World Triathlon Corporation / Trisport North
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 35m 48s
Overall Rank = 793/1299
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 17/45
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:30am! Sue and Scott's dad had the coffee made! I had a cup of coffee and a bagel and peanutbutter. Woke Scott up and my Dad drove us over to Deerhurst.

Event warmup:

We set up our transition areas and then went inside Deerhurst to put on our wetsuits and keep dry. It was raining cats and dogs. We didn't really do mucph of a warm up.
Swim
  • 44m 49s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

My shoulder held up pretty good during the race. The start was a little bit tricky for me. I felt a little overwhelmed with all the kicking legs and arms. I swallowed a bit of water in the start and felt a little dizzy due to the cold water in my eardrums but once I rounded the first buoy and swim thinned out I began to feel more comfortably. The swim finished at the green of the 18th hole on the golf course. They had stairs built for us to climb out of the water. The bottom was really muddy so they had volunteers pull us out which was great...I was still a bit dizzy so this helped. They had volunteers pull out wetsuits off which was great as my hands were so cold I could feel my fingers to pull it off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really...I did the best I could with the training I had done post my broken shoulder. My goal is to continue to strengthen my shoulder and improve my swim!
Transition 1
  • 05m 23s
Comments:

It was a long uphill run to transition. The swim finished on the 18th hole of the golf course and we had to run uphill about 400 m to the parking lot at Deerhurst where the transition area was. Most of my transition time was just getting there.
Bike
  • 3h 38m 39s
  • 58 miles
  • 15.92 mile/hr
Comments:

This course was HARD!! Being that we live in a flat area I had not really trained for this course properly. At one point, I lost momentum going up a hill and was not able to get my feet out of the pedals. I feel over on the road and obtained a bruise. I didn't really hurt anything except for my pride. I got up and walked the remainder of the hill. In total I walked my bike up two hills. My legs felt shredded by the end. The entire bike was done in the rain!

Train on hills...(however, I can honestly "been there, done that", so I due to the fact that I will never race this course again, I wouldn't change a thing!
Transition 2
  • 223m
Comments:

Good transition...it was still raining so I had to put on wet shoes!
Run
  • 2h 04m 34s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to run the entire thing no matter what. I was successfully until the last two miles. I then had to walk up the remaining hills and then run the downhills. My legs were soooo sore but I was excited about getting to the finish line to see my family, my hubby and to get my finisher's medal, t-shirt and hat!!

Not a thing...I had a great first half ironman race experience. In hindsight I am glad I picked a difficult one to do as my first...hopefully everything else from here on in will be a piece of cake!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked up the run course to stand and cheer on Scott with our family!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing...I did my best and gave 100%

Event comments:

What a great time I had at this race...loved every minute of it. Well...maybe not every minute but overall I had a blast! I loved racing in my home country and I definately felt the Canadian pride! IM did a great job with this race. It was VERY challenging and although I don't think I will do it again...I am definately glad I did it!!

Last updated: 2008-03-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:49 | 1900 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/45
Overall: 932/1299
Performance: Average
Suit: Full wet suit
Course: The swim course was a rectangle...my wave was second last.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:38:39 | 58 miles | 15.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/45
Overall: 950/1299
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The course can be described as VERY hilly and difficult. It was lolli-pop shaped. There were constant hills...up and down. They added two miles to the course as well as it was impossible for them to get an exact 56 miles.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 223:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:04:34 | 13.11 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/45
Overall: 793/1299
Performance: Good
Course: 13.1 out and back and ended with the last 5 km on the golf course. The course had rolling hills throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-20 5:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: Muskoka Ironman 70.3

2008-09-20 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1686031

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: RE: Muskoka Ironman 70.3
Great job on your first 1/2 ironman! Sounds as tough (or maybe even tougher) than Duke. how cold was the water? I am a cold wimp! Great run split, too!
2008-09-20 9:12 PM

User image

Expert
I looked at the pictures from the event- reminds me of IMLP this year.  I know from experience that it is not fun racing a hilly race in those conditions- great job getting it down!
2008-09-21 4:50 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Great report. I'm thinking about this one for next year.
2008-09-22 11:23 AM

User image

Pro
NorCal
I am sooooo proud of you!!!!  way to tough it out on the course, in the rain and on the hills.  I love how you already decided you are not racing there again, classic!  Congrats!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muskoka Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed