Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 74

2013-11-08 12:48 PM
in reply to: crowny2

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: Any REAL football fans here?

Where is everybody?

No more footy talk. 

2013-11-08 1:23 PM

User image

Chicago, IL

Everton are above Man U.

That's all that matters.

2013-11-08 2:20 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Everton are above Man U.

That's all that matters.

Amen to that!!!

2013-11-08 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
i dont come to the site very often any more - mentioned the reason before - I do when I see a post on this thread though
The EPL has much better quality this year thankfully. Teams like Southampton, Swansea and Everton are capable of playing better football and stretching the top 6 or so. Liverpool show signs of a resurrection and the top 4 are all vulnerable on any given day. Should be a roller coaster year....but a Manchester team will still be crowned champions i think.

Other Euro thoughts - I like Barca but they look weaker, no depth in the back and somewhat stale in the nature of their play. I dont like Real...just a preference.... i hope Athletico keep it going to make it interesting

Italy - Roma off to a fast start but they will fade....Juve wins again I think....good quality players in that league though.

Ze Germans are not doing as well in the CL - strange but i bet they get better - Germans always do..

WC - Mexico taking all domestic players to play NZ was a surprise...you never know what might happen there

MLS - playoffs have been anti-climatic - at least the West ones i have seen

How's that for some footy talk!
2013-11-08 4:07 PM
in reply to: Bcozican

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican i dont come to the site very often any more - mentioned the reason before - I do when I see a post on this thread though The EPL has much better quality this year thankfully. Teams like Southampton, Swansea and Everton are capable of playing better football and stretching the top 6 or so. Liverpool show signs of a resurrection and the top 4 are all vulnerable on any given day. Should be a roller coaster year....but a Manchester team will still be crowned champions i think. Other Euro thoughts - I like Barca but they look weaker, no depth in the back and somewhat stale in the nature of their play. I dont like Real...just a preference.... i hope Athletico keep it going to make it interesting Italy - Roma off to a fast start but they will fade....Juve wins again I think....good quality players in that league though. Ze Germans are not doing as well in the CL - strange but i bet they get better - Germans always do.. WC - Mexico taking all domestic players to play NZ was a surprise...you never know what might happen there MLS - playoffs have been anti-climatic - at least the West ones i have seen How's that for some footy talk!

Yay!  Love seeing your posts.  They are always good. 

Agreed on the quality of the EPL this year.  Wonder if the Euro Cup had an effect on the quality of play last year?  Maybe a bit?  Who knows.  Then again, I'm not certain other leagues suffered as much. 

I honestly do not think El Tri will make it to the WC.  And if they do, they have a LOT of work to do.  Part of me hopes they don't.  And I really felt bad for Panama.  Talk about a complete and gut wrenching 180 in just a few minutes.  Wow.  I really don't think Mexico deserves to go, BUT those are the rules.

MLS was a big downer for me this year, mainily because of the incredibly poor performance by the Fire.  Just hired their 4th manager in 5 years.  Friggen revolving door.  Only good thing out of the season was Mike MaGee and his MVP season, which he deserves.  He is the only reason we made it as far as we did.  Otherwise we would have been as bad as DC United.

Finally, Klinsy really is going to have his hands full come WC squad picking time.  Dempsey has fallen WAY out of favor (dumb move to MLS in many opinion, mine included) and Jozy is struggling in the EPL.  Had a chuckle at the Men in Blazers the other day saying he does better when the stripes are horizontal instead of vertical and should just lay down in front of the box to change their direction in his next match.  That young lad really does go through ups and downs.

2013-11-08 4:18 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
I cant comment on Dempsey as I am bias...against him....but fair to say I doubt he would make the same decision given the choice

USMNT - once the euphoria of the qualification subsides then the real problems need to be solved - namely at the back - who is the starting 4 back there?

I do think you could play 3-5-2...with cameron playing a defensive mid role behind Holden/Bradley.....but that would take some time to gel. Up front....need some speed, Altidore gives you strength but not real speed or trickery....need to find that second threat...could be donovan but not sure

How far they progress will depend on if they get a friendly dip into the fishbowl and avoid some of the big guns

2013-11-12 2:58 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican I cant comment on Dempsey as I am bias...against him....but fair to say I doubt he would make the same decision given the choice USMNT - once the euphoria of the qualification subsides then the real problems need to be solved - namely at the back - who is the starting 4 back there? I do think you could play 3-5-2...with cameron playing a defensive mid role behind Holden/Bradley.....but that would take some time to gel. Up front....need some speed, Altidore gives you strength but not real speed or trickery....need to find that second threat...could be donovan but not sure How far they progress will depend on if they get a friendly dip into the fishbowl and avoid some of the big guns

That is not a bad idea, and yes, our back line is our biggest weakness right now.  Some of the play back there is just so lackluster.  They really look like they don't know what they are doing and have not played in the back before.

Beasley was ok, and found a resurgence this year, but just lacks pace.  I miss someone with the physical presence of Gooch in the back but his days are done.  I'm just not impressed with the others in the back.  I don't get the hardworking backline feeling that we used to have.

All that said, I still can't wait for the WC.  I just love the tournemant.

2013-11-19 10:44 AM

User image

Champion

I really am pulling for Egypt to pull off some type of miracle match today.  I know it isn't going to happen, but I was really pulling for them.  Would do so much for their country to help unite them, even if just a little bit.

That and I was really pulling for Bob.  If they don't make it, he is gone.  But will probably get picked up by someone else, hopefully in Europe.

2013-11-19 12:17 PM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by crowny2

I really am pulling for Egypt to pull off some type of miracle match today.  I know it isn't going to happen, but I was really pulling for them.  Would do so much for their country to help unite them, even if just a little bit.

That and I was really pulling for Bob.  If they don't make it, he is gone.  But will probably get picked up by someone else, hopefully in Europe.

Rats.

So now how long till Bradley is out and the question on my mind is, where will he land?

2013-11-21 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
Not long apparently - I cant imagine that with all the upheaval domestically within Egypt that it was a great time to be there so maybe its a good time for Bradley to leave. He should land a new gig - plenty of other nations looking for a coach and lots of domestic teams I'm sure too.

Scouse derby this weekend....should be good for a stabbing or two! Both teams playing well - I'd give the edge to Pool up front so I think they'll edge it by a goal - 2-1....thoughts?

Mexico figured out that players that are vested in the countries well being are a better way to go for crucial matches....so now we'll see how they do in the WC
2013-11-21 10:59 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican Not long apparently - I cant imagine that with all the upheaval domestically within Egypt that it was a great time to be there so maybe its a good time for Bradley to leave. He should land a new gig - plenty of other nations looking for a coach and lots of domestic teams I'm sure too. Scouse derby this weekend....should be good for a stabbing or two! Both teams playing well - I'd give the edge to Pool up front so I think they'll edge it by a goal - 2-1....thoughts? Mexico figured out that players that are vested in the countries well being are a better way to go for crucial matches....so now we'll see how they do in the WC

I think what he did with what he had to work with was nothing short of miraculous.  A country whose pro league is suspended so few if any of the players were ever match fit.  I feel bad.  That said, what he did there politically was also remarkable.  Shown walking in some of the demonstrations, visiting people in the hospital after they were injured, etc.  I know he now wants to go to Europe.  World soccer talk says Norway looks like his next destination.  http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/11/21/after-egypt-decides-not-to-renew-bob-bradleys-contract-bradleys-next-job-may-be-in-norway/ 

I'll definitely be awake for that match Scouse derby.  I might be riding my trainer but I'll be watching it.    I really hope my boys in red continue their progress.  I love seeing Coutinho's impact on the game. You can see how his creativeness in the forward middle area really drives the other team bonkers and free's up the likes of Suarez and Sturridge.  Those two have become a magical pair that could truly have a massive impact on the club.  BTW: I still hate Suarez but I can't deny what he is doing on the pitch.

El Tri got in by the skin of their teeth.  They should be thanking us for at least the next 4 years.  I wonder if it will change some of the animosity that has been displayed by them to the US?

The next big date is December 6th.  Selection day.  Should be VERY interesting.

2013-12-05 11:39 AM

User image

Champion

One more day till the WC selection.  With the US in Pod 3, it is VERY likely we will be in a very difficult group. 

2013-12-05 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
What no words for the amazing quality of the hat trick from Suarez?
Just imagine if he had been sold to Arsenal..they would be running away with the league
2013-12-06 7:48 AM
in reply to: #4832149

User image

Champion
Trying not to make the whole thread about my boys. But it was a thing of beauty.

And I'm quite anxious about the draw this morning. By this afternoon there should be a million different analyses on what will happen.
2013-12-06 10:58 AM

User image

Champion

Watching the draw now.  Biting fingernails.

2013-12-06 11:18 AM

User image

Champion

And we have Germany, Ghana and Portugal.  Ouch.  This is NOT going to be easy.

I read yesterday that the 2010 WC had an average FIFA ranking of 26.  This year it is 21.1.  This is going to be one tough WC.

2013-12-06 11:55 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

Terrible draw for the US.
No exactly a stellar group for England, with the #6 and #7 ranked teams in the world.

Can't freaking wait!!!!

2013-12-06 12:01 PM
in reply to: Brit Abroad

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Brit Abroad

Terrible draw for the US.
No exactly a stellar group for England, with the #6 and #7 ranked teams in the world.

Can't freaking wait!!!!

If you go on average ranking, Group D is the hardest as the average FIFA rank in the group is 14.  Not easy by any means.  The US average is 15.25.  The two highest ranking groups in the draw.  Really wish we had been in H.    That group B, though, is going to be something to watch.

2013-12-23 9:35 AM

User image

Champion

You can bet your sweet patootie that I'm loving this season so far.  Depending on what happens this afternoon, we could be sitting top of the table at Christmas for the first time since 1997!  Now they finished 4th that year but would do wonders to their psyche. 

It is also interesting to see how bunched up everyone is at the top.  Still anyone's league to win...... or lose.

2013-12-23 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Parker, Co
What i find interesting is the quality of the league has increased substantially. Last year even some of the top teams were poor - but this year you have 8-10 teams that play really well - with the ball that is....Defensively the game has taken 10 steps backwards. Zonal marking is a farce...whoever decided that is a good way to defend should be hung drawn and quartered. Even Italy, famed for its defensive prowess, has suffered....teams just run end to end now...while that is entertaining it makes defense first minded coaches like me insane!!! I truly think I could step in and make teams harder to beat - recently watching Arse Man City with my daughter - i pointed out the space that Arse were giving to Man City in front of their back four and the lack of seeing man and ball when defending from midfield,....sure enough maybe 1 min later Silva slipped in to score, another goal was scored by poor coverage 5 mins later.

While I am ranting - how about free kicks....the high line is ok if you play it right but teams leave too much space for the attacking team to play the ball into, especially when its a wider free kick...it turns your own defenders and makes it 10X more difficult than it should be....retreat an extra 5 yards and reduce the target area behind you for goodness sakes.....

Glad to see the improvement and i really think Suarez is one of the top 3 players in the world
It should be a topsy turvy Xmas calendar - starting today with the Chelsea- Arse game
2013-12-23 11:59 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Bcozican What i find interesting is the quality of the league has increased substantially. Last year even some of the top teams were poor - but this year you have 8-10 teams that play really well - with the ball that is....Defensively the game has taken 10 steps backwards. Zonal marking is a farce...whoever decided that is a good way to defend should be hung drawn and quartered. Even Italy, famed for its defensive prowess, has suffered....teams just run end to end now...while that is entertaining it makes defense first minded coaches like me insane!!! I truly think I could step in and make teams harder to beat - recently watching Arse Man City with my daughter - i pointed out the space that Arse were giving to Man City in front of their back four and the lack of seeing man and ball when defending from midfield,....sure enough maybe 1 min later Silva slipped in to score, another goal was scored by poor coverage 5 mins later. While I am ranting - how about free kicks....the high line is ok if you play it right but teams leave too much space for the attacking team to play the ball into, especially when its a wider free kick...it turns your own defenders and makes it 10X more difficult than it should be....retreat an extra 5 yards and reduce the target area behind you for goodness sakes..... Glad to see the improvement and i really think Suarez is one of the top 3 players in the world It should be a topsy turvy Xmas calendar - starting today with the Chelsea- Arse game

This sums it up perfectly.  I was thinking the same thing a week or so ago. 

And some of the free kicks have been unreal.  The one Suarez did against Everton was unbelievable.  It literally was the only place he could put it for a score.  And he really has been electric.  Amazing what scoring goals will do to smooth over past transgressions.  LOL!  The biter reigns supreme. 

2014-01-02 11:44 AM

User image

Champion

Wow.  It has been a long time since the top was this contested.  Looks like 74-75 was the last time (http://worldsoccertalk.com/2013/12/24/the-last-time-the-english-football-top-flight-was-this-close-was-christmas-1974/) and I believe Derby County wound up winning that year so they came from outside of the top group.  Then again, that was when Clough killed Leeds. 

2014-01-02 12:02 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Well, my be joining the thread...

My passion for football as been renewed a bit.  Played a bit in HS and LOVED IT back then.  Watched "Soccer Made in Germany" religiously.  Even indoor when STL had the Steamers...  

I have found more and more to watch on NBC sports network which is cool... and even playing a bit of FIFA 14.

I guess I default to MU as "my team" without any real reason other than popularity.  I'm sure I will figure out who I like more that I watch.  Right now?  I just like watching games - any games - without much favoritism.

2014-01-02 4:01 PM
in reply to: Kido

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Kido

My passion for football as been renewed a bit.  Played a bit in HS and LOVED IT back then.  Watched "Soccer Made in Germany" religiously.  Even indoor when STL had the Steamers...  

I have found more and more to watch on NBC sports network which is cool... and even playing a bit of FIFA 14.

I guess I default to MU as "my team" without any real reason other than popularity.  I'm sure I will figure out who I like more that I watch.  Right now?  I just like watching games - any games - without much favoritism.

ManUre?!?!?!?!  That's like cheering for the Yankees (patooey!). 

2014-01-02 4:13 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Originally posted by crowny2

Originally posted by Kido

ManUre?!?!?!?!  That's like cheering for the Yankees (patooey!). 

Well, I could have taken the easy route and just pick the team with the best record and go with them!  MU is stinky this year...  much like the Yankees will be, I suppose.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Any REAL football fans here? Rss Feed  

of 74