so when I twisted the top for a drink and suddenly realized the foil was still on! Another case of failing to adequately prepare for the race. Thank goodness it was a sprint.

Prepare properly.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition was very smooth. I realized I had been careless in removing my wetsuit because my running gear was soaked! Compare to the last transition though, that was no big deal.

Keep my runners dry. I think I'll also get those elastic laces that you just slip on, those seem to work well.
Run
  • 29m 34s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I felt good on the run. I was only passed once I think but caught a bunch of others. There was this one runner I was catching the first 2 kms, then just couldn't seem to close the distance in the next 2 kms. Finally, in the last km, I caught and passed her. Felt good and felt like I was getting faster as I ran, could have gone more.

More brick training. The up and downs of the hill were hard on my legs at first. I suspect bike/run combination training on steep hills would get my body used to that.
Post race
Warm down:

As it was a sprint, I just talked to my wife and her friend after the race and ate and dranks the stuff they had on-site. I felt great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swimming, although that seems to be quickly improving with some time in the pool. The transition mistake cost me upwards of a minute I'm sure, and those things are completely in my control... I have to be more diligent during my setup.

Event comments:

It was a fun race and the people were friendly and supportive, from spectators to volunteers to athletes. A really great race to enter.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-09-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:14 | 750 meters | 02m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 63/77
Performance: Below average
Suit: Shorty (not triathlon specific)
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:51 | 20 kms | 26.76 km/hr
Overall: 24/77
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills out and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:34 | 05 kms | 05m 55s  min/km
Overall: 26/77
Performance: Good
Course: cross country style trail running, steep pitches up and down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-17 12:44 PM

New user

Subject: Shubie Dooby Tri

2008-09-18 3:30 PM
in reply to: #1679987

User image

Lutz, FL
Subject: RE: Shubie Dooby Tri

I had a good chuckle when I read the T1 part of your race report.  In my second Sprint race I was determined to improve my transition times since I had not done so well on my transitions in the first race.  I had everything arranged perfectly using tips I had learned from BT only to discover that when I went to put my helmet on after a tough swim that the straps had been adjusted by my darling daughter the day before.  Ahhh.... nothing like trying to fumble with nylon and plastic while your arms are still recovering from the swim

The good news is that you had fun doing what most people would never think about doing.

2008-09-18 8:22 PM
in reply to: #1679987

New user

Subject: RE: Shubie Dooby Tri

So true.  Thanks for the comment, I'm glad I wasn't the only one.  My wife was actually standing by with the camera and snapped a shot while this was happening.  She never realized anything was wrong, since she doesn't compete... I think she was just glad I was standing still so she could focus the camera

I'd upload the photo if I knew how to do it on this site...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shubie Dooby Tri Rss Feed