DRC Sports
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 07m 11s
Overall Rank = 7/117
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at friends house that was also racing. Woke up at 5:30, got dressed and ate some oatmeal with peanut butter.
Event warmup:

Stretched and checked biking gears/shifting. Should have cleared the hay from my T area.
Swim
  • 07m 58s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had an ok swim. A little battle with one guy toward the first buoy but I lost him rounding buoy 1. After that I was on my own.
What would you do differently?:

Probably more bilateral breathing. I was hooking right on the way in. I probably lost at least 30 seconds due to poor sighting on the trip back in. Overall I can't complain given I was first out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

The freshly cut field left tons of hay thorough out. Wet feet and hay are best friends. It took me forever to get the hay off my feet so I could put on my shoes. Then on my mount, I had a horrible time getting on the bike. Crazy stuff

clear the hay, get quicker
Bike
  • 34m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.64 mile/hr
Comments:

It was overall a nice course. Some head winds on the first part of the tee, mixed with cross winds. the out on the first t was more uphill, the other part of the t was rollery. Pain in knee didn't help but I was able to push through it.

I need to get better on the bike. The HR was in Z5 the whole time and there wasn't really anywhere to get it down (i.e. a big downhill). This is my off season focus because I should have cut that time by a fair amount.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Hay got the better part of me again. I knew that the run was my downfall with the floater in my knee.

practice more
Run
  • 22m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

To have a knee with a big locking, floating chunk of cartilage in it, I can't complain. I got passed by three people on the run and while I didn't run at a great pace, it wasn't bad given the lightening bolts of pain in my knee I was dealing with. Based on my Garmin, I think I lost probably 30 seconds/mile on the run due to my knee. In my opinion, this was a good job to push through and get it done.

Obviously, not have a floater in my knee. Assuming it was not there, then I think pacing off those that passed me and making a final burst at the end would have been the way to go.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediate icing of the knee, some water and then going back up the course to cheer on the newbies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad knee.

Event comments:

This was the first race in Vidalia. I think it was a great success. The local town used it as a rally cry for its citizens to get in shape. The local wellness center offered free training classes in the pool and team runs/rides to get everyone ready. There were lots of kids watching their parents, it was a really good atmosphere. DRC Sports, who actually put on the event, did a great job. Kudos to both DRC and the city of Vidalia.

Last updated: 2008-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:58 | 440 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 1/117
Performance: Average
Suit: point Zero 3
Course: Triangular in a local pond
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:53 | 12 miles | 20.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 7/117
Wind: Headwind
Course: T shape on rural road with very few cars. Flats with rollers, a few hills that made you shift out of big chain.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:38 | 03 miles | 07m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 17/117
Course: New subdivision cut into a former pasture. A big rolling hill to start. Went out and back then out and back again.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes